• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

A less expensive on-sled camera?

J

jbsleds

Feb 15, 2009
Idaho
It's great watching the videos people are making. But those cameras are pretty expensive.

I'm wondering if a person could use something like a Kodak Playsport to do the same thing. They are waterproof, threaded for a tripod and cost less than $120.

It looks like you'd need some kind of a mount that clamps to the handlebars or mounts to the sled in some way. Maybe just one of those flexible camera tripods and some duct tape! Or, something else . . .?

Anyone done anything like this? If so, how'd you do it? Pics of your mount would help.

Have fun! Ride safe!

W

wag13

Jun 22, 2008
Spearfish,SD
i would say yeah you could get like a FLIP video camera at walmart or that Kodak thing and google RAM MOUNTS (cause in my opinion they are the best) and just mount the camera onto the suction mount and you should be good to go.

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
jbsleds...go to liquid image company www.liquidimageco.com and check out the POV goggle camera system called "summit series" for snow. $250 for a 720HD that is built right into the very good quality goggle. Fully contained into the goggle with a 4 gb micro sd card and a USB port rechargable cell phone style battery system. I've gotten pretty close to 1.4-1.5 hours of straight video in extreme wet and cold environment testing. Super inexpensive way to have fun with an excellent quality 100% POINT OF VIEW camera plus.

In short order you will ruin a camera system that is not designed to take the extreme environment of wet cold and high impact like you will get on your sled. Save the time money and energy and look into this goggle. THEY ARE FLAT OUT FUN AND VERY COOL.
shd_b_1.jpg

I have a PRO PROGRAM going right now on this product for a testers discount. PM me for details if you are interested. Limited time and numbers of people needed to participate. We only have a few spaces left as we have several of these running around throughout the western us being tested daily on sleds.

A
Apr 19, 2012
I decided to delete my post to another sled web. You can find several inexpensive options on ebay. There was on in the past few days for $28! that an HCS user posted actual video from on Youtube. Not great quality but at $28 who cares. That same camera can regularly be had for around $100 and it has a remote to activate recording. Something the GoPro needs.

Last edited:
S

SUMMITREV

Oct 24, 2008
Baker, OR
Gopro has a remote option for it along with about an option you could want from night vision to lcd screen to flat lenses. Gopro costs more but after getting one they are worth every penny and the only way to go

A
Apr 19, 2012
Gopro has a remote option for it along with about an option you could want from night vision to lcd screen to flat lenses. Gopro costs more but after getting one they are worth every penny and the only way to go

Not yet they don't. But looks like they will before I ride my sled again (on snow). Thanks for the heads up. It will give it Wifi too. cool.

Agreed GoPro makes great video and those cheapos don't compare but they are cheap.

K
Feb 3, 2014
some choices.

I currently have a GoPro Hero3 silver. They retail for around $299, but I got mine online for $230, a little over your budget but I have 0 complaints about it except you will need to buy a micro as card.

GoPro also makes the white edition, retails for $199 it's just got less features, but a GoPro is a GoPro. You could easily find it for $180. (They come with 2 helmet mounts)

Sony makes an action cam called the Sony as10, you could find it for around $125 online. I don't have one but I've heard it's like the gopro white without WiFi built in. Also comes with mounts.

Emerson makes the Emerson Action cam for around $45. Price comes with a cost though, as its less durable, less battery, and less video features. If it breaks you only lose $45. You will also have to do some jockeying with the mounts to make them fit.

Thanks for reading this, do some reading elsewhere to find more info. All for these come with a water proof case.

Premium Features