• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2000 RMK 700 piston seizing

sledcaddie

Premium Member
Feb 11, 2008
Lincoln, NE
I've had this 2000 RMK 700 since new and never had a problem until now. It seized a piston on clutch side in December. Dealer said it was water in the gas which leaned out cyclinder. Drained tank. New gas, cylinder, and piston and only 60 miles later, it does it again. Anyone with similar experience? One guy suggested crank seal is sucking air in and that is why it's the clutch side that burns. Another said it could be the oil pump not having enough pressure to get oil to the far side. Any other suggestions or thoughts?

P
Nov 28, 2007
My oil pump actually fell off last year. Mag side carb boot oil line was the shortest one so Mag piston seized. New used cyl and piston, re-attached the oil pump and everything was fine. I'd suggest checking the oil lines, carb boots(for cracks), PTO crank seal, base gasket and O-rings

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
First place I would look would be the carb boots for a crack. The clamps that hold the carbs on those have sharp edges and can cut through a boot in time.

H
Nov 26, 2007
Lake Cle Elum
60 miles how much oil did you use. That is the best way to tell if the pump is working. Also post a pic of the piston that siezed so we can all argue about what caused it :)

P
Mar 12, 2008
sunnyvale trailer park
I would rule out the obvious crap like cracked carb boots and oil lines then make sure your crank isn't twisted. just turn the motor over slowly when you take the head off to change your piston and make sure when one piston is tdc the other has to be exactly bdc. If that checks out then I would bet you have a bad crank seal. If the engine runs try spraying something like isopropyl(gas line antifreeze) at the seal with a spray bottle. If your revs pick up you have a bad seal. I doubt it's your oil pump, they tend to use more oil when they wear out, it's a bit of a safety measure and an early warning that you need a new pump

sledcaddie

Premium Member
Feb 11, 2008
Lincoln, NE
seized RMK

Thanks for all your input. I'll check it out. The first piston was burned down the front side, melted ring to piston, and scored the cylinder wall. Sorry, I didn't take a photo.

Premium Features