• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Picture and Meaurements for the Carl's Cycle Mod for Powder Pro Skis

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I was wondering if anyone would be willing to provide the dimensions on where and the best way to cut Powder Pro skis for those wanting to perform the Carl's Cycle mod?

I have a picture but, it's tough to tell where to start the cuts and how long and deep they should be.

Thanks in advance for any information you may have on the subject.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Here's a quote from Goingover copied from an earlier post.

"The regular PPs are good but are MUCH better off trail and when they have been modified (rear outer edge trimmed, for better side hilling and not so nasty agressive on down hills). Carls Cycle sells them modified for no charge but can be done easily at home. I ran both PPs and modified PPs on my modded Pol 900 159 and loved the modified PPs better. Tried standard PPs on my 07 Tm1000 and liked them, modified them and liked them much better. Just my .02"

I have also read several other posts talking about the attributes of doing this mod but, they were mainly on the Polaris side of the house.

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
Lee, you start rounding it right behind the spindle on the outer edges and go roughly 1" all the way to the end. A jigsaw works great!

Aaron

S
Jan 13, 2009
kelso washington
i was told

go flush with verticle on keel til you line up with rear bolt then radius outward
newmachine030.jpg
not best pic but if you zoom in you will see

A
Dec 13, 2007
Wasilla
Here are a few pics of mine. I used a skill saw for the straight cut and sawzall to finish out the radius. Finished edges with a sanding disc.
Make sure you mark it out with tape so you have a guide to follow.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Starting from the rear, I measured in 1-1/8" to 1-1/4" from the outside edge. I like to leave a small lip on the outside for strength rather than cutting it flush like some have mentioned.

attachment.php

Continue the cut straight forward to the rear wear bar stud, then start a gradual curve out and come out to the edge about 1" behind the mounting bolt pocket. Again, this leaves strength in the center of the ski.
attachment.php

The lip that is left is just under 1/4" but helps to keep the rear of the ski stonger than if you just cut it flush.
attachment.php

carls mod.JPG carls mod2.JPG carls mod3.JPG carls mod4.JPG carls mod 5.JPG

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
AKSNOWJUNKIE - not only did you provide exactly what I was looking for, you knocked it completely out of the park!

Very, very nice, I am printing your instructions now and heading to the shop!

If we had stickys on out forum this would be one of them.

Thanks again!

S
^ Actually, the M series section does have a sticky full of links to good posts like this. Stickies just don't show up if you "browse all". The mods have to add it.

Interesting. Basically, the idea seems to be to make it like a Polaris or doo sidehiller style ski, but only for the back half? I'd be curious to read more reviews.

F

Freeride1

Dec 13, 2007
New Hampshire
I did about half of this to my M7 and was playing around tring to do my Rassmusen impression. I couldn't get the sled to turn as much as I want up on edge so I cut all the way up the the spindle bolt and it definately tips the ski up and make it turn mor up on edge. I wish I had about 2 inches less sidecut though, it kinda hooks the tip up harder than I can handle sometimes.

PowerJoe

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
I put some 2" wide masking tape on the ski and then used a square and a marker to get a nice straight line.

I started flaring mine out at the rear wearbar stud. I also wouldn't go quite flush with the vertical wall. I think I went in about 1-1/4" from the outside edge and left about an 1/8" away from the vertical wall.

Used a scrolling jigsaw for the radius and it worked great but if you go too far towards the front the jigsaw will run into the spindle.

Haven't tested mine yet but I hope it helps because I wasn't completely happy running the skis in stock form.

Ricks 32

Premium Member
Aug 26, 2008
Idaho
I have a lot of miles on the powder pro's with the Carl's mod and the normal powder pro. I like both of them and I honestly can't tell a difference in deep snow. There is a (small) noticable difference when the snow set's up but this is the only condition that I can tell a difference.

I've been riding with the Carl's mod since '06 and there was no setbacks. I don't think you'll hurt anything by doing it.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I got a chance to mod my skis today. They looks fine.

The skis are made of some tough stuff.

I used a table saw to cut the long vertical cuts and a jigsaw to cut the short angled cut.

I would put a picture up but, they look just like everyone elses.

Now, I need to go and try them.

skibumm

Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2004
Utah
Here's a quote from Goingover copied from an earlier post.

"The regular PPs are good but are MUCH better off trail and when they have been modified (rear outer edge trimmed, for better side hilling and not so nasty agressive on down hills). Carls Cycle sells them modified for no charge but can be done easily at home. I ran both PPs and modified PPs on my modded Pol 900 159 and loved the modified PPs better. Tried standard PPs on my 07 Tm1000 and liked them, modified them and liked them much better. Just my .02"

I have also read several other posts talking about the attributes of doing this mod but, they were mainly on the Polaris side of the house.

Good feedback. Someone that actually noticed a difference and has tried the PP both ways. If Bret is doing it, that must be worth something....

owenb2

Lifetime Membership
Mar 8, 2010
wyo
When u pull the sled over to sidehill (countersteer) the outside back half of the ski has the most contact/drag. This mod reduces the drag, providing easier transitions from flat to one ski.

Premium Features