• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

03` Vertical Escape, Opinions on sled.

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Hello guys my stepson just bought his first mountain sled, he is coming off an 01 Edge X 600 121 to his new sled a 03` Vertical Escape 800 w/ 159, that is Black with the Red and chrome highlites, this sled is an Awesome lookin machine, he picked it up for 3k and has had new Motor, shocks rebuilt, suposide clutch service with in 1k miles, but to me the clutch spring which is a white w/red stripe, looks kinda old and worn than 1k miles , other than that it has the complete SLP pipe and can , and all the walker evans shock have been rebuilt and the rear one in the skid has been replace, has ice scratchers, billet choke lever and Electonic reverse. I was actually surprised when we measured the ski stance to how wide the front end is for a mountain sled, my Summit has a 38inch stance and the Polaris has a 42inch, Is this sled hard to sidehill? or get layed over?

So what is some things to keep in mind on this sled and things to watchout for from you guys who have and have riddin this type of sled. any good mods you could suggest too.

I ride a Doo but kinda wish my sled was a clean as this one is.

Thanks, Wildcard28

Last edited:
T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
I bought one new and still ride it. It is an awesome sled. The slp single pipe really woke up that sled. They came with really good shocks and if they have been recently rebuilt, he should be real happy with them. As for must do's, that would be the slp intake covers to keep snow and water out of the air box. Add the 1 1/2" flow rites on either sife of the dash. Those two things make a huge difference on deep powder days. Check to make sure the headlight is still sealed up well around the hood. The foam fell out of mine 2 years ago and it did on a couple of other edges I've been around. When the foam falls out and you stick the nose in fresh powder, the air box gets a big shot of snow and the sled just falls on it face. Are you riding it at the same elevations as the previous owner? If not, you may have some jetting and/or clutching to do.

I
Nov 26, 2007
Everything theultrarider said and replace the primary spring, they start wearing out when you install them. Put in 19/42 gears, remove the sway bar, powder pro skis, and a highrise seat.

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Ya I beleive the sled will be pretty much riddin in the same areas and elevation as the previous owner did, we are around 6k ft elevation.

I mentioned the swaybar remove to him and I think he want to get the feel of the sled before he removes it, It also has a 6inch riser on it so it feels pretty good for the bars, Of course for me the first mod I would do to it is a taller seat but I`m sure he will do that later on.

what are these sleds usually gear at stock? How much horsepower are they stock and after the SLP setup?

Thanks, Wildcard28

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Stock they are 130 something, about 150 with a single and 160 with twins. Mine started out stock, then the single after a couple months, then twins after a couple years with the single. The twins pull hard at wot. The single is a huge gain everywhere. As for the swaybar, some like them some don't. icp said pull it. many do just that. Personally, I prefer the sway bar. But then again I am 6'1" and 240 and have no issue throwing it around. They are much more stable in the bumps with the swaybar. Ride it first before pulling it. When you do pull it, do it right and REMOVE it, do not just cut it off. It only takes 5-10 minutes to pull it without destroying it. Unhook the trailing arm on one side. Then drill out the rivets holding the guides on the bulkhead where the swaybar goes through it. At that point it will just pull right through the bulkhead and out. If he wants to put it back on, reverse the process and it will only take a few minutes once again. The stock gearing on that sled is 19/39. I too went to 19/43. You have to get the next size longer chain. It pulls alot harder on the bottom and helps to keep belt heat in check. Very common mod. either 19/42 or 19/43. With my weight I went to the lower gearing, and I like that the chain is not piched as tight as the 42.

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Stock they are 130 something, about 150 with a single and 160 with twins. Mine started out stock, then the single after a couple months, then twins after a couple years with the single. The twins pull hard at wot. The single is a huge gain everywhere. As for the swaybar, some like them some don't. icp said pull it. many do just that. Personally, I prefer the sway bar. But then again I am 6'1" and 240 and have no issue throwing it around. They are much more stable in the bumps with the swaybar. Ride it first before pulling it. When you do pull it, do it right and REMOVE it, do not just cut it off. It only takes 5-10 minutes to pull it without destroying it. Unhook the trailing arm on one side. Then drill out the rivets holding the guides on the bulkhead where the swaybar goes through it. At that point it will just pull right through the bulkhead and out. If he wants to put it back on, reverse the process and it will only take a few minutes once again. The stock gearing on that sled is 19/39. I too went to 19/43. You have to get the next size longer chain. It pulls alot harder on the bottom and helps to keep belt heat in check. Very common mod. either 19/42 or 19/43. With my weight I went to the lower gearing, and I like that the chain is not piched as tight as the 42.

Thanks good info, I can`t wait to ride it myself.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
nice sled....Carry extra h2o/oil pump belt....change it in the warm shop so you know just how to do it in freezing cold. replace once a year no matter what. You also should buy the kevlar gates belts not the polaris ones if you can find them.

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
I would change the front engine mounts. The engine will naturally tear the engine mounts apart and then you start twisting the crankcase, which leads to crank failure. Then you need to check those engine mounts every ride by lifting up on the VES extensions and checking for any movement. Double nut the engine mount bolts because they come loose as well. Tighten the torque stop up by the clutches, to zero gap. And replace it when the rubber starts to disentegrate.

Look for cracks in the tunnel below both footrests and beneath the black plastic trim pieces at the rear. If you have cracks then you need to reinforce them before riding. The rear crack repair involves 4 structural rivets and a 4 inch long 3/4 x 3/4 aluminum angle. You also need to drill a round hole in the exact end of the crack itself to reduce stress concentrations that otherwise would allow the crack to continue to grow. Which is a bad thing. The front tunnel crack repair involves an 8 inch piece of aluminum angle that you install bolts on either side of the crack, in order to take the full force of any future trailing arm front impacts. Use stainless steel bolts and nylon insert lock nuts. For the front 1/4" or 5/16" bolt, you are drilling a hole through the center of a preexisting hole in your sloping footrest, and then through your new angle. To attach the back end of this angle, I then used 3 stove bolts through the bottom of the footrest that were set in a pattern that matched the dimples in the footrest. Better to bend up a trailing arm than crack your tunnel.

Check the slider bolt that is behind the front idle wheel because it likes to come loose.

Check the thermister wires to see if they are bent as they come out of the top of the cylinder head. Replace if bent.

Check the gears. Replace if teeth are not symmetrical.

Change out as many bearings as you can get to. Especially at the rear idler wheels, and the front drivers.

Check the shock grommets to see if the bolt hole as been oversized from wear.

Check the VES diaphragms for tiny wear marks, even though they are not yet leaking oil.

Carry extra VES diaphragms, VES gaskets and an extra reed case. And of course the tools to replace them in the field. The sled will fall flat on it's face if either you break a reed or blow a hole in a gasket.

J
Apr 5, 2008
LEWISTON,ID
800 escape

I had a 2004 Escape I bought it new, my riding buddy still has it. Great sled from the begining and responded well to mods and was a blast to ride.
SLP single pipe, SLP airbox mod, Flowrites in the dash,Boysen rage cage reeds,bored carbs,plug decompression holes, stock gearing, balanced clutch.
I would replace the primary and secondary spring, I do it about every other year no matter what condition it looks in. I would use Redline Oil also.
Carl's Cycle was great to deal with, helped me do mods that did not break the bank but made it run better than the average 800.
Hope he enjoys his new sled as much as I did mine.

03RMK800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kremmling, Colorado
I really like my 03 RMK 800 153 w/ SLP pipe/can, even without the Vertical Escape package.

Add the wide bearing to the engine.
The ski stance width is supposed to be adjustable down to 38".

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Good info and thanks for all the advice guys, I know this sled is going to be fun I want to ride it also. He hasn`t been on this forum before and I`m my stepson (Justin) would be excited to read all the comments and suggestions you have all said and recommended.

Wildcard28

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
We had the sled in my shop today and widened the front part of his trailer, the edge x 600 and vertical escape 800 side by side were to wide to fit on his trailer so were modifiying the trailer, I took a few pics at his house to let everyone see what they have givin all the advice on, Pretty awesome sled. first time I actually slightly rode a sled with reverse, I Want Reverse!!, Lol.

Thanks, again guys for all the infor and suggestions, anymore to add, Justin will be over for dinner tomorrow and he will get a chance to read this so let her rip..

Thanks, Darren

010.jpg

015.jpg

018.jpg

016.jpg

Last edited:
T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Congrats!!! That looks to be in great shape and already has the slp single and boards on it. Make sure to do the intake covers, flowrites, and high flow airbox mod...all from slp. Pretty cheap mods. Most days it takes a dyno truthfully to tell the difference. Others will argue that the can feel it. BUT, on a deep powder day, The difference is amazing as it will run great (same as always) even when snorkeling throw the snow. Now it sounds like Dad needs one too:beer;

smwizzz

Lifetime Membership
May 6, 2008
Ft McMurray, AB
Nice ride

Impressive. Pretty much all the major points were coverred. You want an Almond/Red polaris primary spring. Change the counter weights to hit the right rpm. Can't remember what I ran for a stocker in the secondary. I do know I ran a dual angle helix... again can't remember the #'s. As far as the gearing goes. I stay as high as the motor will pull...=track speed. The stock 800 gearing is a good gear. Top gear was 21 teeth I think. On the 700 it was 19 teeth and the lower was 39. Can't remember the bottom on the 800. One tooth on the top will do a major change. One tooth on the bottom will be a minor change. A 2:1 ratio is pretty close to what you want. If the sled won't pull it then 2.1 or 2.2:1 is ok. A simple way to check your clutching is to take a felt pen and start at the hub of each clutch and draw a line outwards. Take a pull and when you are done the pull you want to check kill the engine. The pen will be wiped away by the belt. This way you will know where the belt is running and if it is shifting all the way. A good book on clutching is Olaf Aaens clutch tuning manual. It has a lot of good info. He also has a carb tuning book that is worth looking at. Both are about $20 each.

I'm not sure on the 03 but on the 02 RMK you could widen or narrow the ski stance. Worth looking at.

D. :beer;

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Congrats!!! That looks to be in great shape and already has the slp single and boards on it. Make sure to do the intake covers, flowrites, and high flow airbox mod...all from slp. Pretty cheap mods. Most days it takes a dyno truthfully to tell the difference. Others will argue that the can feel it. BUT, on a deep powder day, The difference is amazing as it will run great (same as always) even when snorkeling throw the snow. Now it sounds like Dad needs one too:beer;

Ya, his sled is making me think, but not going to jump ship yet.

My doo is a good sled also going to love the new Triple this year I`m sure and have shaved it down too, seems pretty light.

Wildcard28

My summit >>> rest is in my signature >> http://s375.photobucket.com/albums/oo197/ddcard/

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Impressive. Pretty much all the major points were coverred. You want an Almond/Red polaris primary spring. Change the counter weights to hit the right rpm. Can't remember what I ran for a stocker in the secondary. I do know I ran a dual angle helix... again can't remember the #'s. As far as the gearing goes. I stay as high as the motor will pull...=track speed. The stock 800 gearing is a good gear. Top gear was 21 teeth I think. On the 700 it was 19 teeth and the lower was 39. Can't remember the bottom on the 800. One tooth on the top will do a major change. One tooth on the bottom will be a minor change. A 2:1 ratio is pretty close to what you want. If the sled won't pull it then 2.1 or 2.2:1 is ok. A simple way to check your clutching is to take a felt pen and start at the hub of each clutch and draw a line outwards. Take a pull and when you are done the pull you want to check kill the engine. The pen will be wiped away by the belt. This way you will know where the belt is running and if it is shifting all the way. A good book on clutching is Olaf Aaens clutch tuning manual. It has a lot of good info. He also has a carb tuning book that is worth looking at. Both are about $20 each.

I'm not sure on the 03 but on the 02 RMK you could widen or narrow the ski stance. Worth looking at.

D. :beer;

Actually the stock gearing on the 03 Escape was 19/39, which was pretty good. I finally have dropped mine to 19/43 and I really like the way that works out for me. I ride tight trees and alot of technical stuff. That, and I weight 240 in street clothes. My boy @130 ripped on it with stock gearing in it. He saw 300-500 more prm out of a pull than I did. The gearing got me my r's back.

Premium Features