• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Love of snowmobiling

H

hillhor

Apr 26, 2010
east coast
HI

i am sure if you are on this forum, you share the same love/addiction to riding. There is just "something" about it and only fellow riders just "get it". So, my dilema, being single. Meeting someone who doesn't ride. I have seen men leave their wives and girlfriends home every weekend to ride. i get that. I have listened to these women, and i get there side too. I
just met someone who doesn't ride and already within a week made a small comment about how we wouldn't see me much this winter....

not sure how to handle this situation. i mean.... how do you explain to someone that even when your out riding in the middle of nowhere with five feet + snow surrounding you, on a saturday, that you're already thinking of the next weekend because there is a storm brewing that could possibly dump more feets of snow....:face-icon-small-ton

non-riders consider the men who leave their women home selfish. just having a hard time being considered that self-fish person. it's easier for a man to get a women involed in riding, because it's how i got into it.
i figure men are into sledding or motorsports in general because it's a part of who they are. some women are very much like that too. it's in you or it isn't.

I am a single 39 yr old woman who has my own mnt sled, loads my own sled, has my own camp and even rides alone within limits. i haven't let being single stop me from riding and as selfish as it may sound, i don't want to let anyone stop me out of guilt

am i selfish to worry, am i selfish to just wish he was into sledding, it shouldn't matter, just kinda a big bummer.... nothing like a good ride shredding fresh powder with good people. be nice to share that with the person you love.

any other woman out there with a man who doesn't ride? do they mind? and how do you handle if it bothers them?

M

Momma

Jun 20, 2009
In the heart of the Kootenays BC
HI

i am sure if you are on this forum, you share the same love/addiction to riding. There is just "something" about it and only fellow riders just "get it". So, my dilema, being single. Meeting someone who doesn't ride. I have seen men leave their wives and girlfriends home every weekend to ride. i get that. I have listened to these women, and i get there side too. I
just met someone who doesn't ride and already within a week made a small comment about how we wouldn't see me much this winter....

not sure how to handle this situation. i mean.... how do you explain to someone that even when your out riding in the middle of nowhere with five feet + snow surrounding you, on a saturday, that you're already thinking of the next weekend because there is a storm brewing that could possibly dump more feets of snow....:face-icon-small-ton

non-riders consider the men who leave their women home selfish. just having a hard time being considered that self-fish person. it's easier for a man to get a women involed in riding, because it's how i got into it.
i figure men are into sledding or motorsports in general because it's a part of who they are. some women are very much like that too. it's in you or it isn't.

I am a single 39 yr old woman who has my own mnt sled, loads my own sled, has my own camp and even rides alone within limits. i haven't let being single stop me from riding and as selfish as it may sound, i don't want to let anyone stop me out of guilt

am i selfish to worry, am i selfish to just wish he was into sledding, it shouldn't matter, just kinda a big bummer.... nothing like a good ride shredding fresh powder with good people. be nice to share that with the person you love.

any other woman out there with a man who doesn't ride? do they mind? and how do you handle if it bothers them?

I had one once..... I now refer to him as my EX huband... being with a brapper makes life so much easier.

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
<<----male perspective there is something to be said for having commen interested and seperate interests to keep a relationship healthy with someone. we are all selfish to some extent so i would not worry about that too much.

Have you encouraged him to at least trying it out? maybe he is one of those guys who are deathly intimidated by a women being able to do something better then them. its sad but it happens. or maybe he just has not had an oppertunity to learn before now.

I would think that if he is totaly against even the concept of trying sledding that it will eventually build resentment and drive a wedge between you because it sounds like sledding is a big part of your life. Dont sell yourself self short just because you met a great guy. He may be a great guy but he may not be right fit for the you as a person. There are a lot of good guy out there who would jump at the chance to have someone in their lives that likes to ride as much as it sounds like you do. May i suggest slowing down a little some of them might being having issues keeping up :face-icon-small-ton

It is easier when you are with someone that understands what it takes to do what you love doing time wise money wise. and understands the big picture

W

Woops!

Mar 13, 2011
Fairbanks, AK
Wow, I gotta say that would be tough... As most of us gals, I got into riding because of my hubby, and now can't imagine going without riding. Loving it as much as you do, unless he's totally cool being without you on riding days it would be tough to make it work....it's just too much a part of us. We all have seen how women feel sometimes about their hubbys leaving them behind to ride, in my experience, Men do not wait on the back burner very well. Is he not interested in riding at all?

P
Oct 13, 2009
Castlegar, BC
That's a tough one... I guess it would depend on how important sledding is to you vs. how much you love and respect your partner. My hubby is my best friend and the best riding partner I could ask for, but if there was some reason we couldn't ride, injuries, finances, whatever, we would just find something else we love doing just as much. If your partner doesn't at least share your passion and isn't willing to try sledding, then it probably won't work :(

F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
HI

Drop the guy, Move to CO and lets get to riding together:face-icon-small-win
...the voice of a single male type who would also be STOKED to share my riding passion with my significant other...

And as a dude I would be remiss if I didn't request that you PM me some pictures of you and your sled before we decide to move in together:face-icon-small-ton

Good luck!

allierae

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2012
Sylvan Lake Alberta
I have to agree with the replies on here, if he is afraid to ride with you for intimidation reasons or anything of the sort then he probably has an ego in other areas as well. I think if I was in your shoes I would ask him if he was ok with me being gone all winter and that might give him some motivation, I don't like being "left behind" so I got into sledding in a real hurry to be able to go out with my significant other. Turns out I love it! I hope that at some point you find someone who shares that "something about it" with you!

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
I love my wife.

She does all kinds of things that I don't do...and there are things I like to do that she doesn't. This does not make me love her less but just the opposite. I love her independence...ability to get out and do something she wants without needing a partner to hold her hand along the way. ALthough if she needs me then of course I am there to lean on.

Honestly it sounds like your kinda hung up on the fact that you snowmobile?

If you really love someone....all the other stuff just falls to the side.

C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
I

just having a hard time being considered that self-fish person.

i don't want to let anyone stop me out of guilt

If you JUST met him, walk away. Starting out with a battle isn't a winning situation. You are not selfish, this is your hobby, your passion... NO ONE should ever ask you to give it up and NO ONE should ever allow someone else to ask you to give it up.

Don't let them stop you. STOP IT now. :)

There's my tough love.... lol There is someone out there that will share and love this sport with you. :heart:

mtpwdrchick

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
MT
My husband and I met our best friends several years ago. We were not beelers and after just a few weekends of watching them go off riding and listening to them talk about it, we wanted in on the action.
I say give a new relationship time. You will know if he's worth it sooner rather than later. Show him (without judgement) how much you love the sport and maybe he will want in on the action too!

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Drop the guy, Move to CO and lets get to riding together:face-icon-small-win
...the voice of a single male type who would also be STOKED to share my riding passion with my significant other...

And as a dude I would be remiss if I didn't request that you PM me some pictures of you and your sled before we decide to move in together:face-icon-small-ton

Good luck!
X2..except come to alaska...we have lots of great guys...oh..and about them pics...and what kind of sled do you ride?...In all honesty...tell him to give it a fair chance..winters not far off, teach him the basics, explain to him what it is that you love about sledding ..
If you can get him to try it..then do it just as a guy would with taking a woman out..get him great clothes so he doesnt get cold, plan a beginners day ride for him..trails some meadows...nothing to hard..then turn it into fun..tell him he can have you right here right now.. if he can keep up with you on a easy little cross country ride(hey now..you gotta make it where he can catch you..right?..its more fun that way)....take the dread of being outdone by a woman out of the equation..show him you want him to share this with you...good luck..hope it doesnt work and ya move north(my selfish side coming out)...mike

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
Hillhor...

I NEVER post here and respect this side of the forum to be private to you gals..however, what you posted really hits home with me. Being as my situation is the same with my wife. I have been guilted by others and called selfish by my mother-in-law for doing what I love.(mother-in-law still says I have a mtn mistress) Sometimes I even feel they are right i guess. But after reading your post I dont think we are selfish!
I have tried to get my wife into sledding and she simply loves snow but hates to ride. She loves the outdoors but cant handle the machine, its just not her thing. She has finally just concluded to let me have my time in the winter with my good friend...or as she refers to him the "winter wife"<--------I dont share that often!!
Sledding is just in our blood and I dont see it leaving. The "none rider" people just dont get that feelilng we get, they really just dont know how a GREAT day of sledding feels and the fun with our friends afterwords. I feel for you on the sharing thing but some people JUST dont have it like we do. This doesnt mean you cant be together though...this just may be one thing you dont do together thats all.

Sorry for butting in here but your post really hits home with me....good luck.

Last edited:
P
Oct 13, 2009
Castlegar, BC
Thanks for stepping over to this side to share... I agree that we all need our own activities, but it's quite a bit different being a woman in a male-dominated sport. No too many guys would put up with their old lady spending long days with a bunch of dudes. And sorry to say, but not all of them are gentlemen.

There are a lot more female riders now, but it is really tough to find girls to ride with. Most refuse to ride without their husbands/boyfriends.

I definitely don't think it's selfish to want to ride if your partner doesn't but there still should be respect for the other person's feelings... I've seen a lot of relationships develop on the hill, some while the person was already in a relationship with someone else.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Thanks for stepping over to this side to share... I agree that we all need our own activities, but it's quite a bit different being a woman in a male-dominated sport. No too many guys would put up with their old lady spending long days with a bunch of dudes. And sorry to say, but not all of them are gentlemen.

There are a lot more female riders now, but it is really tough to find girls to ride with. Most refuse to ride without their husbands/boyfriends.

I definitely don't think it's selfish to want to ride if your partner doesn't but there still should be respect for the other person's feelings... I've seen a lot of relationships develop on the hill, some while the person was already in a relationship with someone else.
I agree pilot...mine wouldnt hardly ever ride...and then she figured out..hey while hubby is out sleddin..hey I can go bar hopping....it takes a special relationship on boths part to be able to handle seperate hobbies, especially one as expensive and time consuming as sleddin.......

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Curiosity is killing me... did you mean to leave out "WITH"??? lmao :face-icon-small-sho
I figured everyone could figure out for them selves if it should be in there or not....
PS....mainly just givin Kara a hard time cause she always misses out on our good rides..like at MP131 a couple years ago..she was late to show up..missed a great deep day of freshies....

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
HI

PM Dogmeat. He's been in love with you for some time now.

Premium Features