• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

trade 16 Evols for 18 shocks, float 3's or QS plus $$

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I've never cared for the Evols and don't need them, other than rear clicker is nice but I want to try the 18 shocks on my 16.
Straight trade for float 3's or extra for QS

eldereldo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 23, 2014
Fronts swap, I think front skid shock is same, didn’t they change the length of the rear skid shock for the 2018?

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Fronts swap, I think front skid shock is same, didn’t they change the length of the rear skid shock for the 2018?

Yep. 18 is a longer rear track shock. Need the 18 pull rod too.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
The biggest problem with the evols is the inconsistency. That makes it difficult to settle on a setting. I'm pretty sure the piston in the evol chamber doesn't always come to rest in the same place. Once you reach the evol pressure as the main chamber compresses, they're working in unison.....but like I said, pretty sure where it comes to rest varies which changes your main chamber pressure.

You can run them with zero pressure in the evol chamber and they get a lot more consistent. It basically makes the shock one big air chamber with only one moving part. I've done this and it is better. Kind of like the fett bros chambers people used to put on the original floats on the m-series sleds to get the shock to behave more linearly and not ramp up so hard.

The 18 floats are essentially one smaller air chamber. This gives them more ramp up, which with the falling suspension rate of these skids, is a good thing. The only way to get the evols to match that is to fill the evol chamber with suspension oil so that the evol piston can't move. You could also fine tune the ramp up at the end of the stroke by varying the oil volume. I haven't tried that yet on sled shocks but I've done it a ton with air shocks on mountain bikes. So yeah, according to me, you can...in theory. :D

Last edited:

ranger12

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2012
Dickinson ND
Finally Cat did some impressive marketing!! Especially if Wyo thinks he needs to try a set.

They knocked this stupid QS3 shock thing out of the park!!!

Everyone wants a 18 Cat with the QS3 shocks on it and rave about how good they are when they actually have not ridden a sled with them on yet.

On Facebook when the early build 18 came out I spoke out about how good the new Float 3's were compared to the previous shocks. I said that they were simple and worked very well with the new valving compared to the older shocks. Then I got an early build 18 Mtn Cat and after the first day of riding I posted what a pile of dog poo the new QS3 shocks were. "I had a EB Mtn Cat a couple days after the dealer meeting when they released it." I almost thought I was going to have to buy more guns and ammo to defend myself for such a horrific post. I can get into why I don't like the QS3 shocks later but if I rode a 153" I might like the lock out feature on the rear shock but I don't think so.

S
Nov 5, 2014
Finally Cat did some impressive marketing!! Especially if Wyo thinks he needs to try a set.

They knocked this stupid QS3 shock thing out of the park!!!

Everyone wants a 18 Cat with the QS3 shocks on it and rave about how good they are when they actually have not ridden a sled with them on yet.

On Facebook when the early build 18 came out I spoke out about how good the new Float 3's were compared to the previous shocks. I said that they were simple and worked very well with the new valving compared to the older shocks. Then I got an early build 18 Mtn Cat and after the first day of riding I posted what a pile of dog poo the new QS3 shocks were. "I had a EB Mtn Cat a couple days after the dealer meeting when they released it." I almost thought I was going to have to buy more guns and ammo to defend myself for such a horrific post. I can get into why I don't like the QS3 shocks later but if I rode a 153" I might like the lock out feature on the rear shock but I don't think so.
This I gotta hear.

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Just couldn't get the Evols on any 16 to act the way I want and it ous just added weight to me.
If I was a jumper I'd keep them, but for my style I'd take the qs or the 3s

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
love the evols for a stock equipment shock, my fronts have been set and forget going into 2 seasons now. Cats got the best suspension to date, y'all are picky!

ranger12

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2012
Dickinson ND
This I gotta hear.

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk
Quote:
<table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="10"><tbody><tr><td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset currentColor; border-image: none;"> Originally Posted by ranger12
I can get into why I don't like the QS3 shocks later
</td></tr></tbody></table>spill it

Let me start out by saying that I normally ride a considerable amount of non groomed trail to get back in where we ride. This is trail that is only as wide as the snowmobile and gets really whooped out.
The main problem that I have with the shocks is they are never set right. If the only thing you do is ride the trees and don't have to take any trail to get there you can get them setup very well. Once you think you have everything perfect for tree riding and come back out to the trail you will think you are on a 96 Powder Extreme and get bucked all over the place. Same goes the other way set them up so you can get down the whooped up trail and turn up into the trees and you will feel like you are back on that 96 Powder Extreme again.
This wouldn't be so bad if everyone in the group had the same identical sled and everyone knew that they had to stop and change their clicker settings before they did anything different. But I ride with all of the brands of sleds and when it takes 10 to 15 minutes to change the clickers every time you are going to do something different you are going to be the laughing stock of the group. You guys have probably only ridden your sleds in this nice dry powder that we have had and the clickers are pretty easy to change, but wait until the snow conditions change and you almost need a screw driver to get all the packed in snow out from around the clicker so you can get at it to adjust it or even remember where you had it so you know which way to turn it.
Right now I have everything where it is going to stay and I am done messing with the pressures and turning the darn clickers. My back end will bottom out every once and a while kind of hard the way I have them set but that is better than getting off and changing crap all the time.
I could keep going off about these shocks but I wont. After what a joy it was to ride the grey early build and then to get on the Mtn Cat what a disappointment it was. Maybe because of all the hype about the shocks and that they were the big selling point of the Mtn Cat. I would take a Early Build over the Mtn Cat any day and all day.

ranger12

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2012
Dickinson ND
Does the ER and the sno pro have the same shocks?

The Early Release grey sleds came with Fox Float 3's that have a different valving in them than previous years. From what I understand the model year 18 Sno Pros have these same shocks on them. I jump between my Mtn Cat and EB regularly throughout the day and prefer the EB shocks every time.

Premium Features