• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

18 mtn cat handling issues

F
Nov 5, 2017
Nevada
I just came off an 850X and an Axy's the prior year. I like my new Cat better than both of them, mine doesn't steer heavy at all. I'm running 90psi in my front shocks and I'm a 6 4" 240lb without gear on, advanced rider. Check your throttle maybe your only getting half throttle...:face-icon-small-ton

All jokes aside, the throttle butterflies on my cousins 17 mountain cat would not open up 100%. They would only open to make 3/4.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
All jokes aside, the throttle butterflies on my cousins 17 mountain cat would not open up 100%. They would only open to make 3/4.

under the hood the throttle cable has an adjustment nut by the front bumper. sounds like the dealer didn't set it up. make sure there is a credit card worth of slack on the throttle block end.

now back the the OP question.

eldereldo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 23, 2014
Right on.
Did you go down in pressure on your skis?

I am running 45 in my skis.
Clicker 2-3 on the trail.
Clicker 1-2 Alpine/Tree riding.
Clicker 1 powder

It will really roll up alot easier with more pressure in the center track shock and less in the skis.

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

If I drop my pressures that low I will bottom out the sled on any kind of big whoop. I weigh 190 kitted up. But I also ride with extra gas and usually skis or a board on a rack. So maybe 210+

Last edited:

eldereldo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 23, 2014
What about all the linkage in the steering shaft? That has to make it steer harder versus a straight shaft.

Naw, lift the front end off the ground and move the steering, it is almost effortless, if it isn’t, maybe one of the bushings is binding?

S
Nov 5, 2014
If I drop my pressures that low I will bottom out the sled on any kind of big whoop. I weigh 190 kitted up. But I also ride with extra gas and usually skis or a board on a rack. So maybe 210+
I'd go up a little bit maybe 50-55 PSI?

Use the clickers to prevent bottoming.

D
Nov 26, 2007
Anchorage, Ak
Quick question aside...

I have an early release Sno Pro with the Fox Float 3 shocks. I can seem to connect the pump onto the fitting of the shock sue to clearance with with the cowling / airbox. The air fitting is right at the top of the shock.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can remedy this situation? I tried turning the sled on its side to take pressure off the shock and still can't connect the pump to the shock.

Thanks!

S
Nov 5, 2014
Quick question aside...

I have an early release Sno Pro with the Fox Float 3 shocks. I can seem to connect the pump onto the fitting of the shock sue to clearance with with the cowling / airbox. The air fitting is right at the top of the shock.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can remedy this situation? I tried turning the sled on its side to take pressure off the shock and still can't connect the pump to the shock.

Thanks!
Flip the shock around.

eldereldo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 23, 2014
I have the clickers set to 2 all round, this is just riding in on the trail and going thru dips from stream crossings, doesn’t even register on the 2014, bottoms out on the MC. Might increase all of the pressures evenly and see if that takes care of it.

Premium Features