• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

whyyyyy is snowest so slow lately? (502/504 Gateway Errors)

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

miko700

Dec 16, 2009
Washington cascade concrete
human nature :(

Its one of my peeves of human nature.....(grumbly old man)...........though I love cutting edge and progression as much as the next guy.........we often tend to exceed our capabilities of base with desire for bling......if processing speed is a ten....we must load everything up with so much crap ...advertising/emoticons that move etc......that the damn base product works like crap......and so on and so on and so on.....ironically computers were faster in many way tens years ago...b4 they put 25 moving ads in the corners.......ps while im crying add 40 pounds back to my sled and just make it not blow an engine every 1200 miles.............. SLOW DOWN and do it right! thanks for listening! :argue: moving emoticon added to slow this message down!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The infamous database errors on IE have begun this morning. In addtion to this issue.

Malware now.

If they really care about paying members then all paying memebers should have an automatic 1 month added to their subscription.

Does chris even realize this is now been going on for a month?

I'm sorry but if I was running this site, I would feel like a complete failure!!!

Chris is PAINFULLY AWARE of this!

But this is OUTSIDE of my domain.
I can not force Harris to REMOVE THE PROXY SERVER.
I have asked and asked and asked again that they get rid of it.

We have done all we can to reduce the impact of this device on the forums but I can not make it go away.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Chris is PAINFULLY AWARE of this!

But this is OUTSIDE of my domain.
I can not force Harris to REMOVE THE PROXY SERVER.
I have asked and asked and asked again that they get rid of it.

We have done all we can to reduce the impact of this device on the forums but I can not make it go away.

Another fine example of why to never hire or accept a job offer from family. You get no respect as you are just someone's brat kid who needed a job. Even if you are the most qualified person for the position. No offense Chris but that is the reality of your position working for the family business. You feeling a little like Rodney Dangerfeild? Or was that film before your time?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Another fine example of why to never hire or accept a job offer from family. You get no respect as you are just someone's brat kid who needed a job. Even if you are the most qualified person for the position. No offense Chris but that is the reality of your position working for the family business. You feeling a little like Rodney Dangerfeild? Or was that film before your time?
Its an odd position to be in to be sure.
I own and opperate the servers & software that powers the forums.
And I am fully responsible for everything that happens within the forum themselves.

But our servers live inside the Harris Publishing Building and they placed the Proxy Server in front of our servers (and all of theirs as well) to serve as a single entrance point for all traffic entering their system.

I am literally between a ROCK and a HARDPLACE on this.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Okay...So just out of curiousity, if someone were NOT getting the service that they have paid for, WHO is responsible for it?
Yes Christopher, you can pass the buck off as not being responsible, but in the end, the customer doesn't give a crap about anything other than fact that they have paid for something that they are not getting. When paying for something, people care about one thing, what they have paid for. They don't give a rat's *** about how it got there, who got it there, or where it came from. WHO DO THESE PEOPLE COMPLAIN TO?
I find it highly offensive that I am getting notices to pay for a service that is defective. (Even though the service has been negatively affecting me a small amount compared to many many others.)
This is like a manager at Burger King selling rotten burgers to people, acknowledging that they are selling a rotten product, yet continuing to take customer's money for the rotten product, all the while telling them that they are trying not do it.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
>>workaround<<
workaround.jpg

OK Guys.
Here is a double edged solution to the problem.

If you are one of the people who is getting HAMMERED by this proxy server and it is SERIOUSLY IMPACTING your ability to use the SnoWest Forums, here is a solution. But you ABSOLUTELY MUST understand this solution comes with a serious attached price.

If you implement this workaround you will NOT be able to visit the main snowest site. It will become inaccessible to you!

But this will guide your internet browser around the proxy server and back directly into the forum server which should END all of the proxy related problems.

I would NOT implement this workaround unless you are really suffering!

And this will ONLY work for PC Users running on Windows.

====

Windows Vista and Windows 7

Vista and Windows 7 use User Account Control (UAC) so Notepad must be run as Administrator.

1. Click Start -> All Programs -> Accessories

2. Right click Notepad and select Run as administrator

3. Click Continue on the "Windows needs your permission" UAC window.

4. When Notepad opens Click File -> Open

5. In the filename field type C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts
(if you do not see the hosts file, change file type in the bottom right corner from "Text Documents (*.txt)" to "All Files (*.*)"

6. Click Open

7. Add the following line to the bottom of the file
66.232.90.183 snowest.com www.snowest.com snowestonline.com www.snowestonline.com

8. Click File-Save

9. Reboot your system.

=====

Then try accessing the forums directly at
http://www.snowest.com/forum/

Last edited:

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Its an odd position to be in to be sure.
I own and opperate the servers & software that powers the forums.
And I am fully responsible for everything that happens within the forum themselves.

But our servers live inside the Harris Publishing Building and they placed the Proxy Server in front of our servers (and all of theirs as well) to serve as a single entrance point for all traffic entering their system.

I am literally between a ROCK and a HARDPLACE on this.

Maybe everyone's paid subscription needs to be extended until this can be resolved. Funny that this has never happened on any of the many many other non paid forums that I am a member of, from rc cars, to 4x4 trucks to firearms to pets, etc etc etc.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Maybe everyone's paid subscription needs to be extended until this can be resolved. Funny that this has never happened on any of the many many other non paid forums that I am a member of, from rc cars, to 4x4 trucks to firearms to pets, etc etc etc.
it has nothing to do with paid or unpaid memberships.
This is all about traffic flow.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
And again, the customer cares nothing about traffic flow, midgets in Iceland fingerbanging their moms, or anything else. This is about a customer paying for something and not getting it. THE END RESULT IS WHAT MATTERS. PAY FOR SOMETHING, GET IT.
Does anyone here think, care, or give a crap about what I do and go through to obtain a snowmobile, tear it down, clean the parts, sell them, or ship them? NO.
They pay for something, say a $10 switch: I pull the switch, make sure it is ok, and ship it, to the best of my abilities. I provide a tracking number, insure it, and trust the USPS or UPS to get it there, everyone is usually happy happy happy.
If I were to get screwed over on a sled deal, pay twice as much it is worth, cut my finger off tearing it down, house burns to the ground, kids get sick and barf all over my computer, break my leg walking downstairs to ship the part, ETC, do I EVER let that impact my delivering a part to my customer? NO. Never have. I AM RESPONSIBLE TO DELIVER WHAT I AM PAID TO DELIVER, REGARDLESS! If something were to happen, and it was beyond my control, I would compensate my customer accordingly.
THAT is the problem here, people have paid for a service and are not getting it, with zero compensation. Mind you, I have had very little impact from this problem, yet I am still pretty miffed about it, since getting a notice that I need to pay my subscription.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
>>workaround<<
workaround.jpg

OK Guys.
Here is a double edged solution to the problem.

If you are one of the people who is getting HAMMERED by this proxy server and it is SERIOUSLY IMPACTING your ability to use the SnoWest Forums, here is a solution. But you ABSOLUTELY MUST understand this solution comes with a serious attached price.

If you implement this workaround you will NOT be able to visit the main snowest site. It will become inaccessible to you!

But this will guide your internet browser around the proxy server and back directly into the forum server which should END all of the proxy related problems.

I would NOT implement this workaround unless you are really suffering!

And this will ONLY work for PC Users running on Windows.

====

Windows Vista and Windows 7

Vista and Windows 7 use User Account Control (UAC) so Notepad must be run as Administrator.

1. Click Start -> All Programs -> Accessories

2. Right click Notepad and select Run as administrator

3. Click Continue on the "Windows needs your permission" UAC window.

4. When Notepad opens Click File -> Open

5. In the filename field type C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts
(if you do not see the hosts file, change file type in the bottom right corner from "Text Documents (*.txt)" to "All Files (*.*)"

6. Click Open

7. Add the following line to the bottom of the file
66.232.90.183 snowest.com www.snowest.com snowestonline.com www.snowestonline.com

8. Click File-Save

9. Reboot your system.

=====

Then try accessing the forums directly at
http://www.snowest.com/forum/

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
This crap is ridiculous

:frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty: Spent an hour trying to load any page. Never got any error messages (Macbook and Safari) but no "sled P0RN" (wife's term for my addiction) satisfaction either. Finally had to drive to town and eat dinner just so this page would load and I could B!tch about this yet again. Chris and you other Azzhats at Harris FIX THIS NOW or I'll drive my normally Happy Azz down to Idaho from Alaska for the pure satisfaction of pulling the F'ing plug on that God Damned! Proxy Server and stomping your azz's back to the potato feilds where you came from and should have stayed.

Rant over until the next time! Please save me a 36 hour speed drive down the Alcan just to make this right for everyone! You know what the right thing to do is! Just do it!

Last edited:

wfieldin

Lifetime Membership
Jul 28, 2009
Denver
It's back, clicking on Forum:

502 Bad Gateway

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

nginx/1.1.19

S

skidoorulz

Nov 21, 2007
Billings Montana
Bad Gateway error 502 at 12:13 today. Why can't this problem be resolved? My membership is up in May and will seriously think before I renew if you don't get it fixed. P.S. I use a MAC so the workaround will not get around it. When I get the error I can usually go to history and get in from a thread but why should this have to be done?

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Guys........they don't give a sh!t. Its very clear. Its been like 5 weeks, More then enough time to fix this problem. If they can fix it, I;m sure there is a company they can PAY to FIX the damn web site that we PAY TO USE.

Eric

zalez

Lifetime Membership
Jan 5, 2012
Bad Gateway error 502 at 12:13 today. Why can't this problem be resolved? My membership is up in May and will seriously think before I renew if you don't get it fixed. P.S. I use a MAC so the workaround will not get around it. When I get the error I can usually go to history and get in from a thread but why should this have to be done?

This is for OS X 10.8 but should be similar for Mavericks

Step 1 – Open the Terminal.app

Either start typing <code>Terminal</code> in the Spotlight search, or goto Applications > Utilities > Terminal.
Step 2 – Open the host file

Open the hosts file by typing the following in the Terminal window:

Code:
$ sudo nano /private/etc/hosts
</pre> Type your user password when prompted.
Step 3 – Edit the hosts file

The hosts file contains some comments (lines starting with the # symbol), as well as some default hostname mappings (e.g. 127.0.0.1 – local host). Simply append your new mappings underneath the default ones.
Step 4 – Save the hosts file

When done editing the hosts file, press Control+o to save the file.
Press Enter on the filename prompt, and
Control-x to exit the editor.
Step 5 – Flush the DNS cache

You can use a simple Terminal command to flush the DNS cache, and have your host file changes take immediate effect. Using the open Terminal window, then the following command:

Code:
$ dscacheutil -flushcache
</pre> Your new mappings should now take effect.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
This crap is ridiculous

Spent an hour trying to load any page. Never got any error messages (Macbook and Safari) but no "sled P0RN" (wife's term for my addiction) satisfaction either. Finally had to drive to town and eat dinner just so this page would load and I could B!tch about this yet again. Chris and you other Azzhats at Harris FIX THIS NOW or I'll drive my normally Happy Azz down to Idaho from Alaska for the pure satisfaction of pulling the F'ing plug on that God Damned Proxy Server.

Rant over until the next time! Please save me a 36 hour speed drive down the Alcan just to make this right for everyone! You know what the right thing to do is! Just do it!

When you get here let me know and I will OPEN THE DOOR FOR YOU and invite you in.

Guys.
Seriously.
I have asked and asked and asked again for them to REMOVE THE PROXY.

The best solution I can offer you is what I posted above. That WILL SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM until we can convince them to remove the Proxy Server once and for all.

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
what does this proxy do?
<mytubeelement data="{"bundle":{"label_delimitor":":","percentage":"%","smart_buffer":"Smart Buffer","start_playing_when_buffered":"Start playing when buffered","sound":"Sound","desktop_notification":"Desktop Notification","continuation_on_next_line":"-","loop":"Loop","only_notify":"Only Notify","estimated_time":"Estimated Time","global_preferences":"Global Preferences","no_notification_supported_on_your_browser":"No notification style supported on your browser version","video_buffered":"Video Buffered","buffered":"Buffered","hyphen":"-","buffered_message":"The video has been buffered as requested and is ready to play.","not_supported":"Not Supported","on":"On","off":"Off","click_to_enable_for_this_site":"Click to enable for this site","desktop_notification_denied":"You have denied permission for desktop notification for this site","notification_status_delimitor":";","error":"Error","adblock_interferance_message":"Adblock (or similar extension) is known to interfere with SmartVideo. Please add this url to adblock whitelist.","calculating":"Calculating","waiting":"Waiting","will_start_buffering_when_initialized":"Will start buffering when initialized","will_start_playing_when_initialized":"Will start playing when initialized","completed":"Completed","buffering_stalled":"Buffering is stalled. Will stop.","stopped":"Stopped","hr":"Hr","min":"Min","sec":"Sec","any_moment":"Any Moment","popup_donate_to":"Donate to","extension_id":null},"prefs":{"desktopNotification":true,"soundNotification":true,"logLevel":0,"enable":true,"loop":false,"hidePopup":false,"autoPlay":false,"autoBuffer":false,"autoPlayOnBuffer":false,"autoPlayOnBufferPercentage":42,"autoPlayOnSmartBuffer":true,"quality":"hd1080","fshd":true,"onlyNotification":false,"enableFullScreen":true,"saveBandwidth":false,"hideAnnotations":false,"turnOffPagedBuffering":true}}" event="preferencesUpdated" id="myTubeRelayElementToPage"></mytubeelement><mytubeelement data="{"loadBundle":true}" event="relayPrefs" id="myTubeRelayElementToTab"></mytubeelement>

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
When you get here let me know and I will OPEN THE DOOR FOR YOU and invite you in.

Guys.
Seriously.
I have asked and asked and asked again for them to REMOVE THE PROXY.

The best solution I can offer you is what I posted above. That WILL SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM until we can convince them to remove the Proxy Server once and for all.

Chris it is way past time to man up, Take matters into your own hands and disconnect the problem. Remove the tumor already! It may be Benign to all you Harris employees but it is Malignant and incurable for thousands of us out here that use and usually enjoy this site.

If you don't have any stroke there by yourself, post up the other azzhats emails so we can convince them this is a real problem.

I did not choose to go Mac and avoid all the Microsoft based crap to have to resort to machine language to bypass something that should not be my problem in the first place.

THE TIME IS NOW!
TO PULL THE PLUG!​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features