• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

IF YOU WERE TO SIT WITH THE ENGINEERS TO DISCUSS THE THE AXYS... WHAT WOULD YOU ASK?

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I would like to be able to get a 174, 3.5" pitch, with belt drive and aluminum drive shaft. I know this is better geared down and will need a tensioner but I buy an AXYS for light weight and I am not thrilled that I have to have the heavier 3" track and chaincase for this length. Also I'm sure with the new low temp t-stat I can run the ported snow flap. I hate the solid version.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
So... lets get this thread rolling again now that we have 3 years and a new AXYS under our belts.

First off... I want to keep this constructive.
So... No comments like "this XX-part is Junk"... "or Ride a Doo/Cat/Yami"
I'll delete those quickly.

Please keep comments about others posts in this thread to a minimum.. Just a place to air YOUR desires for the 2017 sleds.

If you want to see something improve... For example the A-Arms... Be specific with your input... articulate what you like or don't like... and give some examples of how you would improve it.

The engineers and production managers DO look at these kinds of threads... and value solid input...

So...

What would like to see in the 2017 Axys-Mountain Line up?

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
here's my take for the pro rmk or axys rmk, i'm not referring to the other models.

#1 - tether
delete the key(useless) and use a magnetic coded tether instead. I Can't believe all your pro riders ride tether less promoting the brand.

#2 - 3inch/QD
get a 3inch track with a quickdrive on the snow, if you have to add a tensioner then so be it. Keep a chaincase as an option for the guys who wants it.

#3 - steering
better bushings/mounts and remove the slack please.

#4 - weight reduction
weight reduction, weight reduction weight reduction, i know peak HP sells more sleds than lower weight. But people who knows sleds,cars,bikes etc knows it's all about power-to-weight. I know shaving more significant weight from the pro rmk will be hard, but if you can't get more weight saving at least reduce rotating mass where you can, small gains makes a big difference when on the rotating parts.

#5 - tunnel
powder coat/paint that tunnel

#6 - harness/electrical
never go back to an unsealed harness, seriously reliability is very important in the backcountry.

#7 - a-arms
i understand the idea with the "weaker" a-arms but most people run aftermarket chromoly a-arms with good results. The new 36" front end might bring more strength to the stock a-arms but we haven't seen them on the snow yet.

#8 - ice scratchers
make them reversible, i don't care what or how, just do it :D

#9 - shocks:
never go with air socks as standard
top of the line optional shocks
keep using a lightweight shocks package on base model

#10 - factory read skid coupling:
something adjustable from 0 to x amount of coupling. Sled stuck in the snow pointing to the sky is good for facebook/instagram pics but not really useful out there. Or even better recycle the timbersled aftermarket skid and use it into your rmk.

#11 - idea i read here
naked/cheap brand new pro rmk for modders, warranty only the engine.

#12 - snow
make everything possible to reduce snow accumulating on/in/under the sled

#13 - rails
iceage option?

#14 - gearing
quickdrive gearing options

#15 - snowcheck
make snowcheck worth it, last year with the 850 was the first time i would have snowchecked a sled.

pankyy340

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2012
Wisconsin
After having a few years on my 2017 Axys 155 there are some things that I would really like to see.

1. More durable paint or powder coat on the spindles and rails mine were chipped after the first ride.

2. Actually make the dash storage usable.

3. Please make a 146" Pro RMK not a SBA or SKS a real PRO RMK. most of my riding is done in northern WI and the UP except for one trip out west every year and as much as I like the SWB and SKS they are no where near as capable as a RMK. They would sell a ton in the mid west.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I think it would be huge for Polaris to start admitting to and addressing problems! Like the toe holds... and rpm fade... and weak a arms... and track wear... and for god sakes get rid of the stupid “carbon fiber” rear bumper. I mean I get being “proud” but I would say there is more pride in admitting faults than stick with the same chit that don’t work year after year.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Missed one, the collared drive shaft. I mean I forget about it most of the time, but when I see it I cant help but think WTF, fix that chit, its been 7 years.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Well it looks like Polaris is listening to some as we have seen improvements in power and torque. Also we hope longevity of the motor. I do see some other minor changes to my 19 too. An ignition key that has cuts on both faces, and that indicates to me that there may be more than 4-5 keys for all Polaris's now?? Also the A-arms are shorter and maybe stronger due to less leverage?? Also better connectors and upgraded TPS.

I would still like an outside air temperature display on the gauge though and this would be super easy. 3.5" pitch track would also be cool but just happy for now that the lugs are clipped and not just the non-lugged windows. For those looking for a tether, yes it should be an option but surveys tell us only 20% of riders that have them, use them.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
As far as going forward advancements in the drive system and rear suspensions are gonna be huge, would be nice to see the drive system be revamped/repositioned so these things can get narrower and SMALLER. Smaller=lighter and more maneuverable. If you guys haven’t checked out the Cat patent in the cat section it is pretty neat, worth a look.

High end shocks would be nice. The current offererings are meh.

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
I would love it if they'd narrow up the very bottom of the tank
my calfs hit that area and it pushes my legs out kinda uncomfortable on the knees

it funny because the tank is narrow then lips out right at the bottom

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut
i hear a lot of folks talking about the footwells on the axys. the same problem had existed for me until last year. my fix was ditching the klim boots and picking up a set of motorfist alphas. no more stuck toes. until they fix the footwell i'll keep the smaller boots and my tibia/fibula in one piece.

my list:

1. Tether
2. Heat exhanger up by the jackshaft to melt the snow that collects there. i don't care how many ounces it adds when it takes away 30-50 lbs of dense snow.
3. Factory skid plates for the belly pan.
4. Paint the tunnel on all mtn sleds and actually make it stick.
5. Better shocks

i wouldn't say no to an e-start like doo has. i'm just glad the engines keep improving with regard to reliability. (i hope)

Madtown

Premium Member
Nov 8, 2008
Madison,WI
Few things the Axys chassis could be improved upon next year that would make me snowcheck for sure.

-smaller seat, needs to be lower, shorter & more narrow
-fuel tank shape could be improved upon & maybe drop a gallon
-TOE LOOPS!!!! Make them adjustable for f*** sake!
-Optional Fox Floats instead of WE shocks

R

Ride_The_Rockies

Jun 19, 2002
Utah
Engine Torque Arm
Better / longer lasting motor mounts.

Mentioned before that I strongly agree with:

Better electrical system. Using black electrical tape to hold important components to a support bar on a $14,000 machine is not acceptable.

Tether which has been mentioned many times

Premium Features