• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Skidoo factory turbo 4tec

X
Nov 11, 2015
Hy guys,

i just got some secret Infos about a factory 4tec Turbo. BRP ist working since nearly 2 years on turbo engines for snowmobiles. Now they try to fit the new 900 ACE Turbo engine from the maverick x3 into the snowmobile chassis. finally there are some problems with the heat from the turbo components under the hood and plastics but i think they will solve the problems and we get an nice sled out there in near future.......:face-icon-small-coo

Idahodoo

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Pocatello Idaho
www.jcscutomvents.com
Hy guys,

i just got some secret Infos about a factory 4tec Turbo. BRP ist working since nearly 2 years on turbo engines for snowmobiles. Now they try to fit the new 900 ACE Turbo engine from the maverick x3 into the snowmobile chassis. finally there are some problems with the heat from the turbo components under the hood and plastics but i think they will solve the problems and we get an nice sled out there in near future.......:face-icon-small-coo

Cooling Vents & a BlowHole

N

nuttyn01

Dec 3, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
900 ace

The 900 ace is a pretty compact little 4 stroke motor with wicked throttle response....We have definitely put it through its paces in the spark hull and it handles everything we have thrown at it. There is likely still a market for it East of minnneeessssoootttaa.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
My close friend bought a 1200 expedition and hated the weight. So he thought the 900 would be a better choice.. wrong.. he says he wishes he kept the 1200. Both are impossible to handle off trail so he says he'd take the extra power before the 20lbs lighter 900.. Maybe a turbo 900 would be ideal in that situation but it will never out sell the 800 or 850.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Now that Yamaha has committed to full factory performance turbos on their Sidewinder/Viper, it should come as no surprise at all that the other 4 stroke manufacturers will also offer up such a sled.

Having ridden 4 stroke my entire sledding life, they are PLENTY interesting.
Yes, they are HEAVY, no ands, ifs or butts about it.

But if the powers that be really did bring the "Right" 4 stroke engine into play, which NONE of them have ever done, it is entirely possible you could build quite the 4S Mountain Sled. It can be done, but none have chosen to do so for a wide range of reasons.

My guess, is the only way that ever comes to pass is that the EPA slowly forces the 2S out of existence and the manufacturers are left with NO ALTERNATIVE but to bring the very best technology and innovation to the 4S segment.

Even with the weight, climbing up the side of a mountain with 275 ponies between your legs is NOT something you will soon forget!

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Enjoy the 2S's while you can, they will be legislated out of existence, perhaps in the US first, sooner (if the dem's take the WH) than later. If the 850 delivers on the marketed durability for a high performance 2S (by today's standards, not 10 years ago), you may have the best of both worlds, for awhile.

Considering AC has offered an OEM turbo for years, and Poo doesn't have a 4S, the 'rest' of the 4S industry is Doo. It's just a matter of time, and demand. The sled market has shrunk in unit sales so much over the past 15 years, there has to be some demand (or legislation) for them to make this happen.

Rotax_Kid

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Regina, SK
The 900 ACE isnt the answer. I've had two motors apart and built one with boost a year ago. The internals are not as heavy as a 1200 or even a Nytro IMO. What that motor has going for it is its 28lbs lighter than a 1200. Even with comparable horsepower in a low boost setup for the 1200 the torque isnt there. I went back and forth this spring on building another boosted 1200 and still may this year yet..that setup works so well despite the weight, but I get worried about spending money on a outdated platform that is due for change soon.

Premium Features