• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lost my SPOT due to carabeaner strap breaking off case.

D
Jul 28, 2010
Crosby, ND
Just want to warn people about the little strap on the case. I had mine hooked to my coat and when I stopped I noticed it was gone. So just letting you know dont trust the carabeaner strap on the case.:humble:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
That bites man.
Maybe we should open up the discussion on how BEST to carry/Secure these as i suspect now a whole lot more of us will be using them.

Yamadoo04

Premium Member
Oct 4, 2005
Herriman, Utah
www.youtube.com
I keep mine in the outer most pocket of my back pack and it sends out the signal just fine. Turn it on to tracking and just let it go. Never have to worry about it all day. Just make sure to face the logo toward the outside of the pack.

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
That sucks...can you just push the button on it to find it?

just find it first...so you can push the button

:face-icon-small-con

Top of pack works fine if positioned with the label facing up.

Kept it all last year attached to the front of my handle bar riser with a heavy duty zip tie

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Question to you guys, as I do not have a SPOT yet.

Just how much "coverage" over the unit can you have before it begins to interfere with it's signal.

I was under the impression that it required an unobstructed clear line of sight to the sky??

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
Question to you guys, as I do not have a SPOT yet.

Just how much "coverage" over the unit can you have before it begins to interfere with it's signal.

I was under the impression that it required an unobstructed clear line of sight to the sky??

It has very specific instructions on how to properly send a signal...instructions some never bother to read...then like to blame the device for not working properly.

I have had no problems with it in the top of my pack in the small pocket, although they do recommend a clear line of sight.

Yamadoo04

Premium Member
Oct 4, 2005
Herriman, Utah
www.youtube.com
Honestly mine is not facing the southern sky all that well and it works pretty good for me. It is supposed to send out a signal every 10 minutes and mine does very well. Yes it does miss a few here and there but on saturday i started at 9:18 and the last one was at 4:18 so thats 7 hours. at 1 track every 10 minutes that should be 42 spots. I ended up with 37 spots. So it missed 5 spots durring the day. Now it depends on where you are at on the mountain. We do a lot of tree riding on northern slopes so i can understand how it would miss a few with the dense tree riding. The spot devise instructions say it needs line of sight to the souther sky which mine is not always pointed that way but it does very well for pointing basically horizontal to the ground off my back. Mine is in the outer most pocket and so there is only 1 thin piece of material blocking the signal but it makes it though that just fine.

Yamadoo04

Premium Member
Oct 4, 2005
Herriman, Utah
www.youtube.com
FYI I just went through all my spots and everytime it missed a spot it was because we were in dense thick trees or i was traveling south with my back facing the north for long periods of time in the trees. It never missed a spot in any other time period.

FYI I just went through all my spots and everytime it missed a spot it was because we were in dense thick trees or i was traveling south with my back facing the north for long periods of time in the trees. It never missed a spot in any other time period.

That's good to know, I don't have a spot yet but soon depending on finances.

On another note could you velcro it to your helmet???:face-icon-small-ton

Premium Features