• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thoughts on 08 KTM XCF 450 w/2014 ST

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
Just seeing if anyone has run an xcf 450 and if so how it worked? Any issues with this bike to be aware of? Looking at one with a 14 ts st kit. Looks to be in decent condition but hours are unknown. Piston and rings have been replaced for preventative and supposedly was well maintained. What would you pay for this set up?

Thanks

M
Jan 14, 2004
I'm not sure what engine is in that bike, whether it is an XC4/RC4 based or an RF4. In 08 the XC4 had a separate trans and engine oil and the seal between the two was known to leak and transfer fluid. The best repair is to have a single sump conversion done. Also in 08 and I think 09 the rockers didn't oil very well. There is an updated rocker shaft available starting in 10. KTM changed the oil pump gears in 10 as well. Pretty sure the XCF was only a 5 speed with the mid ratios so not race and not wide. You will have to do some research as to what motor is in there but 08 wasn't a banner year for KTM as they came out with all new everything moving on from the old RFS of 07. The 08 is fully updateable and can be made to be a great motor but it can cost a lot. Just some stuff to check out. Check out KTMtalk.

M5

Z
Mar 2, 2014
Currently I'm running a 2009 450XC-F with a fully updated 2011 ST. Both purchased used with low hours. (12 hours on the XCF and just a couple rides on the ST kit, purchased sepratley) The lack of a back up kickstarter on the XC-F concernes me a little so I carry a spare Li-ion battery and jumper cables in the tool kit. I may get a bigger stator at some point so I could run better lights, grip heaters, radiator fans etc. but I make due with a 6 LED lightbar, warm gloves and a temp gauge so not a big deal so far. I added a Rekluse Core 3.0 before I got the TS kit and while I do like it I find I need to watch the coolant temps and make sure I'm keeping the right gear selected to avoid slipping the clutch much. Mostly I see 150-180F coolant temps but if I ride slow picking my way through tight trees for long I easily go over 200F pretty quick. (getting better at keeping the ground speed up which helps alot) With all the upgrades included I only have ~$10K into the whole set up. No regrets, it's a damn fun ride!

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
I'm pretty sure it's RF4. I believe it's basically an sxf with 5 speed mid ratio? Transmission. I've been reading on ktmtalk and it seems this is a fairly well like engine but not a ton of info. It sounds like a manual cam chain tensioner can increase oil pressure and help that a bit. Also sounded like rockers are ok so long as not over torqued.

Good to hear someone liking the xcf as a snow bike. Do you find the gearing to be acceptable? It seems most people are fighting to keep bikes warm enough not cool enough so that's interesting on temps... It he reason I'm considering it is due to a good price just to try it out. If I like it I hear these chassis are easy to swap a cr500 into :)

Z
Mar 2, 2014
The gearing is fine imo, It's got a 5 speed but usually in 2nd-4th gets used. 1st for slow starts or crawling along and 5th for real open terrain or access roads. Only a couple times have I wanted a taller 5th on a lake with no tracks anywhere and 2' of cold dry snow in the sun. Bike works great with a Timbersled ST, no regrets.

Premium Features