• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MCXpress SideWinder Upgrade Kit

S

Shred4Ever

Nov 2, 2013
It's intriguing "If you don't have to touch motor such as head studs or shim"..... Otherwise not interested.

I suspect this will be announced shortly for consumers to decide if it's worth snow checking!!

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
This should be as easy as an ECU re flash if that is possible. Raise the boost a few pounds and should be able to do around 220 hp. I doubt if you can go big power without doing motor work.

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
This should be as easy as an ECU re flash if that is possible. Raise the boost a few pounds and should be able to do around 220 hp. I doubt if you can go big power without doing motor work.

It might be possible with this motor to go bigger. I read somewhere in the release that the motor had been lowered to 9:1 compression ratio. That leaves a lot more room to bump the boost up than with a motor that is set up for N/A so the motor is a higher compression motor.

I just really wish this motor had come out a while ago. I am interested to see how a factory turbo rides. No matter how good an aftermarket kit is it just isn't the same as a well designed factory setup.

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
Small turbo? No problem...

I think one problem is going to be the little turbo. Similar to the Cat 1100t.
Fear not Prairie Dog, I'm sure Evolution Powersports will offer a "Big Chute" turbo kit for the IHI turbo in the Yamaha if they can get it to fit, and the motor holds together. If not, I'll keep riding my 1100T w/ BC kit, too, and still might - "Oprah" has lost about 60 lbs since I picked it up from my dealer, and gained 100 hp. Seriously considering looking for a 2015-2016 holdover just to park in the garage in case I wreck her...

Prairie Dog

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Beautiful BC
I get what you're saying but if that's the case why not just buy a Viper and put an Mcx, Boost it, or Evo kit?? Price would be hell of a lot cheaper

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
I hear you...

I see what you're getting at with the Viper / adding the EVO / MCX / MPI kits. However, if you are remotely decent with tools, installing a big chute kit on an 1100T is relatively simple, and I don't see it being much of an issue on the Sidewinder due to turbo placement, it should actually be easier yet. The benefit of starting with the Sidewinder? 1st, you have NO piggyback fuel controller assuming the aftermarket comes out with a reflash - this alone seals the deal for me if I was building one. Secondly, the Viper uses a radiator with it's cooling system - deleting it costs a bunch of $$$. To boost a Viper with anything more then 200 hp, you should be thinking of adding a head shim to reduce compression, and even larger hp numbers should have rods / pistons, whereas the turbo built engine has a lower compression ratio - might need head studs to run 250 + hp reliably though...
The other issue that has arisen is the 2016 Viper connecting rods are failing past 190 hp. If that's all you want for hp, then it isn't a problem. BUT... pretty sure that 220 hp will be possible with an ECM reflash & exhaust on a Sidewinder for minimal cost, and more hp will be available with replacement of hard parts and software tuning.
It is speculation at this point as to what the aftermarket may bring to the table - personally I'll ride my BC M1100T for another season. But... if the Yamaha is proving it's worth at the end of the season and it is a viable alternative to build from, I'll likely be on a Sidewinder (or Cat version if they build it) for 2018.

Premium Features