• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

WR450 vs. YZ450 with Timbersled Kit

M

more snow

Jan 8, 2008
Nampa, ID
I have an 07 WR450 with the typical motor mods (I really need the electric start for my bum knee). Has anyone had much experience with the WR450 on the timbersled kit? Is there much difference compared to the YZ450 (which has the tighter gear ratio)?

Any comparison input would be greatly appreciate. Thanks.

Timbersled

Premium Member
Apr 22, 2008
a couple of Mountain Horse owners

if you contact me directly, I can give you information from 2 MH owners who have WR450's

dave @ timbersled.com

Robster

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Sweden
if you contact me directly, I can give you information from 2 MH owners who have WR450's

dave @ timbersled.com

We are several more people who want to know the answer to that question, so please reply here thanks!!

I myself have been using a YZ450F -05 this last season (before I hurt my knee that is) and I am not satisfied at all with the high 1st gear. When the riding gets really technical I cannot relax and have to be both afraid of the enginge dies and/or that the speed is uncontrollable. A lower 1st gear and electric start is my main objectives to switch to a wr450 instead. The wr engine is as a bonus not as "nervous" as the YZ and has better grunt and not as noisy as the YZ. On the negative side you loose some power though.

Any more things that I have been missing?

Rob

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
We are several more people who want to know the answer to that question, so please reply here thanks!!

I myself have been using a YZ450F -05 this last season (before I hurt my knee that is) and I am not satisfied at all with the high 1st gear. When the riding gets really technical I cannot relax and have to be both afraid of the enginge dies and/or that the speed is uncontrollable. A lower 1st gear and electric start is my main objectives to switch to a wr450 instead. The wr engine is as a bonus not as "nervous" as the YZ and has better grunt and not as noisy as the YZ. On the negative side you loose some power though.

Any more things that I have been missing?

Rob

Dave will give you the specifics from those two owners, but I have to say I totally understand your delima. The good news is, it is so different than technical dirt riding. You do not have the same problems. It is all smooth and very forgiving. You can let off the throttle and chug aroung anything, then roll it on and go.

Timbersled

Premium Member
Apr 22, 2008
WR450 feedback

I have sent a request to the 3 customers I have with WR450's. I will post any feedback I get from them.

Dave

Timbersled

Premium Member
Apr 22, 2008
some WR450 feedback

This is from a customer of ours.

I installed an FMF exhaust on it and it works pretty well. The YZF will still pull it but I have a headlight and handlebar warmers on and they don't. It will get to where they are going but sometimes you need to fall into their track and maybe carve a little more, but its still fun.

He is selling his bike and kit if anyone is interested. Let me know and I can get you his information.

dave @ timbersled.com

AkBob

Premium Member
Apr 3, 2008
WR 450 vs YZ450 feedback

I have a Timbersled Kit on a 2005 WR 450f and my buddy has the same on a 2005 YZ. The headlight and the e start is a definite bonus. My WR is " uncorked" and performs fine with the track kit. My bike is also much quieter which I prefer. The airbox is a bit easier on the WR to snowproof as it is not wide open on the top like the YZ. The performance difference in this application is immaterial IMO. I recommend that you contact JD JETTING for some guidance on getting your jetting right for your temps and elevation as stock jetting for either the YZ or the WR is a bit lean in any case and particularly so for winter use. Also, I recommend that you run ALL vent lines ( fuel and oil) into the airbox to avoid clogging. We ride at Sea level to 4500 ft..... performance will vary due to temps and altitude, but won't spoil your day. Once you have electric start, it is tough to go back.

M

more snow

Jan 8, 2008
Nampa, ID
Thanks to everyone for the valuable feedback so far.

Does anyone have any input/comments regarding the gear ratio performance differences between the WR (wide gear ratio) vs. the YZ (tigher gear ratio) for the timbersled kit? Thanks....

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Thanks to everyone for the valuable feedback so far.

Does anyone have any input/comments regarding the gear ratio performance differences between the WR (wide gear ratio) vs. the YZ (tigher gear ratio) for the timbersled kit? Thanks....

You will find that you spend most of your time in second. The YZ or other race bikes seem to be real good in second gear for tight, steep stuff and deep snow. Sometimes you're over reving a little. With the WR, that second gear will be a little taller and might work perfectly for you. There are always a lot of factors like rider weight, HP, etc.

Premium Features