• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

wow, new format and sections

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
I definitely think it is different and that's ok but here is my one comment...

General Sled Discussions VS General Snowmobiling...

Whats the difference there?

sorry, but I don't get that...:eek::confused::eek:

Otherwise, everything else looks good:beer;

Agreed.

Im all for some positive change but think that one can go to.

Snorider

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 3, 2008
One bad thing from it is that my lines in the field are going to look like a preschooler coloring.

Also will we be able to keep the snowing and stuff turned off so we can still get our summertime crack from our phones?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Many of the new features that I will be adding over the coming months will be USER selectable.

So you will have the option of Enabling or Disabling them.

03rmking

Premium Member
Mar 4, 2004
Spokane, WA
www.509films.com
I think there are WAY too many sub forums under SnowMembers, IMO.

Calendar of Events - Great idea!
Forum rules - No one reads these, instead make them a sticky under general
New Member Instructions - Get rid of this and combine it into the rules sticky
New Member Introductions & New Member Testing - One in the same if you ask me and not really even needed. Throw them right into the mix (ie general).
Snowest Announcements - Who will read this? Perhaps a sticky would work well.
Suggestion Box & User Feedback - Again one in the same, combine them.

Also I would strongly recommend moving the SnowTalk section above the Snowmobiles section. I think it comes down to what gets the most attention and that is the SnowTalk section. So why is it way down the page?

Nothing worse for the health of a forum than sub-dividing it and having too many sub forums. Forums need to be fast moving, a few posts a day per section will actually turn people away.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
There are a pile of new forums in this section because we are going to need them.

While I have not posted a whole lot of content into them YET, as the mods are installed, these forums will get very busy with explanations of how these work, and a place for you to try/test them.

if in the end, I am wrong, I will ZAP them as needed.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Also I would strongly recommend moving the SnowTalk section above the Snowmobiles section. I think it comes down to what gets the most attention and that is the SnowTalk section. So why is it way down the page?.
The most read section on the forum is the SWAPMEET!

But the organization of the forums is NOT locked in stone.

For the next month or two the forums WILL be a constant state of change.

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
Too many subdivisons are going to make this site slow to cruise and turn people away.

S
Dec 29, 2001
Brainerd,MN
I spend some time on www.hardcoresledder.com and that site is an example of way too many forum titles. It's confusing , cluttered, and valuable info gets lost among similar sounding forum headings.

I agree w/others here about "general sled discussion, and general snowmobiling."
I think it was better before the change.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I agree w/others here about "general sled discussion, and general snowmobiling."

Just to be sure I understand you.
Your vote is to NOT have an area to discuss sleds that is NOT SPECIFIC to one brand or the other in the Sled Forums?

Your in favor of hardware discussions in the general chat area?

Please understand, I am not committed to it one way or the other at this point, I just wan't to make sure I understand what your suggesting?

S
Dec 29, 2001
Brainerd,MN
Your vote is to NOT have an area to discuss sleds that is NOT SPECIFIC to one brand or the other in the Sled Forums?

Please understand, I am not committed to it one way or the other at this point, I just wan't to make sure I understand what your suggesting?

Thats correct. For the 8 years I've been on here people talk about sleds in the general snowmobiling section. No big deal.
To have another similar sounding topic I don't think is any improvement.

Another observation, IMO "suggestion box" and "user feedback" nearly the same thing.

Last edited:
E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast
Please do not make this site like totally yamaha. Totolly yamaha has the sections seperated like whats been done to the doo section. At the least dont do it for the Yammi section its just to much. Stock, modified, turbo, supercharger. Just leave it as one.Makes for better reading all in one imo.:beer;

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Thats correct. For the 8 years I've been on here people talk about sleds in the general snowmobiling section. No big deal.
To have another similar sounding topic I don't think is any improvement.

Another observation, IMO "suggestion box" and "user feedback" nearly the same thing.

THANKS.
As for the Suggestion Box / Feedback.
You may well be right on that one.
Let me see if they are really used as envisioned or not, if not, I will combine them.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Please do not make this site like totally yamaha. Totolly yamaha has the sections seperated like whats been done to the doo section. At the least dont do it for the Yammi section its just to much. Stock, modified, turbo, supercharger. Just leave it as one.Makes for better reading all in one imo.:beer;
As you can see we are in the testing mode.

Leaving it as is, with 100% of everything related to a brand of sled in one huge hole, is not very efficient.

Given over 30,000 members, most will miss a ton of valuable information because it scrolls away far to fast.

We need a way of grouping similar topics together so people can FIND THEM.

The question is to what degree we pursue the "compartmentalization".

Right now you have 4,516 threads that all have "something" to do with yamahas with 41,781 replies all thrown together in one giant bin.

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO

As of now, I read most sections.

On the motorcycle sites that break every thing down, I read my specific model only and nothing else.

Add specific areas as requested or needed.

Keep up the good work. Some change won't hurt.:beer;

03rmking

Premium Member
Mar 4, 2004
Spokane, WA
www.509films.com
Do you consider it an ADVANTAGE or a DETRIMENT that all of the information is broken down to your specific model???

I would consider it a detriment personally. Simply because I tend to stay in forums that are relevant to me personally. For example I ride a M8, so I frequent the AC forum. If it was broke down further to M7, M8, M1000 I wouldn't read much about the 7s and 1000s, whereas now I do.

I think the search feature is more important than a robust subcategory system when it comes to finding specific relevant information. A simple generalized category system encourages conversations, while separating everything hinders it.

I only offer my opinions because Snowest is far and away the best snowmobile forum. Both as a sledder and as an advertiser nothing compares to Snowest and I hope it continues!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I only offer my opinions because Snowest is far and away the best snowmobile forum. Both as a sledder and as an advertiser nothing compares to Snowest and I hope it continues!
Make no mistake, we are listening.

Trying to find that balance between NO organization, and TOO much.

Somewhere in the middle is the sweetspot.

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
Do you consider it an ADVANTAGE or a DETRIMENT that all of the information is broken down to your specific model???

It's great to find the info quickly, but it takes a long time to scan over the other makes and models, plus the other sections.
Where now I can scan through all of Snowest fairly quickly.

I don't know anything on how the forums run, or what it takes to speed them up. I would say that anything that helps speed them up is a Advantage.

Premium Features