• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

69 pitch chain WTF

T

trestlecreek

Sep 19, 2010
So I bought fit kits for a honda and ktm, they both are having 2016 timbersled kits going on. The problem is the 70 pitch chain is WAY to long, adjuster is rubbing down into the track... So I cut one chain down to a 68 pitch, and it is WAY to tight! So I call a buddy with a 2016 kit, and he sends me a fitment chart that show both kits take a 69 pitch chain...????.... Polaris sends the 70 pitch with the fit kits...... Where do I find a 520 69 pitch chain???

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Is this the first time running
.. that chain will stretch quite a bit first time out...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Fricken (Nearly) Engineers!

They do make half links for chain, they are just uncommon and a bad practice from an engineering stand point to design a machine that needs to use an odd link count as "Recommended / Required". The half links are usually reserved for those too cheap to buy a new chain and want to use the stretched one (shortened and half link added) until it wipes out the sprockets and everything else associated with it.

It's even Dumber for them to not send you what they claim is Required.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Real common with TS. Run the tight one. Disable auto tensioner at first if need be.

M
Jan 14, 2004
What gearing are you trying to run, not all combos work ie. 14/17. Chains are shipped for 13/17

M5

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
On the 2016 model you will have a 70 pin chain on the main drive and 54 in the case.

An odd number pin count would have to be a half link, which you should only use if there is no other option.

T

trestlecreek

Sep 19, 2010
I’m running the stick gears in the case, chart says to run a 13 tooth driver which is what I have... had to put in a 14 to suck up enough chain slack so it’s not wearing a groove into the track. But I’m afraid the 14 is too tall for my taste...

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
There is also a larger than normal chain buffer that we have that takes up some slack and you should be able to go back to a 13.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
We all have been there with the TS. If you have a adjustable strut rod you can shorten it a bit to gain back some chain length and once the chain wears a bit bring it back up , not ideal but does work in some situation where it is close.

If you drop the rear make sure to let the Forks down in the clamps to keep roughly the same geometry on the track kit as before. In essence the ski and track kit stay stationary and the bike is rotated backwards a bit. That also works for guys looking for a lower ride hight.

Cheers

J
May 24, 2017
Not ideal, but I've actually flipped my tension around and drilled new holes to mount the tensioner bolt on the opposite side (2017 LT LE w/TSS). So on the 2016-17 kits there is more track clearance back six inches from where the original tensioner goes. So with it here you can run a longer chain and not have it hit. The one bad thing is if it's too tight, you'll have to flip the tensioner back the regular way. Once again, not ideal but it works.

Also, from a mathematical perspective, the triangle that the chain path length makes is longer if you flip the tensioner around as I suggested. Which only helps.

A

Adobe-Al

Nov 9, 2008
Montrose,Co
I’m running the stick gears in the case, chart says to run a 13 tooth driver which is what I have... had to put in a 14 to suck up enough chain slack so it’s not wearing a groove into the track. But I’m afraid the 14 is too tall for my taste...

I found that 14 was the best fit, and bought a 16/17 for the drivers. Stock is 17/17

Premium Features