• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cooke City

M

minet

Nov 26, 2007
i went once this last year with an expereinced guide. was a blast and as far as the riding in the area its pretty extreme. we were there over the holidays and come dec 30th the place was getting pretty thick with riders. its really out there man, pretty isolated but awsome still

RYDPWDR

Premium Member
Aug 15, 2002
Billings,MT
redlodge? have you done that ride yet? even locals say dont try that one!!!:eek::eek:

I have done it many times, get's a little hairy in places....
Looking down...
HPIM0711a.jpg

Looking up to next switchback...
HPIM0705a.jpg

A nice flatspot and time for a break....
HPIM0705a.jpg

Looking across the valley from close to the top..old dirt pass you can see
HPIM0713a.jpg

B
Apr 3, 2008
Billings Mt.
WHO DOES GUIDE SRV IN COOKE?

redlodge? have you done that ride yet? even locals say dont try that one!!!:eek::eek:

here is two vids we made last year in Cooke!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSU7DmZ1bVU

and our second trip in march!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMN1RFUib4Q

:D:D:D:D:D:beer;
Thats good to here. Yea don't try that one. Been over it many times and love it. Can be really extreme but damn few people. Pack your lunch and have a good sled. I mean one you can trust. No experimental stuff. Damn awesome places to go. The locals that told you that are probally new out of state locals. Been going it for approx. 25 years.

Z

ZRman31

Sep 8, 2008
Negaunee, Mi
we are planing on riding in form redlodge... with all of our gear in otter sled. I have no idea what to expect, as i've never been to cooke. Is it a bad idea? The guys i'm going with have done it before and says its not bad, but i dunno. Don't wanna lose my gear down them cliffs!!!!!

B
Apr 3, 2008
Billings Mt.
we are planing on riding in form redlodge... with all of our gear in otter sled. I have no idea what to expect, as i've never been to cooke. Is it a bad idea? The guys i'm going with have done it before and says its not bad, but i dunno. Don't wanna lose my gear down them cliffs!!!!!

If you have never been over the (rock pile) Beartooth pass on a sled, don't go. Go around through the park to Cooke city. Believe me, Its nice but you could get screwed up. Their is an emergency phone on top that goes directly to the sheriff's office. Go around!

RYDPWDR

Premium Member
Aug 15, 2002
Billings,MT
I'd have to agree, it's really not worth the small amount of miles you will save driving. It's a long way on a sled to go up and over the top all the way into cooke city. Problem with the top is if the weather is bad it can be very disorienting, there are really no trees etc up top and the wind can howl. You get lost up there and you're in trouble. Don't let anybody tell you the ride up is that hard, it can drift over in places on deep snow years but other than that it's more about the weather up top, if it's bad you can get in trouble.

RYDPWDR

Premium Member
Aug 15, 2002
Billings,MT
Good call, no need risking it...couple of more pics for you.

Beartooth pass being plowed out...deep
25-beartooth_g_2.jpg

Picture taken on June 1st....
Beartoothsnow.jpg

A good flat spot on hwy to take a break....
HPIM0712a.jpg

G

ggcustoms

Dec 4, 2007
NW Wisconsin
Ive only ridden in once from the parking lot, but I thought it was pretty cool that you had to ride in with all of your bags and stuff on your sled. Nostalgic I guess. But now we drive through the park (the old guys like it better, ha ha) Leaving tuesday morning for Cooke, c ya out there whoever's going. Drive safe.

Z

ZRman31

Sep 8, 2008
Negaunee, Mi
i leave in a few hours to make the longer journery to cooke. Hopefully the weathers is good the whole way. I am bringing my laptop so i will check in and report.

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
Not sure why a certain person was giving out rep for no good reason, but if you don't knock it off, you'll find yourself without any rep to be handing out negatives OR positives......as well as on a timeout.

I DO know who are you are! I'm debating whether or not you will be *outed*. I see nothing in that thread that warrants this type of thing.

B
Apr 3, 2008
Billings Mt.
Going to be very brief. Hr980 is a bill in the house. If this passes you can forget riding in cooke city or the beartooth highway. People of wisc. you need to call your Reps and your senators. Tell them vote against this. If you enjoy the sport, Call them.

Premium Features