• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

voltage regulator

D
Dec 9, 2007
i have a 2000 500 rmk that seems to have a voltage problem. when it is started the head light is very dim. after about 5 min the voltage reg gets pretty warm to the touch and glows and the lights get bright like they are supposed to be. it flickers on and off a couple times then finally stays on. the lead coming out of the top of the reg is very warm to hot to the touch, enough so the insulation on the solderless conector gets very soft.

any ideas or experiences with this? any help would be greatly appreciated

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Yea, sounds like the reg is going bad.

But the Cat 2 wire one and wire it in... it's a better regulator and costs about 1/2 of the Polaris POS.

sled_guy

M
Jun 15, 2009
Marshfield, WI.
I would go through all your wiring connectors and chech for corosin and poor conection sounds like a bad conection somewhere . Then if all is good and yourproblme remains try a new reg they are not to expencive. Be sure to check all your grounds real good

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
The newer polaris regulators, from like 98 on or so, glow when the machine is on right by where the wire goes in.

Bad regulator as I said in my first response. I've seen the dim light thing lots of times with bad regulators. It will continue being dim for a while then one day it will fry completely and the lights will all go super bright and burn out.

Change the regulator.

sled_guy

D
Feb 27, 2008
the newer polaris regulators, from like 98 on or so, glow when the machine is on right by where the wire goes in.

Bad regulator as i said in my first response. I've seen the dim light thing lots of times with bad regulators. It will continue being dim for a while then one day it will fry completely and the lights will all go super bright and burn out.

Change the regulator.

Sled_guy

x2 :d

J

JustinB

Dec 21, 2008
I know It might be dumb but my sled does this as well lights stay very very dim even when revved up. Anyway where is the voltage regulator and if mine is that Sled_guy where can I pick a a cat 2 as you suggested around here?

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
I know It might be dumb but my sled does this as well lights stay very very dim even when revved up. Anyway where is the voltage regulator and if mine is that Sled_guy where can I pick a a cat 2 as you suggested around here?

On a 2000 RMK it is located under the hood right above your right foot. It is the little black box with a couple of wires connected to it in the pic below. Just pick up a new regulator from your local Polaris shop and spend 5 minutes top to swap it out.

DSC_0059.jpg

Premium Features