• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

500 EFI won't start, fuel pump runs continiously

S
Nov 30, 2007
Fairbanks, AK
This is a '92, first start up of the year, it's my trail sled, put new battery in, fuel pump comes on with the first pull as it's supposed to but then it won't shut off. Engine won't start. Possibilities: bad fuel pump, bad ECU, vacuum leak in fuel line not allow the pump to prime, clogged fuel filter not allowing fuel pump to prime. Any other ideas? Also if it is a fuel pump where might I get one, everywhere I've looked says the part is no longer available.

REKXP

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2009
North Idaho
I am not a Polaris guy by no means but I used to a 95 500 EFI. I can't remember for sure what caused this issue on mine but it did the same thing. I am almost certain that it wasn't the fuel pump. I have been trying to remember for an hour or so but I think it was the rectifier that is located behind the muffler on the bulkhead brace. There is at least one fuel filter on the sled. It is inline from the tank to the pump located about center of the steering post (from the stem to the mount on bulkhead). I screwed up the ecu on mine so I pulled everything off and put carbs on. If you need parts, I would be will to let go of them. The plug from the stator is different from the 92 to 95 but everything else had the same plug (I have a 92 motor that is toast as well). I don't know if you can test the voltage regulator/rectifier or not.

Good luck

S
Nov 30, 2007
Fairbanks, AK
Thanks for the reply. I got the sled running today, it's actually my buddy's. We put in a new battery, a new on/off toggle switch that isolates the battery, and the fuel pump acted like it was supposed to and the engine runs. I was thinking it was the relay you mentioned but it must have been the battery. All is good for now!

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
Check the fuel pick up line in the tank I had one with a crack in the line and when the fuel got below the bad line the pump would run and not shut off.

Premium Features