• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Determining the value of a Highly Customized Mod-Sled??

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
OK Peeps, help me out here.
With my new Viper snow checked its time to find a new home for the SnoWest Project Sled "Nytrocity".
But to be honest, I don't have a clue what the value of the sled is.
The reality is that what I have invested in it over the last 4 years probably has little or no real bearing on its resale value.

How do you determine a fair market value of a mostly one of a kind sled?

2010 Yamaha Nytro MTX 162 SE.

http://www.snowest.com/forum/dto_garage.php?do=editvehicle&v=1782

<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0" height="545" width="425"><colgroup><col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:12105;width:248pt" width="331"> </colgroup><tbody><tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td style="height:15.0pt;width:248pt" height="20" width="331">Antigravity 12cell Lithium Battery</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td style="height:15.0pt" height="20">AVID Drivers
Dunatic Polished Tunnel
HID Light Conversion
</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td style="height:15.0pt" height="20">Jacobson Anti-Rollover Kit</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td style="height:15.0pt" height="20">KMOD Suspension</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td style="height:15.0pt" height="20">Koso X2 Boost, Temp, Air-Fuel gauge</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td style="height:15.0pt" height="20">MPI Supercharger w/ Inter-cooler "9.5psi"
</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td style="height:15.0pt" height="20">OFT Racing Steering Post Relocater
PsychoSled BOV
</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td style="height:15.0pt" height="20">PsychoSled "Secret Squirrel" Clutch Kit</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td style="height:15.0pt" height="20">PsychoSled Bridge Fuel Controller</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td style="height:15.0pt" height="20">Raptor Clicker Shocks, front and rear.
</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td style="height:15.0pt" height="20">Roest Racing Instrument Panel Mount</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td style="height:15.0pt" height="20">Roest Racing Instrument Panel Vent</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td style="height:15.0pt" height="20">Roest Racing Skid Plate</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td style="height:15.0pt" height="20">Simons Gen III skis</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td style="height:15.0pt" height="20">SKINZ, Rear Bumper</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td style="height:15.0pt" height="20">SKINZ Concept A-Arms</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td style="height:15.0pt" height="20">SKINZ, Air Frame Boards</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td style="height:15.0pt" height="20">SKINZ, Air Frame Seat & Storage Bag
</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td style="height:15.0pt" height="20">SKINZ, Front Bumper
SKINZ Tunnel Bag
SKINZ Tunnel Brake Light
</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td style="height:15.0pt" height="20">SKINZ, Under the Tunnel Exhaust Conversion</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td style="height:15.0pt" height="20">TrailTank Fuel Tank</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td style="height:15.0pt" height="20">TS Fabrications HD Oil Tank</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td style="height:15.0pt" height="20">Yamaha Ascent Track</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td style="height:15.0pt" height="20">Yamaha Hand Guards</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td style="height:15.0pt" height="20">YamaHeater Hand Warmers</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
It should be noted that..

There are NO known electro-mechanical problems with this sled.
It runs GREAT.

It is being sold only because I need a new project sled to keep modifying and writing about on SnoWest.

Darn near every modification listed above is HEAVILY documented here in the Yamaha forum, so it's history is well established.

Sled will come with all of it's OEM Parts.

Picture of sled about half way along the journey of being transformed into the above list.
Photos are for example only and do NOT show exactly how the sled looks today.
When I put it up for sale, I will post detailed photos of exactly how she looks now.

picture.php

picture.php

So the Ten Thousand Dollar question is

whats-it-worth-banner.jpg

Last edited:

kinger9

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2009
www.piergenius.com
Take the book value of the stock sled and hope for 30% additional for all mods.

Sad to say because your sled is freaking cool.

Much better off taking all the goodies off and getting sled back to stock to sell then sell or keep some of the goodies for the viper. It will sell better stock because people who mod sleds want to modify it to their tastes not yours.

I have had my rear suspension in 3 different sleds now, just makes sense to keep moving it and make it work. (ie your Kmod)

Lastly your labor is worthless too, so is mine, we do as a labor of love haha Good luck cant wait for reviews of the new Viper.

Snow Duck

The Great and Mighty SnowDuck
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Aug 27, 2009
Kuna Idaho to Elk City Idaho..
I hate the whats it worth?? its worth what you value it at...you allready know you will never get close to what you have into it so lets do a give away! lol. no really wounded worrior project could be a huge tax write off!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I hate the whats it worth?? its worth what you value it at...you allready know you will never get close to what you have into it so lets do a give away! lol. no really wounded worrior project could be a huge tax write off!
At the end of the day its only WORTH what someone else is willing to PAY for it.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
At the end of the day its only WORTH what someone else is willing to PAY for it.

Truer words were never spoken.

This is truly one of the worst parts of our sport. It kills me what little amount of money on mods and upgrades can be recovered in a sale of a sled.

One thing I do know is that if you are really truly wanting to get the absolute most money out your project, then reinstalling as many stock items as possible (or feasible) and then either selling them seperate, or reusing them on your next sled (if possible) seems to be a better way of recouping the maximum return.

I started doing this on my last few sleds and it has been helping.

Retaining the stock, takeoff parts for this purpose can help maximize your return on your investment.

Probably not telling you anything you already know and not helping you with your bottom line question.

F

freeflorider

Mar 29, 2010
In the koots...bc
Sadly nothing.

Thinking you already know the answer Chris, have a look at all the top nytro mods sleds and see what there selling for...surly a lot less then there asking on sw.
Maybe you should just keep it, seems like old retro sleds might be making a come back.
Might be worth more in 10 yrs then it's worth now.

Last edited:

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
if your luck 12-14k... especially this time of year.i have sort of lost track of the value of sleds like that.

In general, if you go wild on detail and expensive trinkets, expect about 1/3 what you have invested seems to be a fair number.

If you have just the bare bones stuff, boost, track, skid, etc. then you can maybe get half what you have tied up into it.

nice sled, but once the viper came out, SO many people ditching highly modded nytros.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I am VERY fortunate in that because this is part of my business, I do NOT have to try and wring out every possible penny from reselling this sled. This was a project sled, and while I spent a pile of money on her over the years, she has more than paid her own way in teaching me about the moding community and what really drives the mountain portion of our sport. Nytrocity was my BAPTISM BY FIRE so to speak. She quite literally taught me everything I know about sledding.

Someone is going to get a "sweet" sled and a "Sweatheart" deal once I figure out a "Reasonable" amount to ask for her.

Invested: $25,000 EASILY

Resale Value: Still Unknown....

Is she worth HALF?
$12,500

Is she worth 40%?
$10,000

=====

Book Value on the base unmodified sled.

From NADA
http://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycles/2010/Yamaha/FX10M62SZB-NY-MTX-SE-1049cc/Values

Low Retail = $6,450
Average Retail = $8,495

From Kelly Blue Book
http://www.kbb.com/snowmobile/retail/2010/yamaha/fx-nytro-mtx-se-162/266624/

Suggested Retail Value $7,325

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Now that the reviews are out on the new vipers. That is going to be a really hard sell for sure. Although all the mods you have done have improved the nytro. Your still trying to sell old technology on a discontinued platform It's worth more parted out then together. Back East and mid West it would probably worth more then out West as well.
I tried selling mine last year. It has a lot of the same parts as your except the fancy air pump and air frame boards it was all ready to add boost and had very low miles and I had no replies when it was listed at blue book price of 6500 However I do live in Poo & Doo country Your sled is really nice for sure good luck trying to sell it You might end up keeping as a back up sled though because as everyone above has said. You will never Get back what you have in it

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
if your luck 12-14k... especially this time of year.i have sort of lost track of the value of sleds like that.

In general, if you go wild on detail and expensive trinkets, expect about 1/3 what you have invested seems to be a fair number.

If you have just the bare bones stuff, boost, track, skid, etc. then you can maybe get half what you have tied up into it.

nice sled, but once the viper came out, SO many people ditching highly modded nytros.

If I got HALF for the sled I would be very happy, and consider that a win-win for me and the new owner.

Time is on my side with this one.
Don't need to have her sold for 6 months, so I can be patient and look for the right home for her.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Thinking you already know the answer Chris, have a look at all the top nytro mods sleds and see what there selling for...surly a lot less then there asking on sw.
Maybe you should just keep it, seems like old retro sleds might be making a come back.
Might be worth more in 10 yrs then it's worth now.
I considered keeping her as a backup sled.
But given the nature of my business I REALLY need to move up to the current sled that yamaha is offering and try hard to keep up with the evolving technology.

I am actually toying with the idea of selling my 2nd nytro as well and getting Two Vipers.

One that will remain a stocker and one that will evolve into another full mod sled over the next few years.

Having never sold a used sled before, this is all part of the learning process for me..

sledheadd

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
too far from mountains Alberta Canada
My best guess on it's value would be $8500- $ 10,000 here in canada
I have an 08 nytro with roughly $40 k in it and would be lucky to get $11-12 k for it
I would keep the Kmod and install it in the viper, I have already asked Kevin and with different cross shafts it will work.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
My best guess on it's value would be $8500- $ 10,000 here in canada
I have an 08 nytro with roughly $40 k in it and would be lucky to get $11-12 k for it
I would keep the Kmod and install it in the viper, I have already asked Kevin and with different cross shafts it will work.

Isn't that just tragic ?
What is it about Mod Sleds that they hold such a tiny amount of their value?

mysledblows

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
[QUOTE
What is it about Mod Sleds that they hold such a tiny amount of their value?[/QUOTE]

Half the fun is the build. It's done and we are sick of them and ready to build something new and shiny.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Half the fun is the build. It's done and we are sick of them and ready to build something new and shiny.
ABSOLUTELY.
The build was easily half the fun.
Its what got me through the long hot misserable summer.
Kept me looking forward to WINTER...

But that doesn't explain why this vehicle has so little resale value compared to others?

mysledblows

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
That's the joy of building a mod sled. They are always worth more in pieces. Otherwise you are waiting for that one person that wants exactly what you built and actually has $$ available at tha time to take it off your hands. What it's worth and what you can sell it for will most likely be two very different things. We all know it's a 25k sled. It's worth half that. To sell it you'll end up at about 1/3 that number. Sucks but it's the nature of the beast.

Y

yzviper366

Aug 15, 2012
Bismarck, ND
I had a 08 nytro with everything you have and probably more. I had planned on putting it for sale for around 8500 pretty sad but thats how it goes. I ended up totalling it so I guess I didnt have to worry about selling it.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I guess depending on how it was insured that might not have been a horrible solution

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2 pro.

Premium Features