• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Maps for gps

MillermanSD

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2009
Aberdeen SD
Garmin

I recently purchased the Rhino 530 HCX and went online and got the Garmin 24 K north central CD. I am very pleased with how it all worked out. Downloaded the SD, MT, WY and CO areas onto the sd card and also exported major features such as passes (Cooke City - Daisy, Lulu) onto the card as well. Didn't look at the Rhino all that much, but found that simply bringing my daily track information into google earth was the coolest "freebie" feature of the whole experience. Even found a few areas I need to check out next time I go out simply because you can't see 300' in front of you in the trees, but I can see on Google earth how close I was to that next "meadow" that not too many people know about.

giddyup

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
deer valley sask.
google earth

i dont know of any maps that are as good as garmin has that are free, i also have the 530 now, what program do you use to get you maps to google, i could with my 6ocsx but now i have the 530 and i use a MAC computer, that might be the ketch.

giddyup

Free downloads

I found a free topo for my garmin of all of north america. I have used it and in some cases it has more detail than "topo canada" from garmin. PM me if you are interested and i will try to find where it came from. I think the name is Icabus or Ibycus try searching google for free maps using this.

MillermanSD

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2009
Aberdeen SD
Make sure you are updated to the latest version, I have a mac but can't imagine there is a difference. I am talking about Google "earth" this may be where the confusion lies!!! Sorry.

wyofreeride

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Pinedale, Wy
www.WyoFreeride.com
http://www.miscjunk.org/mj/mp_main.html I just put the Colorado set on a Garmin Oregon 300. Works great.

I second that. Similar resolution to the Garmin 24K maps, but smaller in file size if you have an older GPS, and they are free.. I have the 100k, 24k, free ones, and several others, and these are the easiest to use with a garmin (uses mapsource software)

Premium Features