• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Workouts/Routine's to stay in shape

A

aksnomachinechic

Nov 11, 2006
Gr8st Plce; ALASKA!
www.facebook.com
Soooo what do you ladies do to stay/get in shape for riding and or for your own wellbeing? Do you have a daily routine? Let's hear it ladies! :)

My routine for now until my husband changes his work schedule is:

Get up at 4am, get his breakfast/coffee made, send him off to work and then I usually go hit the treadmill/eliptical for 30 -45 min. At lunch time I run (not every day) 1- 3 mi depending on how much I do on the treadmill in the mornings. I alternate upper and lower body workouts with weights every other day but I always try to get in a cardio work out every day.

D
Oct 7, 2009
Washington
Some type of cardio every day--30-40 min., whether going to the gym or walking the dog (we live on a pretty steep hill so it's a decent workout).

Then three days of weights: lower body, chest & back, and arms/shoulders. I really did it up on chest & back this week...still a little sore!

D
Mar 24, 2008
Oregon
I started back at the gym a couple months ago after a long layoff (still paying my dues of course) and I've lost 22 of the 30 lbs I packed on drinking beer and riding around in a golf cart the last few years. Hopefully the lost weight will help me get my butt off the seat this winter! I go 4 days a week doing mostly cardio. I do work some weights in but my job in a meat department is fairly physical some days so I usually talk myself out of needing weight lifting although it would help in my job too. The worst part has been giving up beer with golf! It's tough to get in 18 holes with nothing but a couple bottles of water. I'd be lying if I said I gave beer up all together. I just don't drink it every day with dinner or golfing.

girlpowder

Premium Member
Mar 9, 2009
Utah, land of the FLUFF!!!
I started back at the gym a couple months ago after a long layoff (still paying my dues of course) and I've lost 22 of the 30 lbs I packed on drinking beer and riding around in a golf cart the last few years. Hopefully the lost weight will help me get my butt off the seat this winter! I go 4 days a week doing mostly cardio. I do work some weights in but my job in a meat department is fairly physical some days so I usually talk myself out of needing weight lifting although it would help in my job too. The worst part has been giving up beer with golf! It's tough to get in 18 holes with nothing but a couple bottles of water. I'd be lying if I said I gave beer up all together. I just don't drink it every day with dinner or golfing.

Question is... Did your golf game improve???:face-icon-small-hap

S
Dec 5, 2007
its called the 30 day shred by jillian michaels (trainer on biggest loser)

its cheap, the dvd is about $10 on amazon.

Its a 20-25 minute workout and it will kick you butt..........even if you think you are in shape, you will need a set of small hand weights, thats it! Has 3 levels and you progress as you feel ready.

The girls on my motorcycle board introduced me to it and its a killer if you don't cheat......I am currently on level 2 working my way to level 3.

A

aksnomachinechic

Nov 11, 2006
Gr8st Plce; ALASKA!
www.facebook.com

Diamond Congratulations Woman!! 22 lbs! that's AWESOME!! :) I understand about giving up the beer though - it is a great quencher especially on those fun weekends! :beer; :)

Sno - one of my girlfriends was just talking about her CD also - she said that her arms hurt so bad last week that is was almost impossible to raise them. Might have to check this out ;) thanks!! :beer;:)

D
Mar 24, 2008
Oregon
Question is... Did your golf game improve???:face-icon-small-hap

I wish! I did win 200.00 in a golf tourney this summer by hitting the ladies long drive on a certain hole. I did drink to celebrate after that!:beer;:( Although my hubby just handed me a hot chocolate with Baileys and Jack Daniels in it. I'm pretty sure a beer would have less calories!!

D
Mar 24, 2008
Oregon

its cheap, the dvd is about $10 on amazon.

Its a 20-25 minute workout and it will kick you butt..........even if you think you are in shape, you will need a set of small hand weights, thats it! Has 3 levels and you progress as you feel ready.

The girls on my motorcycle board introduced me to it and its a killer if you don't cheat......I am currently on level 2 working my way to level 3.

Think I'll check this out for non gym day!

During the summer we're always doing something active outside. Playing league softball two nights a week and softball tournaments on the weekends, riding horses, hiking etc. Still keep up with weight training a few days a week but the time in the gym gets pretty slack. Come October or so we start hammering the gym and working a lot on strength training to get ready for race season. Some cardio, usually elliptical or treadmill but lots of weights.

S

sled*dunk

Dec 3, 2007
Rock Springs, WY
Currently doing the Couch to 5K program. I'm not a runner/jogger! On week 4 right now. Weights 2-3 times a week is my goal, but been slacking. Need to kick in gear (on all of it).

girlpowder

Premium Member
Mar 9, 2009
Utah, land of the FLUFF!!!
I do Kegel's :D

tmi.gif

I think he was serious.....

http://www.urology.uci.edu/prostate/kegel.html

Last edited:
J
Hey ladies - this is my first venture into the powder room!
So here's what I do year round to stay strong and fit.. and ready to ride that sled!

3-5 mornings per week I'm in the gym at 7am doing 30 minutes either on the treadmill/eliptical/skipping/doing plyometrics. After the cardio I hit the weights for 30-45 minutes focussing on different muscle groups (I have some wicked routines if anyone is interested I will e-mail them to you!)

2-3 evenings per week I either go for a 30 minute outdoor run, do a 60 minute spin class or do a 90 minute hot yoga class (amazing class you have to try it!!).

I must also mention (not that this is new news to most of you I'm sure) that nutrition is 80% of how your body looks and strength training and cardio are only 10% of the equation. Almost ALL credible health professionals will tell you these statistics so eat well ladies! I really reccomend the BOOK The Eat Clean Diet it's a no-nonsense how-to guide and tells you a lot more than just what to eat!
Anyways I'm not certified but I'm very interested in the topic of health and fitness and if any of you ladies would like more info or tips feel free to PM me :) cheers and have a good season!!

H
Jun 25, 2009
Eagle River, AK
Hey ladies - this is my first venture into the powder room!
So here's what I do year round to stay strong and fit.. and ready to ride that sled!

3-5 mornings per week I'm in the gym at 7am doing 30 minutes either on the treadmill/eliptical/skipping/doing plyometrics. After the cardio I hit the weights for 30-45 minutes focussing on different muscle groups (I have some wicked routines if anyone is interested I will e-mail them to you!)

2-3 evenings per week I either go for a 30 minute outdoor run, do a 60 minute spin class or do a 90 minute hot yoga class (amazing class you have to try it!!).

I must also mention (not that this is new news to most of you I'm sure) that nutrition is 80% of how your body looks and strength training and cardio are only 10% of the equation. Almost ALL credible health professionals will tell you these statistics so eat well ladies! I really reccomend the BOOK The Eat Clean Diet it's a no-nonsense how-to guide and tells you a lot more than just what to eat! Anyways I'm not certified but I'm very interested in the topic of health and fitness and if any of you ladies would like more info or tips feel free to PM me :) cheers and have a good season!!

Thanks for the tip on the book.... I think us AK GURLS are off to a good start with our "6 weeks of pre-season tourture" (as I like to call it), and plan to continue well into the season. However, we aren't always eating as well as we could be... a book like this, may come in handy ESPECIALLY for me.

As a single mom, full time student and employee of somebody, I don't always feel like I have a ton of time to prepare the yummy completely "healthy" foods that I LOVE. Maybe there's a "quick cookbook" with meal ideas for people like me??

I believe it's key to protect your overall health by staying active and fit.... Especially for us crazy women riders! who aren't getting any younger. TeeHEE.

Although I don't really have any wait to lose, I have TONS of muscles that need to be toned.... Just a thought, maybe we can come up with some sort of "CHALLENGE" for a little extra motivation, Ladies?! ;)

J
Thanks for the tip on the book.... I think us AK GURLS are off to a good start with our "6 weeks of pre-season tourture" (as I like to call it), and plan to continue well into the season. However, we aren't always eating as well as we could be... a book like this, may come in handy ESPECIALLY for me.

As a single mom, full time student and employee of somebody, I don't always feel like I have a ton of time to prepare the yummy completely "healthy" foods that I LOVE. Maybe there's a "quick cookbook" with meal ideas for people like me??

I believe it's key to protect your overall health by staying active and fit.... Especially for us crazy women riders! who aren't getting any younger. TeeHEE.

Although I don't really have any wait to lose, I have TONS of muscles that need to be toned.... Just a thought, maybe we can come up with some sort of "CHALLENGE" for a little extra motivation, Ladies?! ;)

I know what you mean about having limited time to prepare meals as I work and am also a student. What I like to do is cook up big meals 2 or 3 nights per week so there is leftovers for the next 1 or 2 days for lunch and supper. My faves that are easy to prepare and easy to reheat: chicken fajitas, grilled chicken breast and vegis, stirfy, and even omlettes are easy to whip up in a pinch but full of goodness! We have to remember that muscle=protein so if we want to gain muscle we HAVE TO eat lean protein and hit the weights.
I'd be stoked to do a challenge with any ladies who are interested.. sounds fun! If there's enough interest lets plan it!

Premium Features