• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ortovox 3+

B

bretton_s

Jul 22, 2010
Dawson Creek, BC
I would post this in the avalanche section, but no one goes there... :face-icon-small-ton

1283177903_124.jpg

Has anyone looked in the new Ortovox 3+ yet? It has some nice features (including automatically sensing up-down direction for better broadcast when buried, a nice multi-burial system, and what looks like an excellent system for pin-pointing the position). It is also smaller than almost every other beacon out there. More compact and lighter. It's about time we got some technology to boost these babys usability.

Here's a review if anyone's interested: http://www.tetonat.com/2010/01/winter-outdoor-retailerortovox-3/

I'm curious to know if anyone else is looking at these or has any experience. I belive it is not QUITE yet available but there seems to have been some pre-production units circulating late last spring (2010).

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
Just to let you know that review on tetonat.com was on a preproduction model. The final version is slightly smaller than a Tracker 2 and bigger than a Barryvox Pulse. It differs from the one in the tetonat.com photo, it is larger.

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
I use numerous beacons in my avalanche school including the S1 and D3. At this time I would stick with the S1 over the 3+.
I reviewed the 3+ on www.avalanche1tv.com. Mike Duffy

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
I'm hoping to get another 3+ from a local retailer to try. Just want to see if they both perform the same.

deschutes

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
Sorry to add to any confusion, but I have heard awesome initial reports on the 3+. The S1 may still be the granddaddy, but it is expensive and can be confusing for someone with limited experience. Ortovox is also reporting that the 3+ sales have been nothing short of amazing. I believe this is their new best seller.

Did you test a production model? The pre-production models had some limited functionality, by design. They were mostly made to get them out in the field for some initial feedback and thoughts, as well as to get people working with them. The production product is superior.

Beaconreviews.com is working on their review of the 3+, but their initial thoughts are:

"The 3+ underwent four hours of testing on October 15. The results were very solid. A preliminary review should appear within a month and a full review shortly there after."

I have always been impressed with the quality, and quantity, of information available at that site. I am looking forward to their full review.

As for personal experience with the 3+, I don't have any yet (mine are coming). However, the Ortovox 3+ beacon was the unanimous choice of professionals I have talked to that were able to work with all the gear at the recent International Symposium of Snow Science and Avalanche Practice in Squaw Valley. They felt that the range was excellent, it had superior multiple burial properties over the BCA's and such, was easy to use, had a great price point and just operated more "smoothly" than some of the others. It also has some cool new antenna technology that is not available in other beacons. One of my acquaintances is upgrading his entire fleet to the new 3+.

Take all this with a grain of salt. You need to figure out what works best for you. I am sure we will see glowing reviews and not-so-glowing reviews, I am just sharing some initial feedback I have heard. It is a new product, so who knows how popular opinion will eventually sway.

It is crucial that you are prepared by carrying some type of beacon. If you are looking for a new one, you should do your research and compare the various offerings from the different vendors and pick the one that you think fits you best. I would definitely include the Ortovox 3+ in the mix.

All this being said, you MUST practice with whatever beacon you choose. Statistics show that those that carry beacons (but have limited practice, knowledge and and experience) only fare slightly better than those that don't carry one at all. However, those that do (professionals) have recovery rates as high as 75%.

http://www.ortovox.com/avalanche-transceivers/three-plus

Last edited:
S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
It was a production model that was purchased online from a retailer. I to have agreed with www.beaconreviews.com. I always test beacons, get an impression and then check what beacon reviews has to say (in case I missed something). Why is it taking him a month to post the 3+ review?
I agree that practicing with whatever beacon you own is most important. Most people only practice one hour a year.
I'm just reporting how the 3+ worked for me. The range was 35 meters at best. I measured it.

B

bretton_s

Jul 22, 2010
Dawson Creek, BC
Thanks for letting us know. Interesting to get another view point. What I am bummed out about is the size. I was really looking forward to beacons moving to the next level as far as physical size goes. Too bad they didn't stick with the pre-production size which looks way smaller. Almost modern. Something they are way behind on IMO. It's 2010 people!

Anyone see any reason why it couldn't REALISTICALLY be put in a pack. I know the pack could be ripped off in theory -- any other reasons?

R

rmk8001

Oct 27, 2008
Thanks for letting us know. Interesting to get another view point. What I am bummed out about is the size. I was really looking forward to beacons moving to the next level as far as physical size goes. Too bad they didn't stick with the pre-production size which looks way smaller. Almost modern. Something they are way behind on IMO. It's 2010 people!

Anyone see any reason why it couldn't REALISTICALLY be put in a pack. I know the pack could be ripped off in theory -- any other reasons?

really? "I know the pack could be ripped off in theory" how about in real life yes i know its a "theory" how about NO! not in the pack glad i dont shred with you!

B

bretton_s

Jul 22, 2010
Dawson Creek, BC
really? "I know the pack could be ripped off in theory" how about in real life yes i know its a "theory" how about NO! not in the pack glad i dont shred with you!

Ouch man. Harsh... :eek:hwell:

My pack has staps that go across the chest to the other stap and is pretty hard to rip off -- much like a coat or beacon strap I would say. But I do understand it is a risk for sure. I don't do it, I just had that question in my head for a while. Could be a package thing like having all your safety gear in one unit -- air bags, shovel, beacon, probe, etc. Just wondering if it would transmit OK and stuff.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
HArsh but real.

Packs get ripped off. An avy pack, with metal buckles like a climbing harness & leg straps, sure... I could see it. You don't want to trust your life to a $.17 plastic buckle though.

There's a reason we put them under a layer, so that they're protected from being ripped off.

B

bretton_s

Jul 22, 2010
Dawson Creek, BC
Harsh, yes. Unecessary, yes. I said I don't wear it that way chico, so why say "I'm glad I don't shred with you"? It's not like this would endanger anyone else's lives... only the unfortunate wearer. Someone's frosties didn't quite turn out that morning I'd say.

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
I sent an email to Steve at www.beaconreviews.com. He is not seeing the same thing that I observed with the 3+. It appears that the 3+ that I used is acting differently than the majority of the other 3+ beacons that have been tested. I will try to find another 3+ to compare to. Steve tested numerous 3+ beacons, I only tested one. Anyone have any feedback from the ones they have purchased?

Premium Features