• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

You guys paying attention to this?

K

KingofSweden

Jan 1, 2011
Sweden
Apparently there are other suppliers that has noticed this rod-issue...

Hurricane is also awake on the matter...??

David Elaine Marshall wrote this on a facebook-page yesterday:
"we are not sending turbo kits out right now for the new 2016 viper engine until we settle on a solution to the rod problem"

So, don't shoot Mcx just because they highlighted it and came forward with the apparent issue first of all!

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
Why isn`t we hearing anything from MPI about this? Have they got their mouth tied up from Yamaha?

Why would MPI try to explain what MCX is doing????

"Hello,

The MPI Viper turbo is continuously durability tested by Yamaha, It is retested exactly for this reason, and almost every model year has changes. The “New” 2016 motor was in testing last year. Fortunately these changes which include Rods, Crank, Head, etc are new to the consumer this year, but were fully covered in durability testing last season (one of the advantages of the Factory Yamaha relationship). We have no opinion as to the new components at HP level above 240HP. We have ALWAYS maintained that it was/is not advisable to operate this motor in “stock form” above 240HP. Since the 1st generation of this motor in 2004/2005 season, we have advised modifications for HP levels above 240HP (after market rods, head studs, etc). Our stance on the 2016 Viper motor is that the 190HP Yamaha version as well as the Stage 1 upgrade is “Reliable” with a stock motor. Durability data backs this claim. We consider Stage 1 with pump kit and 4th injector kit to be 235HP (examples: 10PSI at Sea-level and 14PSI at 10,000ft).
"

K45

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2010
Maybe Mpi is not able to make enough power to damage the late model 16,s.:face-icon-small-sho

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
Agreed, one turbo builder who sent me a controller for a boosted Phazer that was too lean mid range (in January 2013) is saying this. When somebody that has built many late 2016 (MPI side by side builds) chimes in then I am interested.

Hurricane Turbos has also delayed shipping of their turbo kits until this is solved.

TurboT

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2008
W...Y...O
I don't even have to know how to read.......I have been there and done that.

What if your sled dies in the backcountry and you have to call Life Flight to get you out because your fingers are freezing and then you have to get another chopper to get the sled the next morning, and then you can't drive (because of the finger issue) so you have to call a towing service to come get your sled from your house and take it to the dealer and then you find out that you lost your phone when you were getting in the chopper the first time, so you have to buy a new phone and get in next day air because it is an emergency and then then you find out that one of the missed calls you had was your girlfriend having a heart attack because of your frozen finger issue and so they had to life flight her out that night and she didn't have health insurance and you are so mad that you kick her $12,000 dog right in the nutz and it dies....... is that covered?

That is frickin' hilarious! You should consider being a life insurance analyzer-Ben Stiller/Along Came Polly has nothin on you:clap2:

J
Nov 27, 2007
vipers

if you want a viper with the 15 motor call oregon trail in baker she has some 16s that are early build with the non problem motor no guarantee you wont get frostbite tho. julio

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
Im bringing this back up to fill those in that may be concerned with what I have found out.
First, I talked (ok perhaps yelled at times) at my dealer about this. He is a good man and cares. He didnt find out about the engine change until this fall.
Anyhow, he called his Yamaha rep, Mpi, and Troy Johnson and basically he said they are not having issues with the 180 kits. ( He knew full well I wasnt going with a 180 kit). But he blamed the failures on those dang Canadians and low altitude..... :face-icon-small-con
So, I had Brad do a little digging for me, and this is what he has come up with.
First, the 180 kits are not having issues. So if you are running one of those setups you should be good. Thats where it ends.
Mcx lost there 190 kit after an hour on the dyno. Hence they have stopped shipping kits. So has Hurricane..
Basically the rods will no longer hold up to those power levels. It is a fact and one you should face if you are looking to run these engines at or above those levels. Corrillo should have there rods out in a few weeks, but I was told there is a Swedish company that has been working on it since the first failures were known. They should have rods out first. I am not sure that will help us much over on this side of the pond but?
Regardless, if you have a late model 2016 engine and it is boosted, and you are running over the 180 hp range you need to be concerned. I was told with Evo pulling timing on there kits, that the 210 kit may be ok, only time will tell. The other kits are not pulling timing.
Take it for what it cost you. I am going to chance running the 210 tune until i get my hands on some Corrillos.. It sucks but what do you do....

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
Im bringing this back up to fill those in that may be concerned with what I have found out.
First, I talked (ok perhaps yelled at times) at my dealer about this. He is a good man and cares. He didnt find out about the engine change until this fall.
Anyhow, he called his Yamaha rep, Mpi, and Troy Johnson and basically he said they are not having issues with the 180 kits. ( He knew full well I wasnt going with a 180 kit). But he blamed the failures on those dang Canadians and low altitude..... :face-icon-small-con
So, I had Brad do a little digging for me, and this is what he has come up with.
First, the 180 kits are not having issues. So if you are running one of those setups you should be good. Thats where it ends.
Mcx lost there 190 kit after an hour on the dyno. Hence they have stopped shipping kits. So has Hurricane..
Basically the rods will no longer hold up to those power levels. It is a fact and one you should face if you are looking to run these engines at or above those levels. Corrillo should have there rods out in a few weeks, but I was told there is a Swedish company that has been working on it since the first failures were known. They should have rods out first. I am not sure that will help us much over on this side of the pond but?
Regardless, if you have a late model 2016 engine and it is boosted, and you are running over the 180 hp range you need to be concerned. I was told with Evo pulling timing on there kits, that the 210 kit may be ok, only time will tell. The other kits are not pulling timing.
Take it for what it cost you. I am going to chance running the 210 tune until i get my hands on some Corrillos.. It sucks but what do you do....

Man what is Yamaha doing?? This is such a step in the wrong direction. So how about the crank itself? How do we know that will hold up?

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
Man what is Yamaha doing?? This is such a step in the wrong direction. So how about the crank itself? How do we know that will hold up?

I dont think anyone knows that really. The rods have been a surprise. Once the rods are fixed and some time is spent on the machines, I am sure we will find out. I would honestly be surprised if the crank has issues. It would have to be very weak to have issues... but who knows.
kind of sad that the very thing that sold people on the four strokes is now weaker then the two's.... I can run big boost on a Cat 800/1000 all day long without worry!
I hope the rods fix it....

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
Just FYI. I have another solution for the rod problems.

The older Nytro/Viper crank, rods and pistons fit straight into the new engine, so the the balance shaft/weights. I bought a used crank, rods and pistons from a 2014 Viper with 25miles on it for around $800.
Decided not to wait for the Carrillo or Swedish rods that MAY come in 4-5weeks.

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
If this is the direction they want to go then my next sled will be a polaris. I might as well buy something that I know is going to break on me instead of a false sense of reliability.

Yamaha reads these forums...YOU ARE LOSING SIGHT OF YOUR CUSTOMER BASE. We want sleds that last!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
Its not just the Viper either, some people are having trouble with the YXZ side by side also loosing rods.

Premium Features