• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SNOWEST IS GETTING GREATY

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
Wow this is like a debate between repubs and libs, Libs looking for entitlements and repubs paying so the libs can have their entitlements. Just the way im seeing it. Keep payin my Taxes so libs can have all their free programs...Your welcome to those that think things should just be free,and people should work for free so that you can have what you want. If you would like you can figure that the cost of being on here you also get to view the snowest mags and past copies in case you missed them also....Quit pissing and moening and just pay the subcription. life is good.

hmmm..no offense intended here bud...but i just suggest ya climb up to the third floor because the intent of the thread just seems to be a bit over your head right now...the pay or not pay issues have gone up in smoke in a fire long put out...now its just going through the rubble now to see the casulties and damage ..and determine if the cement foundation will be ok to rebuild on... and if so ..do or will enough of the family of the home want to move back in..

Snow Duck

The Great and Mighty SnowDuck
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Aug 27, 2009
Kuna Idaho to Elk City Idaho..
are they really greaty or are we

Maybe lots of things are in the works at this time but i do not see a magic wand being waved an poof every thing is better or lots of new stuff...i have asked for a new form with a few other guys and it sounds promising. it will take time to program i am sure

all it took was a hand full of guys bashing and a few to start a new site and wow how the grass is greener over the fence but the animals will allways find a way home over time....

Last edited:
P
Dec 7, 2007
Mill Creek, WA
Well, it's been a few days since I visited, and not much has changed.:face-icon-small-dis

AK and Backcountry, along with Slick, M8 and Ron (and a few others) are still trying to get Christopher to recognize (and admit that he does) that SW has lost lots of good contributors.

Christopher seems to have gone into 'lurker' mode (no recent replies, following a threat to quit the thread), but somehow, he seems to consider a 'lurker' as someone who is an active member, so, in a way, I'm sure he's still "an active part of this thread".

Some guy with Fireman in his screen name didn't seem to read the whole thread and I think he kinda missed the main point, and Ruffy, well, I still can't make sense of Ruffy, I can't remember the last post I read of his that actually contributed something, so I'm guessing he just likes to try to piss people off.

Christopher, if you're still reading this, we keep trying. We keep trying to help you understand where the membership's perspective is. And, you just haven't been around long enough to understand. And, when someone tries to genuinely, and kindly explain where the community spirit of this place came from, and how it got here, you don't seem to want to embrace it, but rather change it.

This is a forum. And, like most socially interactive activities, there going to be personality 'issues'; some positive, some negative, some neutral. There will be squabbles, arguments, introductions made, friendships built and ended, cliques, discussions, education, and entertainment, just to name a few of the details of a situation like this. The common value that unites people here is sledding. Sledding does NOT have an inherit value system of personal conduct (like a faith-based forum for example). This means you will have different value systems for personal conduct.

When you start charging for your products or services (and this is both), YOU ARE ACCOUNTABLE to those paying for such. There have been paying members that have asked direct questions, and done so with respect and kindness in their keystrokes, and they have not been answered with direct answers, and some have been met with sarcastic replies.

Is $10/ year a fair deal to have access to this site (the way it WAS), in order to facilitate keeping it up and running? YES! Undeniably, YES. But, that comes with an obligation to be forthright (and even polite) with your paying members, which, you have not been. And, for that matter, DeepDiver made a great point, that your 'silence' may be directed by someone with higher financial authority than you. If that is in fact what is happening, those in charge are making a poor decision, and it will bite them in the behind, as this site continues to struggle, - and I suspect ultimately fail - if they continue down that chosen path. If your hand is being forced in that matter, as the 'face' (or keyboard) of that person or organization, you should appeal to them to do the right thing, and adjust their attitude and policies accordingly. Either that, or resign. Christopher, you occupy a difficult position, and I recognize that. It's actually simple capitalism: if your product value falls below the product cost, those buying will cease to buy, and your organization will ultimately fail.

I'm going to share a very personal example in hopes that you will take it to heart, and maybe learn and grow from it personally. I love my dad, but he can be difficult to get along with. His nature is one of being a manipulator, and a user, and as such he has a hard time sustaining friendships. He can be very charismatic and charming when it suits his needs, but that fades. He has a pattern of saying or writing hurtful things, or statements that are inappropriate or not very nice. And, when someone calls him on it, he backpedals and claims "I was just kidding, you know that". Sometimes, there is even an "I'm sorry" in there. At first, you can accept that, but after a bit of time, you come to realize he wasn't kidding, but he uses that method to try to cover for poor behavior. But his pattern doesn't change, and it drives quality people away.

Just to be perfectly clear Christopher, I do not know you well enough to accuse you of manipulative, or userous behavior (but that also means I don't know you well enough to defend you against such accusations).

Christopher, I have read, and re-read several posts in several threads where you have been sarcastic with members. When you have the role that you have in this community, that is a dangerous behavior to exhibit. It drives people away. In a previous post, I brought up that we ALL (myself included) would be wise to be very careful how we write things, as we loose vocal inflection, body language and facial expressions when our thoughts are put into letters, not spoken as words. Last fall, I posted something that was poorly written in haste, and as such, my meaning was easily misunderstood, and potentially damaging to a vendor's reputation. Fortunately, it was brought to my attention quickly, and I was able to delete the post, and then post a public apology for any misunderstanding I created. I put a lot more thought into the wording on that post, and it was my error entirely.

Christopher, I would like for SnoWest to return to the quality site it once was. And, I certainly don't mind paying $10/year for the membership. This is an example of how we vote with our dollars. I won't vote 'for' this site with the current condition, or attitude. And seeing as how it was once in a state/condition where I would have gladly supported it, (I never noticed the 'donate' button, nor was I aware funds were needed) and since your arrival it has degenerated into a place that I would not support, I'm not inclined to give you $10 on faith and promises of future developments.

I could be peeing into the wind here, but it wouldn't be the first, and likely won't be the last time.

PE

Last edited:

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
We fully understood that things were going to get "Very Hot" when the transition occurred and that we would loose some members over it. That was clear to us from mid-October when the discussion of moving to a paid format first got ugly. We have no secret plans on going after those that chose to leave..

AK and Backcountry, along with Slick, M8 and Ron (and a few others) are still trying to get Christopher to recognize (and admit that he does) that SW has lost lots of good contributors.
See the above. Seems this has already been covered.... and covered... or is this whole thing about him using some and you guys using lots?

Ruffy, well, I still can't make sense of Ruffy, I can't remember the last post I read of his that actually contributed something, so I'm guessing he just likes to try to piss people off.
maybe you need to read more? Why do you take a person having a different point of view as pissing people off? Seems there are a lot of people on forums that can't handle the fact that there are people out there that don't agree with them, and get upset about it. Seems silly to me, but many things in the messed up world do to.. so maybe it is me?

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
Seems there are a lot of people on forums that can't handle the fact that there are people out there that don't agree with them, ?

thats why alters are so important...its make a person somewhat self supporting..independant...it helps deflect and weaken other impressions of issues...so i really have not quite figured out yet why i created the alter "ruffryder" when i have him/me generally bring up opposing agruments or views...??..just maybe its a split personality issue...hmmm...i will be back...but who will i be..??

dragonflats

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
st. james mn
I know this is off subject a little, I was reading a thread that I was interested in and reached the basic member road block. Should I be angry that I can't read the rest or happy that for 10.00 a year I could read the rest. Does this get people to pay or does it anger them to not pay even more. point to ponder

Snow Duck

The Great and Mighty SnowDuck
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Aug 27, 2009
Kuna Idaho to Elk City Idaho..
i still think we are the greaty

I know the pay thingy is not what this thread is about...

most other sites like doo talk and sleds west have a pay to upgrade also to acess more stuff...so as a non paid member to snowest you still can acess most of the posts till they hit 75 ect. so start a new thread as a part 2 and keep reading and posting...it is spring and most of us have dropped off and looking to move on to summer things so dont say the peeps have dropped and are moving on.....sooner or later like i have prev. posted the grass is going to dry up over there too!! so be looking to buy the fertalizer to get the grass to regreen again on those sites....

I am done with this now, this thread is wasting my time... i am going to read threads and try to help other peeps myself....and keep snowest alive by adding my 2 cents where i can...and no i am not a pro or a factory guy but i am at least trying to help others, and make it a better site..instead of b/s trash talking it and the ones that run it...

I have sold many parts here and made many friends so snowest does not owe me anything as i see it we are all greaty by not acepting these changes

OVER AND OUT...

Last edited:

dragonflats

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
st. james mn
hmmm...

I thought this thread was on ideas to keep people at this site, get them more active, and maybe pay to upgrade to a better membership. My point to ponder wasn't " pay or no pay " it was, when a basic member bumps into a thread that goes past a basic membership, does that basic member....

1. pay to upgrade membership
2. start a new thread and go around paying
3. do nothing and keep reading and posting when they can
4. get upset and leave sw

I am a basic member and plan to stay that way. Joined in 02 I think.

I think the basic members willing to pay for upgrade will, no matter what the post count is.

I think most basic members will do #2 or #3

I think some basic members will do #4

My thought was... If SW goes to open posting and reading it may keep the basic members that would do [ #2, #3, or #4 ] more active, keeping them around longer, and maybe just maybe get them to go #1.

Last edited:
Premium Features