• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help i miss my king

powdershred

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2009
Sicamous BC
i have a05 kkefi i bought new in Nov 07 stock with riser,mbrp can ,boss seat ,loved it... 1000 miles on it .Last march 08 it started acting up it would lay down on full throttle then it would clear up. It got worse and now does it all the time ,idles fine but wont rev over about 6000 lays down like its in limp mode. No codes im out of ideas , heres what i have done. voltage regulator, injectors,power valve cables checked,fuel pressure tested,stator tested. its been a year now still wont run. Dealer can not figure it out ,blown some money on this thing. It is still like new ,im riding a m8 now but would love to fix my king. Any ideas????

Last edited:

SaberKitty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2006
Foothills of Grosse Gelb
Hmm...fuel, air & spark...

Does it run better on a stand with no load on the track or does it lay down?

Broken reeds?

Flakey coil?

Blown servo motor fuse?

Blocked air intake? Mouse nest, shop rag, etc.

The simplest thing is usually the right answer. I'm going with the plugged air intake.

powdershred

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2009
Sicamous BC
i dont know much but we looked this thing over pretty good it was at the dealer for qwite awhile all that stuff has been checked:

SaberKitty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2006
Foothills of Grosse Gelb
EFI or carb?

The air intake on a King isn't what I'd call a glance at it and call it good setup. Has the baffle (#6) been taken out and verified the air intake tract is clean? Has #20 been thorougly checked as well?

02.gif

sled-ed

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
High Prairie, Ab
Crank could be out phase! If you've ever blown a belt it's common that the crank will twist and throw your timing out.

arcticridr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 11, 2003
Redding Ca
Shred, I would take it you or the dealer have checked all the grounds???? They have a habit of breaking!! Also where the main loom runs down next to the oil bottle,,,, it runs thru an aluminum piece with really sharp edges, this was a problem on these sleds as it would rub the harness raw!! I would also disconnect the safety switch and the hand and thumb warmers those three things when shorting out can cause all kinds of ghosts to come and go!!! Keep us posted and good luck!!!:beer;:beer;:beer;

powdershred

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2009
Sicamous BC
:)I will go over everything talked about here and then some today. gonna swap out servo motor again also. im tellin ya there is areal ghost in there somewhere:beer;

powdershred

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2009
Sicamous BC
well.. spent some time on my king kitty today. Heres what i did. Checked reeds ,compression, air intake,swaped out servo motor ,checked power valves ,electrical for rubs or broken wires, length of power valve cables, clutches look good . Ecu has been changed out ,injectors have been changed,fuel system cleaned,fuel pressure checked at dealer. This machine is like new, low miles, but it will not run over 6000 rpm, well it did go a few periods of testing. I originally was thinking servo motor or power valves but not any more ,now leaning towards fuel supply but dont really know. This thing just lays down at 5500-6000 rpm. What should i check next. Could there be something partially blocking fuel flow? Man i have lost some sleep but at least i have a m8 to ride..:beer;:D

C

chevota84

Oct 5, 2008
Make sure the ground is actually grounding. I know somebody already posted it and you probably checked it but a buddy of mine with an M1000 was having a similar issue and sent it to a dealer. After a week they put in a new injector and sent it back, no change. he was messing around with it and found the ground was broke off the tunnel side, fixed it and it has been running great.

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
just a long shot but i have see the fuel line get soft and under vacuum collapse on it's self and lose flow, also check for a pinched fuel line. if it lays down at the rpm listed has to be fuel or air. pull the air box top off (gutted air box) and go for a short lap.

Last edited:
R
Nov 28, 2007
Enumclaw Wa.
Wont RPM !!!!!

Get rid of the light weight can and put the stock muffler back on and see if your problem goes away have seen this more than once !!:)
well.. spent some time on my king kitty today. Heres what i did. Checked reeds ,compression, air intake,swaped out servo motor ,checked power valves ,electrical for rubs or broken wires, length of power valve cables, clutches look good . Ecu has been changed out ,injectors have been changed,fuel system cleaned,fuel pressure checked at dealer. This machine is like new, low miles, but it will not run over 6000 rpm, well it did go a few periods of testing. I originally was thinking servo motor or power valves but not any more ,now leaning towards fuel supply but dont really know. This thing just lays down at 5500-6000 rpm. What should i check next. Could there be something partially blocking fuel flow? Man i have lost some sleep but at least i have a m8 to ride..:beer;:D

J

John

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 27, 2003
Boise, Id
I feel your pain! The King Cat seems to have more than it's fair share of gremlins. I was ready to part mine out but (knock on wood) it is ripping now. :D I wish I could help you out with some advice but it sounds like you have done just about everything I can think of aside from the STM chip. :light: If I was you I'd try that, the powervalve system is, IMO, JUNK! Good luck! :beer;

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Did you check the TPS and the timing trigger? Does it hold the 6000 R's or drop to an idle. If it just slowly drops R's I would think the guys guessing at a fuel feed problem would be right on track. If it just sits at 6000 I would look at the timing trigger first.

Premium Features