• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

WE WEIGH THE 17S: SKI-DOO SUMMIT X 850 VS. POLARIS 800 PRO-RMK 174 LE

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
A guy has to ride pretty hard to run a etec out of gas. I have only done it a couple times

Funny you mention this. We had a 850 for an entire day last year. We were all on the hill so everyone was riding. The 850 was out of fuel at the end of the day. Thre Axys, two XM's, Three XP's and a Rev all made it out with more fuel. Lots of drag racing on hills and the flats. Maybe something will change once they come off the assembly line with EPA standards. But it was brave of Doo to drop 1.1 gallons from the 800 to the 850.

C
Feb 3, 2016
Alaska
There's no doubt that I can feel the burned fuel weight difference in my 14 XM at the end of the day. But it works out well, because towards the end of the day, I'm getting tired, and the 30-50 pound weight loss helps my tired body cope with the fatigue.... does that make me sound 'old'?
Turning 18 in November, im tired and sore the day after a good ride.. Just means you had an epic day, I guess..

I
Nov 26, 2007
Funny you mention this. We had a 850 for an entire day last year. We were all on the hill so everyone was riding. The 850 was out of fuel at the end of the day. Thre Axys, two XM's, Three XP's and a Rev all made it out with more fuel. Lots of drag racing on hills and the flats. Maybe something will change once they come off the assembly line with EPA standards. But it was brave of Doo to drop 1.1 gallons from the 800 to the 850.

I've seen this marketing gimmick before. When Yamaha released the nytro they put a 7 gallon tank on it and only wanted to compare wet weights. They claimed the four stroke was more fuel efficient so the smaller tank was fine. All nytro riders were forced to carry extra fuel.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
I've seen this marketing gimmick before. When Yamaha released the nytro they put a 7 gallon tank on it and only wanted to compare wet weights. They claimed the four stroke was more fuel efficient so the smaller tank was fine. All nytro riders were forced to carry extra fuel.

There's quite a difference between 9.5 gallons and 7 gallons. if the skidoo only had 7 gallons i'd be very concerned. The Xm could never fit more than 9.5 gallons anyway. I have a pro and an Xm and the Xm uses less fuel. Not much but after a season of riding both in various conditions I'm not to worried. If the G4 uses fuel similar to the Xm it will be fine. On the super deep days it dosen't matter which sled you ride you'll still be out of fuel in 4-5 hours anyway. And on days that aren't deep you'd have to ride 100 miles to run out........

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy

What do think will happen when one machine never stops and gets pounded hard all day. Of coarse it will come back on empty.
Everyone wants to try out the new iron, does not matter the brand, so that one always is empty.

I ran my 2012 pro out of fuel a few times ( the year I owned it), while guys on other stuff had lots of gas left.

Fuel mileage is all about how hard you run the throttle. In deep pow you'd be lucky to get better that 2-3 mpg on any brand running wide open.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
What do think will happen when one machine never stops and gets pounded hard all day. Of coarse it will come back on empty.
Everyone wants to try out the new iron, does not matter the brand, so that one always is empty.

I ran my 2012 pro out of fuel a few times ( the year I owned it), while guys on other stuff had lots of gas left.

Fuel mileage is all about how hard you run the throttle. In deep pow you'd be lucky to get better that 2-3 mpg on any brand running wide open.
In that case us Axys guys will get to ride an extra 4-6 miles worth of circles around the 850s on POW days. Gramma better bring her jerry can :face-icon-small-hap

C
Feb 3, 2016
Alaska
Doesnt bother me any.. I stash 5-10 gallons in spots where I usually ride, leave em up in a tree all season, if I use it I use it, if not just bring it back at the end of the season.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota

not to be a dick...

BUT do you think "everyone" rode the **** out of the new demo sled while the "old sleds" sat??

sigh

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho

Problem solved.
904154eaf748e7bbbd463d5ddc9a508b.jpg

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
FWIW those Doo gas cans are really nice! From how they fit the sled, the mounts, and even how they pour and fill.

Mine is mounted on my CMX Snowbike!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
By the end of the week we should start to see final production sleds arriving at dealerships, so the weight issue will be resolved very soon now!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I believe that it IS fair to post weights on sleds full of fuel..

The comparison is fair IF it can be shown that the Ski Doo or Polaris can travel the same distance under load with a full tank as the competitors.

IF the G4-Summit can actually travel as far on 20% less fuel then this is a legitimate comparison.

Would be nice to see two stockers side by side... deep snow riding in the open... travel for an hour side by side, with comparable weight riders, and track sizes (the 165/174 comparison... not so much) ... top them up and measure the difference of volume of fuel used.

That is what I'd like to see.

I know the Etec is efficient..AND... what is the real world result.

If one sled uses more fuel... that should be adjusted for in the weight calcs. for the spare can and fuel.

Hope to find out this season.

Last edited:
Premium Features