• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BCA BC Link Radios

sledr4life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Sounds like those with problems should contact BCA.

Our whole group has them and they work great. Best thing we did as a group.

In regard to the channel changing, I thought there was a lock feature once you have your channel set? Will have to verify when I get them out again.

Never had any problems with channels changing.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Sounds like those with problems should contact BCA.

Our whole group has them and they work great. Best thing we did as a group.

In regard to the channel changing, I thought there was a lock feature once you have your channel set? Will have to verify when I get them out again.

Never had any problems with channels changing.

I think the jaw line or the chin of my helmet rubs the channel dial on the mic and turns it over a letter or two.
The lock feature is on the base unit. When that is activated, the buttons on the base unit are locked, but that doesn't have any affect on the mic controls.

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
Several seasons now on mine

I’m not sure when these first came out, but purchased mine then. No issues other than the first ride and the channels kept changing due to helmet rubbing. Very simple and easy fix for that.

Carefully pry the dial button off, I used a piece of 1/32” silicone sheet, cut out a washer the size of the dial, install that under the dial. Press the dial button back on all the way. The silicone washer creates enough friction to keep the dial from changing channels. But you can still rotate it by hand if you need to, now it just takes a bit of effort.

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
I have done the same using an oring that fits the shaft snug.
Also have heard of guys setting all of the mic channels to the same channel.
Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
S
Feb 24, 2016
WA
Poor Performance

I like the physical design of the BCA unit and I really want it to work for me but I have to agree with the poor experience of some the folks here.

I feel bad because I talked a guy in our group into buying one. We had great comm's.... for one ride... within 1/4 mile line of site of each other. On our second ride together it was some seriously bad wind and poor visibility. We were both in the same sheltered draw and could not communicate yet we were less than 1/2 mile apart. It was getting close to dark and we NEEDED to be able to communicate our plan. Neither of our radios would transmit (even when we finally got within 20 ft of each other). His would make three beeps when the talk button was pressed.

I have yet to find any documentation of what those three beeps mean. I assumed it meant low battery but the battery should have been fine as we didn't use the radios at all earlier in the day. Now I think it means the mic is pressed but it's not picking up sound because mine did it this weekend when I know the batter was charged.

This radio has really let me down. Ever since that one ride I have carried a cheap Motorola Talkabout as a backup. Turns out I HAVE to use it because the BCA won't transmit reliably. It will receive though. Oh, and I do have the FrogSkinz cover on the mic.

I would expect a product intended for the backcountry made by a company such as BCA would be able to tolerate the cold, wet, snowy conditions we experience in the backcountry.

I'm going to try contact BCA to see if maybe they had a bad batch of remote microphones or something. Maybe they'll replace the ones in my group.

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
I am a big BCA fan but these new radios have not been reliable for us. Never had an issue with the our 1.0.

Sending one of mine in this week for the second time. First one didn’t work out of the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features