• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Any Evo Vipers out there??

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Ya, I want YOU to come out and install those Head Studs so I can run this baby at NUCLEAR MELTDOWN power levels.

maxresdefault.jpg

To bad it is 1000 miles away. Follow the instructions. Call me if you have any question and it will go well.

I remember the first time doing head studs myself. It was scary the thought of working on an engine that many in the 4 stroke biz talk about as a Swiss watch. But in the end following the instructions that come with the kit you will have great results.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Sorry to Hijack this thread with Christophers and my rambling.

I know that there a handful of kits that Evo sold last year. I think around 15 if my memory serves me correctly. So there are some out there. The quality of the kit is top notch. As with anything installation. It can make or break the kit. Pinched lines, even wiring connectors that are not "snapped" seated can cause havoc.

The reason I like the Evo kit without riding either the boost it or the Evo kit is that my friends at Evo are controlling many more aspects of the engine. The big one being ignition timing.

I have nothing wrong with those guys up in Canada. I really like that NM was the kind of guy that was looking to make the Yamaha engine fueling simple and easy to adjust when he developed the boost it box with SDS. But I think that Evo is a step above in the overall engine management system for adding a turbo.

Also my relationship with Evo started out purely as a customer of theirs. I really loved the fact that the 1100 turbo products they offered were top notch quality and I was able to bolt them on and ride like a stock sled with a bunch more power. Even to this day people may say I am a cheerleader for the product. I have since stepped away from the 4 stroke mountain sleds and gone back to a lightweight sled. Today I do not benefit from the success of Evolution. I do find joy in seeing someone I call a friend now to do well in something that he truly has a passion for.

I to hope that anyone who has a Evolution viper kit can weigh in on the question at hand.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Sorry to Hijack this thread with Christophers and my rambling. .
Its not Hijacking when you are discussing the CORE subject mater of the thread.

I have the EVO kit on my Viper.
I just need to get the Head Studs installed now and to be perfectly honest about it am not excited about tearing apart my engine. Would MUCH prefer to have you do it if you were out here in the neighborhood!

Nytroboost

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
What are the other benefits of the ignition timing in this kit other than being able to run a slightly lower octane fuel?

Nytroboost

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
Yes I agree Christopher, but is that the only reason behind it?

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
The turbo Viper is somewhere in between the Arctic cat 1100 turbo and an 800 turbo. The Viper is easier to handle and has a more light and agile feel than the 1100. It does not have the monster torque or monster horsepower of the 1100. To give you an example… In deep powder going uphill a turbo viper runs 57 to 60 mph track speed. My 1100 Superchute runs 75 to 77 mph track speed. That's on a 162 x 3 inch track on both sleds with similar gearing. For guys that like the four stroke torque and reliability, but didn't really like the 1100s girth, the Viper is a great set up.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
So you can run the EVO kit at 275 horsepower on 91 octane? If so maybe I'll consider it. Having to run 100LL is not going to work for me at my current location. I have heard LOTS of good about the Evo 1100 stuff.

I'm leaning towards Hurricane myself.. I like how I can buy the 190 kit now and then later on just pay 2000 for the 240hp stage 2 kit... If need be.

H

HANDSOME

Nov 28, 2007
Pouce Coupe
The turbo Viper is somewhere in between the Arctic cat 1100 turbo and an 800 turbo. The Viper is easier to handle and has a more light and agile feel than the 1100. It does not have the monster torque or monster horsepower of the 1100. To give you an example… In deep powder going uphill a turbo viper runs 57 to 60 mph track speed. My 1100 Superchute runs 75 to 77 mph track speed. That's on a 162 x 3 inch track on both sleds with similar gearing. For guys that like the four stroke torque and reliability, but didn't really like the 1100s girth, the Viper is a great set up.
15 plus mph track speed is huge. Are we talking 275 hp kits on both sleds ?

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
15 plus mph track speed is huge. Are we talking 275 hp kits on both sleds ?

if you ran the same set up on both then i dont see there being any diff in power with only 50cc between the 2 & the viper turning the higher rpm they are close in hp.
the 1100 makes allot of tork but the ones i have tried didnt make the track speed my nytro or viper make,but they are fast.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
My 1100 turbo with a big chute kit on pump fuel made 250 hp. The 1100 superchute kit makes 260+ on pump fuel. 290+ on 100ll. My 1100 was no slouch. 65+ mph track speeds climbing with a 174 on the 250 setting.

Power delivery is very different on the two machines. It is hard to explain.

W

Winter Nutz

Jan 3, 2012
Cranbrook BC
a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net

You should have got a boost-it kit for your viper. Woulda brought that track speed up for you ;)
We ride with a T1100 with the same kit you speak of. Doesn't compare to the nytro or viper. That's in the trees. Never seen it climb a chute. Can't imagine it does any better than the Yami's

Last edited:

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
You'll have talk to Neal for me!!!! That is about 290 ish on the 1100 and I am guessing about 230-240HP on the Viper. I like them both in their own right. As you said, though, in the trees it's the Viper all day for me.

Nytroboost

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
290 on the 1100 and 240 on the viper that's not comparing apples to apples. The viper is also capable of over 300hp if you want to spend the money. I'm sure you would get the track speed. But my viper last year was running about 65 mile and that's with a 174-3" and I was only running. 9 lbs of boost. So there is lots more left. This year will be running more boost so we'll see.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
I expect that the same hp on the two sleds will produce nearly the same track speed on a open climb with good clutching.

That being said the viper I feel will be better overall because of the way the power comes on. Also because of the differences in engine placement in the chassis and the weight difference. It is a hair lighter than the 1100t. The weight is in different areas in the chassis as well. The viper is more centralized with the engine as far back as physically possible and the header back as well. It is just a little more balanced than the 1100.

Would be nice to hear from some of the guys who ride with thunderstruck that have been around Trennis and Dan Bush. I believe that Trennis and Dan have been happy with the Evo Vipers they are running. Look for them in the new thunderstruck DVD to see the evo vipers run.

Premium Features