• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Experienced Axys Silber Owners - Questions??

R

rugbynitro

Nov 4, 2009
Kamloops, B.C.
I will post this in the turbo section as well.

I'm just putting a deal together on a holdover 2016 163 ES with the 2.6" track after happily riding a 2015 163 RMK LE ES for almost 3 full seasons with 3900 kilometers.
:face-icon-small-hap

After riding a friends 2012 Pro 155 with a Silber turbo, I'm fairly convinced there is a real fun factor and more confidence to be gained with a turbo sled. (My friend just bought this unit used, no problems or hiccups yet after 3 rides)

If I wasn't going the turbo route I would likely just snowcheck a 3" track and leave it at that, but at this low price and the opportunity to have it installed by the dealer the overall price would be slightly less than a snowcheck. I don't pull any big chutes but I do put a lot of miles on and really like the technical tree riding and climbing aspects of sledding. I play at the 4500-6500 ft elevation band.

For those of you with the Axys Silber's, could you be kind enough to give me your feelings both pro's and con's? Are you going through a lot of clutch belts or quick drive belts? Is it really a trouble free system once you dial the clutching in? Would you do it again?

Thanks in advance, Al :juggle:

Last edited by a moderator:
R

rugbynitro

Nov 4, 2009
Kamloops, B.C.
Axys Silber Owners - Questions???

I posted this in the Axys section as well.

I'm just putting a deal together on a holdover 2016 163 ES with the 2.6" track after happily riding a 2015 163 RMK LE ES for almost 3 full seasons with 3900 kilometers.
:face-icon-small-hap

After riding a friends 2012 Pro 155 with a Silber turbo, I'm fairly convinced there is a real fun factor and more confidence to be gained with a turbo sled. (My friend just bought this unit used, no problems or hiccups yet after 3 rides)

If I wasn't going the turbo route I would likely just snowcheck a 3" track and leave it at that, but at this low price and the opportunity to have it installed by the dealer the overall price would be slightly less than a snowcheck. I don't pull any big chutes but I do put a lot of miles on and really like the technical tree riding and climbing aspects of sledding. I play at the 4500-6500 ft elevation band.

For those of you with the Axys Silber's, could you be kind enough to give me your feelings both pro's and con's? Are you going through a lot of clutch belts or quick drive belts? Is it really a trouble free system once you dial the clutching in? Would you do it again?

Thanks in advance, Al :juggle:

xpspenziv

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2009
hanging out in a tree well at the top.
Ive had 0 issues after getting clutching straightened out. The clutch set up that comes with kit doesn't work for low elevation to my liking. It may for others. Plugs look great all the time so no lean or rich run ability issues. ECU reflash of fuel map seams to be correct. No issues as far as belts, belt drive or electrical gremlins. Im running 7# with 100% av with no detonation. Run great 3-6000ft. 300 plus miles on drive belt and tki belt drive. Be generous with dielectric grease on all connections inside the plug and outside where the wires go into plugs. I would assume its cost is why they don't use weather pack connectors for all connections. Especially under hood. Use extra bags to cover all plugs.

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
I've got 500 miles on mine and love it. I've ran 3# and 5# of boost and am riding at sealevel to 3000' at all times. One clutch belt at 500 miles and there are many clutch setups I've ran and worked for me. Some better than others and I'm trying yet another setup just to see this next weekend. Smoked my rails yesterday so waiting on some iceage bomber replacements. Still on the original quick drive belt.

M

MOABNUT

Dec 4, 2012
We are installing a Silber Turbo next week. Can,t wait. Got a Great deal on a Demo unit. We rode one for a full day two weeks ago on 5lbs of boost and are hooked. We ride 8 to 10k. We are planning to clean the clutches more often.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
#1 that you will find is the install- straight forward / simple

I would since your tore down, is run a check on your TPS- to keep that in check
Belt issues are not a concern. I would (as I suggest to clients)a boost gauge so you know 100% where you are at.
I have sold numerous kits and finding out that the TRS suggestions for clutching will award you with cool clutching and LONG legs.
Run a splash and measure your 100llc to your pump gas when on 7#

Enjoy the rush- very well worth the return on your investment,,!, ,

ProRMK24

Lifetime Membership
Feb 6, 2014
Iowa
Have installed 10 or more on axys this year and last. have not had a single issue. To get the best performance the tps needs to be adjusted. Get ahold of boston racing they will give you the exact numbers you will need. Been riding at 8-10k and have been absolutely flawless at 7lbs.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Cant remember how many we have installed this season (it's a bunch)-
I may have replied to your inquiry in the turbo section also.. but-- here ya go....

Belts are not seen to be an issue. ( but the gates C belt is better than the stock 183)
The standard clutching you get with the Silber kit, does get you on the snow- but there is more to be had.
Currently running 3 different set-up's in clutching and each one keeps getting better..I will be doing a full write up in the turbo section from TRS clutching in a few day's.. start to finish Silber to my own to TRS Total of 5 clutching combinations.

As stated above.. The TPS is an issue and there are no magic numbers!!!
You have to try to see what works BEST for your sled
( and this is not turbo related either) but the turbo magnifies the issue.
I have set my personal sled 3 times and have it now where it is happy.
Gap you plugs to a tight .020/ you will see /feel a difference.

We have not received a negatitive response from the 2016 Axy's installs and all would do it again.... but with the new "Quiet Can" that is being tested for sure, so I would for sure ask about that option..

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
I have put one on three sleds now - honestly, the hardest part of owning one is trying to go back to an NA sled (you can't).

I am not the best rider. I am also not the craziest risk taker. I want a sled that is going to work, plain and simple. And if I can get more horse out of it, awesome, but reliability is huge to me.

So, with that in mind, my suggestion is to keep your boost in check, run good fuel and dial in your clutching.

At your elevation, you'd be amazed what 4psi (3 pound spring) will feel like. An extra 40 HP is awesome, and in my experience easy on belts, easy to clutch for and great for reliability.

Once you start to push boost, everything else can suffer and you will be wrenching more.

This is my $0.02 from a guy who wants to ride his sled more than wrench on er!

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
I second all of that ^^ I've been running the 3# spring for a couple weekends to give feedback and see for myself and boy has it been fun. And not to toot the turbo horn too much, but the amount of people wrenching on their N/A sleds while out riding is 100% more than I've had to on mine.
But I cheat and wrench in the garage :p

cdebodt44

Lifetime Membership
Apr 3, 2016
Shocks

Are any of you guys running the silber kit with the stock WE clicker shocks? I want to install this kit on my 17' but am wondering if I should invest in new shocks first.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Are any of you guys running the silber kit with the stock WE clicker shocks? I want to install this kit on my 17' but am wondering if I should invest in new shocks first.

*Tons* of riders are on stock WE shocks (even non clicker) turbo kits. (Silber, Sidekick etc). Having a shop revalve the rear track shock is all you need.

Obviously a full set of (insert your preferred brand here) is nice, as is an aftermarket skid. But non are needed.

Last edited:

xpspenziv

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2009
hanging out in a tree well at the top.

Yup running them on my 174-3". Working well and it's not a wheelie machine. I got mine set up to wear as going down the trail if you lean to one side or the other it will pick a ski. Leans a little on the roads but is super nice in the tree's. I gotta hit a whoop pretty good to bottom out. Soften the front skid and keep the rear a little stiff. Not to much so it doesn't transfer.

R

rugbynitro

Nov 4, 2009
Kamloops, B.C.
If it was as great as you say, why didn't you keep it? I would.

Do you build turbo sleds and then sell them as a business?

Silber has a quiet option for muffler. Honestly my 2.6 163 was a blast best deep snow sled I've ever owned. Would go any where I wanted to.

Premium Features