• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Timing a mid 90's kx500 for snowbike

the gman

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2012
Building a deep powder day 500 and the service manual shows timing for the Canadian and US applications and another mark for all others. Anyone play with this setting and which is the more aggressive. Thanks....

the gman

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2012
Yep, no long track, I like the shortie, running my 14 kit on it. If I can get it started....

ravenous

Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2013
Hi,G-man.
The 500 is not hard to start........with a decompressor.
Retarding the timing a hair helps with starting also, and lets it rev out
a little freer. Adjusting the exhaust valve so they dont over rotate
helps also and is part of the cure to prevent kickbacks.
The correct pilot jet is important, too. Then it should start like a 125!
Have fun.

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
put as much timing in it as you can. stock isnt close to enough. more timing helps the power everywhere. just run good fuel. been playing a bit on dyno w mine.

i have a pvl ignition, and it supposedly has the same curve as the stock kx ignition. mine is set at 19 degrees offset from tdc. thats way beyond what they tell you to run.

mine has some work done to it, but going from 16 deg to 19deg there is a 20 horse difference. basically bumps up the whole power curve.

be sure to add some fuel though. with the same jetting at 16 degrees, everything was wet inside and egt's were way up as it was pretty much just burning 1/2 the fuel in the pipe. crank it to 19 and egt's come down, start seeing some carbon in the engine like it should be.

ravenous

Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2013
Hey, Portgrinder!
Hope your having a good summer. Dirt biking is hot and dusty here right now.
We need some rain!
Your timing results are interesting. One of our kx500 motors is a 550 Gorr motor with PVL ignition. Same as you, we kept giving it more and more
timing and it ran stronger with each advance.
Not so with stock ignition and stock port timing. Try that much advance on a stocker and it kicks like a mule and runs like a P.O.S.
Some people like the PVL ignition, but I kinda learned to hate it. No key on the crank is a nuisance. I find it easier to move the stator instead of the flywheel
for timing changes. With a key your TDC marks stay consistent,too. But at least you can get some lighting power with a PVL!
The highly modded motors are funny. Big dyno numbers look great and all, but for rideability, reliability and fuel mileage, its hard to beat a well built, well tuned, close to stock motor.
So in our experience, retarding the timing a hair ON A STOCK kx 500 helps starting and improves rideability.
Weird that we're thinking about this stuff in August, eh?

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
i hear you, but i'll take 80 over 60 any day. would be one thing if its peaky but its not. raised the whole curve in my case.

Premium Features