• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

509 users how do you wear em? What's your preference?

P

polaris6

Jan 4, 2004
Just got my 509 helmet and sinisters and love the quality and looks. It came with a breath deflector and I can't get the goggles to fit with the breath box and nose piece very easily. The nose piece fits well without the breath box. What are your opinions on how to wear them? Nose piece and no breath box or breath box and no nosepiece?

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
I use the breath box and removed the nose piece. If I lived in a warmer climate, I'd probably do the opposite. Carry both pieces and adjust as necessary would be my recommendation.

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
My preference is no breath box...nose piece on.

Dress in layers so your never hot and sweating while riding...that is more important than anything when it comes to fog free goggles. IMO

P

polaris6

Jan 4, 2004
Morsno do you have the breathbox against your face or against the front of the helmet? There are 2 locations you can snap it into

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
I tried a breath box and didn't like it. My nose gets cold if I don't use a deflector. I never have a problem with my face and mouth getting cold.

I got a pair of the Sinisters and the aviators and a set of their Icon GLasses to try out this year.

I absolutely love the Aviators I din't think it would be that big of a difference on how much you can see but there really is once you put em on and then switch back to another goggle or even the sinisters.

As for the glasses I guess I haven't known what good, nice sunglasses were before. I've always bought cheapies because I usually break em anyway. These 509 Optics are amazing.

Finnlandr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 21, 2009
Parts Unknown
I ran the Aviators (love em) with their helmet last season.....both breath box and nose piece....never had fogging issues......they fit well together except its a PITA to take your goggles off.....so I just left the goggles on all the time and took the whole helmet off when needed.

E

EagleRiverDee

Dec 15, 2009
Eagle River, Alaska
I ride with a No-Fog mask, so I always take the nose piece off the goggles. It's the first thing I do when I take them out of the box. The next thing I do is change out the strap to Quick Straps.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
I hate a breath box and nose guard. I don't even wear a baclava (isn't that a Greek Cookie?). I put a few more things on in the negatives but for the most part I wear helmet and goggles. Breathable shirt, and Klim jacket. Long underwear and non-insulated pants. I only get cold if I sit in one spot. Throw extra clothes on if sitting for a while.

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
Morsno do you have the breathbox against your face or against the front of the helmet? There are 2 locations you can snap it into

Tight on my face to keep any breath from going up into the goggles. It isn't always about sweating like the guys who ride in Colorado where it is warm, we very rarely get to ride above 10 degrees so if our breath rises it freezes on the inside and outside of the lenses. If we didn't ride in -10's and -20's we wouldn't have much of a season.

D
Mar 31, 2011
quick straps for sure, I noticed before I wore quick straps I wouldn't take the goggles off as often as it was a pia. quickstraps and they come off and hang there anytime I stop. no fog

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I used to use quick straps for a loooooong time.
I loved them and promoted them to people who didn't know about them.

I quit about 5 years ago when I got a new helmet. I just never set it up that way. I thought I'd miss them....turns out that I never really did.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
quick straps for sure, I noticed before I wore quick straps I wouldn't take the goggles off as often as it was a pia. quickstraps and they come off and hang there anytime I stop. no fog

The problem with quick straps is you expose the inner goggle face to the elements. Cold air, snow, water, etc can all enter the goggle. If you keep them on your face there is no chance exterior stuff will get on the inside of the goggle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
I mostly rode with mine on my helmet facing backwards because they would fog up all the time.:face-icon-small-sad I agree with TuDizzles comment as well, I am a big proponent of layering. Haven't found the perfect set up yet, going to try out two new brands this year. I will say this, they sure do look cool.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
509 sinisters and Klim 4f. The built in klim breath deflector seals tight too your face. I had to trim the nose deflector on the sinisters but when the goggles are "tucked" into place everything seals up awesome! No balclava at all, Just wear a fleece collar around my neck and up to me chin when its below zero.

goggles never fog up even when breathing hard digging out sleds. No need to even take helmet off.

When I do take my helmet off I leave the googles in place. Works great, they stay dry and fog free all day. Eric

P

polaris6

Jan 4, 2004
Tried all different ways and ended up with taking out the breath box and nose piece and use my fog evader. Super comfortable

Premium Features