• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Good way to keep snow out of the beltdrive?

B
Jan 20, 2009
Went riding today in about 3 feet of fresh snow. The sled performed flawlessly and amazed me all day. When I put it in the shop I opend the side panel and couldn't believe the amout of snow in my beltdrive area. I know companys make vents but I have a blowhole on the clutch side and was wondering what you guys do for the other side? Thanks!

rick5150

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2012
mpls
Footwell vents and plug the hole in the plastic under belt drive (where chain case oil would have drained out)

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
I have a foot well screen and mine had a bunch of snow build up. you need to cover the hole under the belt drive. i made a duct tape patch for now. Waiting for my local dealer to get wrp skid plates in.

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
Don't forget the belly pan block off plate from Starting Line. Running them since 2011 along with foot well screens and I never have snow in my engine compartment.....unless something bad has happened there never will be.

D

Dabull

Nov 26, 2007
utah
Is'nt it a good idea to allow snow to get in to help keep the belt temps down ? Didn't Polaris claim heat was part of the problem with belt failure on the 13s ? Just thinking out loud :face-icon-small-hap

F

Flying Dutchman

Dec 14, 2007
Red Deer
^^Same question. Does it really matter?
And if snow does get in, it will eventually melt. If the hole is blocked off, where will the water go? Then when it freezes, there will be an ice pack under the belt waiting to chew it up. Again, just thinking out loud.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I've seen so much snow build up in mine...and it did turn to ice.
That ice was REALLY close to my QD belt.

I'd hate to have a chunk of ice grinding on the QD belt.

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
I've seen so much snow build up in mine...and it did turn to ice.
That ice was REALLY close to my QD belt.

I'd hate to have a chunk of ice grinding on the QD belt.

That makes sense. Although if the snow isn't melted by my next ride I stick the sled in the garage the night before and turn on the heat.

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
VEI belt gaurd covers the drain hole keeping most of the snow out. It should still allow the water to drain though. Here is a pic of it mounted on my sled:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
What happens when snow or ice get wedged between belt and sprocket and there is no slack in the belt?

Must be a good idea to prevent that from happening!

I can imagine that I had snow and ice get into the pulleys and belt. I'm quite sure of it.
I've opened my panel on deep powder days and looked in there. LOTS of snow. The pulleys do maintain enough heat to keep powder melted off...but you know it comes in and hits it while it's running. It must.

It probably adds to the cooling feature. Can't hurt to keep that belt from overheating.

The powder gets pulverized when it's in there. (can you imagine getting your finger sucked in there when running at 25 or 30mph?)

I'd be silly to think ice didn't make it's way in there also.
My belt is in good shape. Visual inspection shows no damage or areas of concern.

My dealer actually inspected my sled this week. I'd hear from them if they thought something was up, too.

With this ice and snow in mind...I didn't take any chances and in about March, I installed the VE drop pan like shown above just for piece of mind.
But my main reason for installing it was because I also didn't want some rock or log coming up through the tub plastic and punching into my lower pulley.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
What people can't see...and may not know:

That drop pan is OPEN on the track-facing side. No side panel. TOTALLY open!!!

It drains.

VEI belt gaurd covers the drain hole keeping most of the snow out. It should still allow the water to drain though. Here is a pic of it mounted on my sled:

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
If I ever break a belt, then, only after proving that it was ice that caused the failure would I even begin to worry about snow or ice on the belt.

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
^^Same question. Does it really matter?
And if snow does get in, it will eventually melt. If the hole is blocked off, where will the water go? Then when it freezes, there will be an ice pack under the belt waiting to chew it up. Again, just thinking out loud.

my duct tape had water build up but the skid plates only cover the bottom of the hole, the side the water can pour out of.

edit:

i see scott already pointed this out.

Premium Features