• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gen II fan cooled motors

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
What's wrong with the 550? That's a pretty good motor. I would think you could swap a 488 in pretty easy because the Gen II chassis is the same other than plastic as the Wedge.

sled_guy

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
I know there was a couple of years where the 550 seemed to have issues, but otherwise they have been pretty good motors.

Switching out is going to require a complete donor sled I would think as you'll need the pipe and electics as well as the motor.

sled_guy

S
Sep 14, 2010
NW IOWA
ok well im thinking if im going to do anything ill stick with the 550, Any advice on fixing the sled or parting it out?

what is one worth running and are they hard to sell?

F
Dec 10, 2007
Yellowknife, NWT
First what blew? I know they still use cast cylinders on the fans so it can be bored out and just over bore pistons is needed, few hundred bucks. I would change the fan belt if it uses one? I can't remember but i have done tons of 488 and personally i think its a far better motor you just can't kill them and parts are dirt cheap just don't mod the motor of any kind they just don't last lol Been there and not going back. I would fix it its worth less but its a real pain to part a complete sled out unless you have done it a bunch and have lots going on. The sled still is a good runner if you know what the problem is with it? Normally the top end goes but if the bottom went i would go with a 488 as you can get a complete one for a third of the cost of a 550 crank.

Premium Features