• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Newb question on Dragon 700 rmk off idle rpm hunting

RexFlex23

Premium Member
Oct 29, 2010
Minnesota
I have a 2008 Dragon 700 163, picked it up used last year. Has slp pipe, can, ves hoses blocked off, etc. Now the dumb question... how "smooth" should my sled be just off idle as belt is just engaging? What I mean is when slowly trail riding as in 5-10 mph it seems like it is hunting for an rpm range (talking just enough change that I notice the motor is not smooth). It doesn't cause the sled to behave any differently or anything just more of it sounds like an old snowblower that isn't running right where you get the wer, wer, wer noise. Is that normal and possibly caused by belt not fully being engaged so it slips which frees up the motor and then catches or something? Notice similar things when tractoring through trees, but ONLY at low speed.

I've checked the TPS with analog volt meter and it's smooth... is this behavior normal or do I have a possible issue? Sorry complete newb and heading to Tog next week so if something is up want to address now in case needs to visit shop, etc. Freaking out after reading "surging" issues on other posts being the Voltage Regulator, TPS, ECM, etc. :-(

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
What is the belt like? New? They can get burn spots on them and cause some low speed funkiness. Might try just throwing a new belt on it and see if its better.

Does it go away if the pipe is good and hot? Do you know which pipe you have, the stardard or the performance edition? Do you notice this there at home in Minn or also when riding it in the mountains at higher elevation?

sled_guy

RexFlex23

Premium Member
Oct 29, 2010
Minnesota
New belt that had been scrubbed. Notice it all the time both here in MN and in WY. Not sure on which pipe I have, how can I tell? I'm not ported or anything like the SLP Performance kit says. Happens just after starting and then on way home after a day of riding. Don't notice much when off trail and in the throttle but on the trail running slower speed/constant it seems to "hunt" for a constant rpm to run at.

Last edited:

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
Sounds like a clutch issue. Have you serviced them recently? Weights, springs, etc are wear items and need replacement. A good cleaning is also good to ensure everything moves like it should.

RexFlex23

Premium Member
Oct 29, 2010
Minnesota
That's what my buddy told me as well. Bought the clutch alignment tool as well as the puller/holder/spider tools and pulled things apart. Belt to sheave clearance was off so shimmed that for the mtx weights and my clutches were not aligned which is when I found I was missing a bolt on the clutch side motor mount. I got that taken care of and cinched down now and alignment is correct. Makes me feel a little better that there were some changes in the clutching and the fact that thus far nobody has said TPS, ECM, etc :face-icon-small-ton Cleaned things up and now need to check belt deflection. Fingers crossed

Premium Features