• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

P drive

T
Aug 8, 2011
So I came up with a p drive I plan to use on my old 800 etec. It appears that skidoo has 3 different arms and 3 different springs. The two sets of arms I have weigh the same at 55.5 grams. Additional weight is handled by the remaining arm/clicker setup and the large bolt you can stack weight under.

My question is, does anyone know if the aftermarket has different weight profiles and a spring selection yet? We will be needing it

BTW for those interested this is a slick design! Comes apart relatively easy, their load carrying bushing design is so much better than the old tra it's not even funny. Looks like there could be room for even longer bushings inside the clutch but it may not be needed. Take the guts out of the clutch and it is basically impossible to get any bind out of it while bench operating. Really reminds me of the first time playing with a paragon secondary on the bench, just a much smoother operating design.

Last edited:

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
Dale at Daltonindustries.com is working on variations of springs to fit in between the BRP ones.
He's also working on cam arms too - thats kinda his thang...

Im working on some profiles right now too - had the first ones in the hardness tester, early Sept. :face-icon-small-hap

Just waiting for snow and 850 to arrive.
The pDiddy is miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiint to work on. Love the large diameter and width bushings and c2c of them. Sheaves in parallel under full throttle will make lower sheave temperatures (just like that paragon you mentioned)

Last edited:
T
Aug 8, 2011
Sweet!! Ill call dalton..I need a ramp that bites hard initially and a low engagement spring to make the para setup work...if it acts like a p85 that is!!

Should be fun.

Joe, if you come up with an arm you feel is better for the mountain put me down for some.

Thanks!!

T
Aug 8, 2011
I talked to him. He said it would be a bit for arms and springs.

I ran the p drive on my 950 today on the grass. I put the low elevation spring and arm in it. Interesting clutch. It loads the bottom of the motor really well with this package but actually wants to under rev a bit on top.

I have high elevation stuff on the way to play with...but basically I am going to need springs and likely some arm profiles to make paragon work right.

I would have bet I had an issue keeping initial rpm in check with the lighter clutch. However, drive seems to do a great job of holding the belt and shifting. It certainly will out perform the tra with a bit of tuning.

soul!

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2008
vancouver island
any version out there that will accept a ring gear
my 880 is high compression and a bitch to start and want to keep electric if possible but love the idea of using the new p drive clutch

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Interesting clutch. It loads the bottom of the motor really well with this package but actually wants to under rev a bit on top.

That what we found on the demonstrator , did not hold revs on top sucked the rpm down on any extended pulls in deep pow -- hope Joey can fix that

T
Aug 8, 2011
Ya that seems to be the trend with the clutch so far. Went to a spring with more rate per inch. That helped, summit arms helped. But, still tends to lose some rpm up in a hill Atleast in real heavy snow.

Lots of learning to be done

But, the clutch grabs the belt well, makes track speed quick and it's weight reduction is noticeable.

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
Interesting clutch. It loads the bottom of the motor really well with this package but actually wants to under rev a bit on top.

That what we found on the demonstrator , did not hold revs on top sucked the rpm down on any extended pulls in deep pow -- hope Joey can fix that

Ive got gopro vids from guys who ran the 850 and they could...
1] make the engine lug down to 7400 rpms, yes recover
2] in certain small climbs, changing lines, the engine keep 7900~7800 but listen to the "Whirl" of the track sound, fluctuating quite a bit, regardless of being at 7900~7800. When the skis lift the "Whirl" increases and then skis drop, "whirl" decreases. When carving hard full throttle engine maintain 7800~7900 but "whirl" lowers quite a bit, straighten out and 7900 and "whirl" increases.

To me its the amount of track speed loss in a severe load change whether it be on/off throttle or full throttle and a turn/carve or turn and go up and track whirl does not increase much - that the 850 summit is still doing.

soooo....i'll mess up the clutching with a hammer, nails and any other garbage I can throw at it as soon as possible.

Last edited:

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
hmm
I did one this spring on my 2014 800 summit (170 hp kit)...

RS arms (welded in engagement notch) so it engages at 4000 rpm...
24 grams additions weight...
170/300 spring...
click 1
44/40 helix, doo green

comes out at 7900 creeps to 8000 rpm and holds it till I let off on grass...

I have a set of SPI adjustable arms for this season, allows mid/tip weigh adj along with stock weight position-BJ

T
Aug 8, 2011
I was eying up the rs arms...quite a bit shorter so center of mass is lower on the arm. Could make quite a difference in shift curve?

John, how did that p drive setup perform compared to a good tra setup?

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
I was eying up the rs arms...quite a bit shorter so center of mass is lower on the arm. Could make quite a difference in shift curve?

John, how did that p drive setup perform compared to a good tra setup?

all I had was the RS so I just made doo...

will be changing to SPI or 850 arms for this snow season...

didnt doo anything scientific but it did impress the "butt o meter" and were NOT hot after several full pulls on grass (TRA would have been on fire)...BJ

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Heelclicker has a whole kit for the new clutch. I have a couple different sets from them. Just an option, don't know if or how they work

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
Unsure if it's on their site, but it was in their ad in the latest edition of Snow Tech

Goodwin has adjustable weights available now in 3 ranges. Unsure where to start at this point.

if it over revs add weight or lower clicker, the Pdrive works in ALL clicker positions vs the compromises required in the TRA clickers-BJ

Premium Features