• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MPI Supercharger Pulley Failure

C

constech

Dec 31, 2010
Payson, UT
Mpi Supercharger

I have a stage three Mpi supercharger, right now I have it pullied down so I have around 230 hp, but it is capable of 300+hp. The only thing I do not like is the stutter between mid and full throttle, they pretty much told me it is just the way it is with the gems unit and to fix it I would need to go with stand alone fuel injection, not sure I am ready to spend another $1200. Do the turbos have this same problem with there fuel injection controllers?

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
I have a stage three Mpi supercharger, right now I have it pullied down so I have around 230 hp, but it is capable of 300+hp. The only thing I do not like is the stutter between mid and full throttle, they pretty much told me it is just the way it is with the gems unit and to fix it I would need to go with stand alone fuel injection, not sure I am ready to spend another $1200. Do the turbos have this same problem with there fuel injection controllers?

yes they can have the same issue the stumble but on the turbo its usually right when the boost builds.

M
Jan 14, 2004
Lots of the turbos have a minor stumble, some don't (Impulse, Boost it), either way it becomes second nature learning how to drive/throttle around it after a while its a non issue IMO. I think its a bigger issue on the supers because of where they start to make the power and its harder to feather the throttle on and off without affecting your speed. Honestly I just don't see the attraction of a super they put all the weight on the sled right where you don't need it and they don't make all that much power, everyone I've dealt with has just been a giant pita the turbo kits out there now days are mostly all good and reliable, you really can't beat the MCX 240 kit for reliability, just turn the key and go.

M5

W

wilmot

Feb 3, 2010
Clearfield, UT
Do you need a head shim to run the MCX 240? What gas do you run? How is the install? Im thinking about going that route.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
i think you need to change your status. i dont think you are currently: loving your MPI supercharger.... :face-icon-small-con
he he he
Right now I don't know who's fault it is yet.
I hope on Monday my shop will be clear and I can jack up the sled and tear her down and find out what failed.

The last couple weeks have been CRAZY for me after getting back from Canada and I have had ZERO time to look under the hood.

While I was VERY disappointed at the failure, this is all part of the learning curve for me!

If your going to build a FULL MOD SLED, things are going to break and I will have to build up some kind of Pre/Post ride checklist to make sure everything is ready to rock and roll.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I had the same problem. After my first ride i was running my sled and checking it over and found the lock nut by the chain case. I added a little lock-tight and re-installed. So far so good. I like the MPI S/C but I need more POWER. Im trying to decide what turbo to install on my 2011 nytro. Not sure the 180-200hp is enough for me.
There should still be plenty more boost you can squeeze out of her yet.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I have a stage three Mpi supercharger, right now I have it pullied down so I have around 230 hp, but it is capable of 300+hp. The only thing I do not like is the stutter between mid and full throttle, they pretty much told me it is just the way it is with the gems unit and to fix it I would need to go with stand alone fuel injection
Stay Tuned for a possible new solution this summer.
My GEMS is coming off and a new prototype system is going in.

M
Jan 14, 2004
If your going to build a FULL MOD SLED, things are going to break and I will have to build up some kind of Pre/Post ride checklist to make sure everything is ready to rock and roll.

I'm sorry and I'm not trying to start a pi$$in match but that statement is flat out wrong. I know and ride with LOTS of guys besides myself who ride sleds WAY tricker than yours and its just add fuel, add oil once and a while and turn the key. There is absolutely no reason to be having all these failures and hassles, NONE. Everyone saw how slowly and carefully your sled was built so I don't think it was an install problem. Its all about shopping.

M5

W

wilmot

Feb 3, 2010
Clearfield, UT
I think MPI S/C is a good product. But i think i want at least 240hp turbo on my other sled. I want the power to keep building as you climb a shoot. I will defiantly
add more boost to my S/C sled. I want boost on my back up sled. Its no fun riding a stock sled:face-icon-small-sadafter riding boost.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I'm sorry and I'm not trying to start a pi$$in match but that statement is flat out wrong. I know and ride with LOTS of guys besides myself who ride sleds WAY tricker than yours and its just add fuel, add oil once and a while and turn the key. There is absolutely no reason to be having all these failures and hassles, NONE. Everyone saw how slowly and carefully your sled was built so I don't think it was an install problem. Its all about shopping.

M5

I hear ya.
I had hoped it would be bolt and go, but its not.
And in the process I have spoken with no small number of guys that have told me to just accept the fact that I WILL have to do MORE checking and MORE maintenance than before.

heck, even the MPI manual makes it EXPLICITLY CLEAR that some of the components must be checked Before or After EVERY SINGLE RIDE.

Right now I don't know WHY that bolt came off.
Honestly just don't know.

What I do know for sure is this.
We torque checked that nut just before I took the sled to Canada.
Maybe the nyloc failed for having been put on and taken back off too many times?
Maybe the bearing in the pulley failed and backed the nut off.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I think MPI S/C is a good product. But i think i want at least 240hp turbo on my other sled. I want the power to keep building as you climb a shoot. I will defiantly
add more boost to my S/C sled. I want boost on my back up sled. Its no fun riding a stock sled:face-icon-small-sadafter riding boost.

I am RIGHT THERE WITH YA.
Maybe I will do a turbo on my backup Nytro.
It was kinda sad getting off of Nytrocity and back on to a bone stock Nytro.

W

wilmot

Feb 3, 2010
Clearfield, UT
I am RIGHT THERE WITH YA.
Maybe I will do a turbo on my backup Nytro.
It was kinda sad getting off of Nytrocity and back on to a bone stock Nytro.

We need MCX to do a group buy on there 240hp Turbo. You bust out the camera and i will follow. When do we start?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Nylocs are good for one use for the most part... especially in critical areas... Nylock with a loctite ... better!

Live the simple life.... concentrate on one sled!

Could be as simple as that then.

And just think.
With all us NYTRO Owners, how boring would life be with a bone stock sled that never failed or had any issues at all.

Where's the fun in that?

smwizzz

Lifetime Membership
May 6, 2008
Ft McMurray, AB
Stand alone

The stand alone is worth it. It depends on the fuel system one already has as to how much better they are. I took off the adrenalin box and did a Boost It kit on my Nytro.... Freakin Awesome!!!

M
Jan 14, 2004
Like I said in a previous post its all about the shopping. IMO if you lay out 4 5 6 or 7 grand for a turbo or supercharger or whatever it better come with a fuel box that works. Its total BS to have to pay another grand plus to re do the fuelling. I mean REALLY? Sledders accept this as just a normal part of doing business with these companies? Give your head a shake.

There have been a zillion threads on this already but with the economy the way it is (this ain't 2007) if you can't thoroughly test your product and deliver it flawless then stay the Fawk out of the business cause you are destined to failure I don't care how good your service is. MCX is a gigantic company now and you as Joe blow turbo systems inc are going to compete, well probably not for more than a few years till you lose your shirt. Talk to Paul at Impulse, if turbos were his life blood he'd be broke already, he basically takes no money out of that company for himself, its not his only income. I build tons of stuff, I get pms all the time from guys wanting tunnels, but why would I do it, theres no money in it Thats just the way it is fellas the small guy is going the way of the dodo, your product better work on day 1 and still be working on day 100.

M5

Premium Features