• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Front Suspension mod for King CAT 900 efi

B
Sep 25, 2013
Provo, Utah
If you are having a hard time finding floats i'd probably go with Walker Evans. normally you can get a set for around $150 and they give you the same advantages as floats. if you are set on getting floats you are looking to spend around $300 for a good used set.
As far as installation the WE will bolt right in if you have your stock shock inner bushings (they sit in the bolt holes of your shocks) and the Floats will also bolt right in. you may have to grind down your stock aluminum spacer where your shock bolts to your spindle but you shouldn't have to do anything else.

I'll ask my Bro to do a write up of the work he has done to his rear suspension.
These changes make the 1M's great mountain sleds!

H
Feb 17, 2014
washington
thank you for the link...they would be 17 ctc i think so they should work. New to forums so not sure what i am doing all the help is great. Also new to sleds just got into two 1m's one 600 and one 900. Would love for the help on the rear setup too. Not set on floats just seems that lots of people are using them...( con not having a spring... pro ajustability !!!! ) So not set on anything. Just need to replace my front shocks (right one did not want to come back up) and want to upgrade. It is more about making it better and what works good. Any problems with tie rods going to 17 + shocks? More travel and more height sounds good to me. ( like hp's never have to much) But what about the back..sj drop brackets ?? How much higher will the front be with 17 inch shocks on it? Also wanting to go to a longer skid this summer, maybe a m's skid? Sorry i will stop rambling Just need to get shocks now and do not want to rebuild or replace the stock ones. looking for input.

P s you all have some sick looking sleds ( they look like the ones in my dreams...)

507Sledz

Jan 27, 2014
RE:

Halflink,

http://www.ridefox.com/filter.php?m=snow&t=shocks&f1=ridingstyle&v1=Mountain&ref=topnav

https://www.denniskirk.com/fox-racing-shox/front-float-ii-airshox-shock-kits.p106025.prd/106036.sku

http://www.shoptomssnowmobile.com/catalogasset.htm?catalogid=-403

http://sale-fire.com/Fox Float Shock?p=gcp&sf=48&gclid=CI3g9bT62rwCFY1cMgodxykATQ

Here abunch of links for fox floats, If you want used you'd probably have better luck on ebay or craigslist

This is a little off subject. Have you guys ever heard of that "m18"? I just discovered it on YouTube. It would be a fun build. Heres a link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLnenqoOaXY

H
Feb 17, 2014
washington
Thanks for the links...and the m18 is sick the sound of it will haunt my dreams.
So all i have to do is find a shock with the ctc that i want and i am good?? What size do i want? I think stock is 15.8?? and i was thinking of going with 17....unless the extra .75 is worth the work. (trying to keep it going until the snow is gone) I guess i was trying to look them up by application and having no luck, thinking valving or rebound would have be right....

B
Nov 27, 2007
Rovaniemi, Finland
I used SD REV tank with mine. More pics of progress can be found from:
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3347294#post3347294

I'm thinking of narrowing the front end by moving the current long A-arms (ZR -02) towards center of the sled. This requires front end modification/welding so this is just an idea :) 5-7 cm per side would be nice.

The chassis is about the same as KC, but I prefer retro hood :) I do have KC hood as well M hood waiting in carage.

main.php

Last edited:
M
Dec 7, 2009
Northern Mn
When I built my 2001 sno pro/900 efi I was able to move the bottom of the steering post over 1/2-3/4" to clear the throttle bodies, I also moved the top over 1/4-3/8. It is hardly noticable at the bars, the steering post is pushed probably 2-2.5" into the hood now.

507 you also have a pm

507Sledz

Jan 27, 2014
RE:

Ok i'll check that PM when I get back to MN, Currently out in the black hills (Wifi is a little slow)

Ran into a pretty big problem out here. I don't know when I will be doing my front suspension. My king cat completely locked up on me. I know my sled would be running warm today. The Temp outside was about 35 to 40 degree. I kept my scratchers down, dove in and out of the powder, cruised down the trail a bit to get some fresh air flowing threw my hood. On time we stopped for awhile so I opened my hood and put some snow on my cylinders and exhaust to help cool it down so it just didn't keep heating up. (Is putting snow on your cylinders/ exhaust a bad idea?) Anyway one of my buddies got stuck down in a valley so I started her up and drove down to help. When I got down there I shut it down right away. Got him unstuck, I pulled my sled over 2 times, but it didn't start because I forgot to pull my kill switch up. So I pulled my kill switch up went to pull it over again, and it was stuck solid. I couldn't pull my rope back to save my life. What I did -

1. Pulled my belt off and tried to spin my primary forward and backward and it was also locked up.
2. I had my buddy try to pull the rope while I spin the primary and it was still stuck solid.
3. I pulled my spark plugs and one was perfect bronze color. and the other was a sliver color meaning it was running a little lean.

So I'm not sure what to think I have never had something like this happen to me. Any ideas suggestion lemme know! I'll most likely start a new forum for this subject and post pictures of the motor when I dig into it. :face-icon-small-sho

Thanks!

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2020
front suspension mods

If you want fox floats the longest you can go without modifying the a arms is 17" ctc.

You can use the walker evans air shocks which are 17.5" ctc and they fit just fine because they have a smaller diameter than the fox floats.

I have ran both of these on my 1M.

You can put longer fox floats on if you make a new front piece on your upper a arm. The longest you can go there is 17.75" before they start to hit pieces on your spindle. My brother has this option and it is the best in my opinion.

All of these options raise your front end significantly.

I wouldn't worry about getting a narrower set of a arms because when you use longer shocks it narrows the stance automatically while the shocks aren't compressed. If this doesn't make sense let me know and I can explain more.

I am going to be selling some 17" ctc fox float 2's that are currently on my sled because I am going to 17.75" ones. I could probably find you some walker evans air shocks if you want also. There are about 8 king cats/Mountain cats in my group and we all use one of these setups. They work amazingly well and help the sled handle so much better.

PM me if you want some info on how I setup the rear suspension to match the front end being lifted.
Alright guys heres my issue, I want to gain more clearance with my 2004 king cat 900 in the front and am having trouble please help.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Stock shocks are just under 16" so anything over 16" will help. A popular mod was 16.5" shocks like the trail sleds. Rev's/Pro's/M-series all use 17" shocks so there's an abundance there too. And the aforementioned 17.75" shocks that need modification to the upper control arms. Those are basically your choices for front end mods.

Premium Features