• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Detune rumor?

R
Feb 2, 2016
Just gettin excited and want no surprises! The gf already is hating me cause I told her she needs to get priorities straight. Yep in the dog house again! Come on snow!

C

Covelli44

Jan 2, 2011
North Aurora, IL
I am by no means a mechanic, and definitely do not work for Doo or have an "in," but I would put any ETEC at the bottom of the list to not meet emissions or EPA. They run so lean compared to other manufacturers I would not let this rumor fly. Unless your dealer tells you this.

Last edited:

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
Truth?

Rotax guys said PTek 800 expect 151 HP. ETec was designed for same HP, with better run quality. Rotax says Etec 800 ended up at 155 HP. For the 850: Rotax says expect 165 HP, with way better torque - due to the 4mm longer stroke. All this appears very accurate and repeatable. Dyno numbers are just one opinion, on one day, that may not repeat, just sayin'. :light:

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Rotax guys said PTek 800 expect 151 HP. ETec was designed for same HP, with better run quality. Rotax says Etec 800 ended up at 155 HP. For the 850: Rotax says expect 165 HP, with way better torque - due to the 4mm longer stroke. All this appears very accurate and repeatable. Dyno numbers are just one opinion, on one day, that may not repeat, just sayin'. :light:

A dyno measurement is not an opinion. It is a measurement. Like any good experiment, replicate measurements need to be performed to have any confidence in that measurement. A few dyno pulls during the same day, to get that day's average, then do that over a few different days. Take the average. That's how any respectable scientist would do it. If you're really going for accuracy, send the motor off to be run by another dyno technician, at a different facility.

So I sort of see what you're saying. You want to see replication, good idea. One measurement isn't opinion, it's just not a reliable measurement.

Either way, more stroke on this 850 will make it feel pretty good over the 800etec.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
Has anybody else heard the rumor that brp failed emissions so had to detune the new summit down?

It makes complete sense.....they run and test an engine for 2-3 years and don't give a hoot about emissions, then they send it out to get ridden as demos at the max hp they can make out of that engine. Then they get it back to the shop and think,"oh dam. We should probably think about emissions on this. Let's test it". Lmao.

Every time brp comes out with something new the poo boys are super quick to make rumors about them and the same goes when poo brings something new. The doo boys dish it on. It's all in good fun I'm sure.

Premium Features