• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Reccomendations for Chest Protectors

4ftdeep

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I am looking at the TekVest off-road freestyle model. Any other suggestions for mountain riding?

K

kevsled59

Dec 13, 2007
Chest protector

Tekvest all the way. They protect you all the way around your chest.

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
My son just switched from the Tek to a Thor Impact Rig SE. He liked the Tek but said it pushed up too much when sitting or deep bent knees. He is really happy with the Thor so far, says the kidney support belt is a real plus on a long day. Might be worth a look.

I really like the Tek. EW.

T

Trenchmaster

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
My son just switched from the Tek to a Thor Impact Rig SE. He liked the Tek but said it pushed up too much when sitting or deep bent knees. He is really happy with the Thor so far, says the kidney support belt is a real plus on a long day. Might be worth a look.

I really like the Tek. EW.

I also use the Thor impact rig and like it, only problem I have is that it makes me sweat.

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
hm

to all you overspending tekvest wearers i broke my chest wearing one and now will only wear a hard plastic dirtbike chest protector. the tekvest is nice dont get me wrong it just does not protect against a force directed at your chest like a dirtbike one does

the dirtbike one there is a gap right where your sternum is (like one inch between center of your chest and where the plastic is molded to stick out and absorbe a hit and the only points of contact are all the way around your chest not in the middle at all. (the plastic will flex and absorbe the impact)

dont overspend on a chest protector theres no protection like hard energy absorbing plastic thats designed to take a blow, not just a sheet of ptex over some padding...

seriously will never wear anything but a hard plastic molded chest protector.

the tekvest is better then nothing and will stop you from getting stabbed by a stick or a small blow.

but with them handlebars right in front learn from me and just use a hard plastic on it will actaully prevent broken bones!!!

i did this about 4 years ago, and have hit my chest several times since with my motorcross chest protector i wear under my coat, and im telling you last weekend i bent my bars with my chest and didnt even knock the wind out of myself!!!

-Aksnopro

R
Nov 26, 2007
i did this about 4 years ago, and have hit my chest several times since with my motorcross chest protector i wear under my coat, and im telling you last weekend i bent my bars with my chest and didnt even knock the wind out of myself!!!

-Aksnopro

What brand and model MX style protector are your wearing?

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
http://www.bobscycle.com/browse.cfm/4,107638.html?AFF=690FGL

this isnt mine but its same concespt, as long as the padding is on the outside edge of the chest protector and will absorbe the hit evenly across your chest.

these protectors dont touch your chest in the middle only on the outside there will be padding there cheap and can be used with the 661 pressure suite

any local dirtbike, atv shop will have a hard plastic chest protector like this and most any brand, 661, fox, fly, all will be good.

oh i take off the arm pads that go down your arm, keep the ones on top your shoulders though. (if it has them they usually can be removed) the one in the link doesnt have the arm plastic protectors that i take off.

if you look at the chest protector in the link you will see the padding on the outside of the chest protector thats the contact points to your chest, nowhere in the middle does it touch your chest, making it energy absorbing for a blow to the chest.

-Aksnopro

Last edited:
Premium Features