• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Grippers or powder pros???? What's better and why

J

Jooohan87

Aug 28, 2011
In trying to understand whats wrong with the original proclimb 7 skis.
I was crusing around to day on some flat areas just did som boondocking, but when I countersteer it feels very unpredictable, like it could at any time do a hard turn and throw me off. have anyone else noticed that?

And how can I make it to not be so unpredictable?

DDECKER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2013
CRAIG COLORADO
shock set up and skis help
face-icon-small-wink.gif

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
if you use the 12-16 proclimb rubbers and just cut the row of nubs on the bottom of the rubbers where they hit the rib on the ski you will not have problems. I have 2400 miles on a set and still look good. if you do squish one your out 11.00. out of 7 or more sleds with this set up we have only replaced one rubber and it was not in that bad of shape.

J
Aug 28, 2019
PNW
Just put some slp mohawks on my '16 Axys Rmk and its a night and day difference. The grippers would just push too much any time there was a few inches of snow when you couldn't carve the sled at lower speeds in trees. Even carving the sled in deeper snow- the sled wouldn't really want to carve towards the direction that you wanted to go without really putting it on edge aggressively. You shouldn't have to put the sled on edge just to make minor steering adjustments at lower speeds. And yes, my suspension is set up for boondocking...pretty soft all around.
These skis hold a sidehill with less effort, carve thru deep powder way better and with just a flick of the hips, float better and overall generally feel better. I mounted them in the forward position, and put wear bars with 3" carbide on them- no darting on firm snow, nice solid mounting plate that is way more durable that the stock ski mount, and just enough flex in the ski for a wide range of conditions. I didn't find that they were too wide either, the added width added a little more stability while on edge I thought. Seemed very predictable. Found them on ebay from a dealer for $430 including wear bars and shipping.

Premium Features