For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Ski-Doo: TURBO Turbo discussion for Ski-Doo aftermarket turbo sleds

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2018, 08:15 PM
Currently: Not set.
Basic Member
Mulee has a reputation beyond reputeMulee has a reputation beyond reputeMulee has a reputation beyond reputeMulee has a reputation beyond reputeMulee has a reputation beyond reputeMulee has a reputation beyond reputeMulee has a reputation beyond reputeMulee has a reputation beyond reputeMulee has a reputation beyond reputeMulee has a reputation beyond reputeMulee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Advice to a first time turbo owner

Recently installed my first ever turbo, redline turbo on my XM and am searching for advice on anything and everything that will assist me in dialing in the turbo before snowfall, preventative maintenance and things to look out for.

Currently today I finished the full install, and ran a pre filter over the charge tube without the hood to test it. I’ve spoken to Dave with redline about what weights to run for 8psi boost, and I believe I have achieved that based on a couple test runs on the dirt before an increase in engine temp.

Besides watching my boost and AFR gauge is there much else a guy can do on the dirt to verify proper install/functionality of the turbo? As well as what should I be looking for as an AFR number?

Thanks in advance

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mulee For This Useful Post:
christopher (10-09-2018), kanedog (10-08-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 01:44 PM
Chadly has disabled reputation

My best advice would be go buy another sled so you have something to ride when your turbo doesn't run right 70% of the time

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following User Says Thank You to Chadly For This Useful Post:
christopher (10-09-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 02:34 PM
Currently: Husky Powered, Woof Woof
Thanked 16,479 Times in 7,906 Posts
christopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadly View Post
My best advice would be go buy another sled so you have something to ride when your turbo doesn't run right 70% of the time
OUCH
That was kinda harsh.

But what you are saying might be more true than not given the age of his sled and the turbo he chose.

Older Turbo 2 strokes can be HIGHLY problematic.
Having a spare sled is NOT a horrible idea.

Having said that.
I have had several boosted sleds over the last 9 years, and for the most part had very few minor issues with them. Its really all about the TURBO KIT you select and how well you install it.

BOOST GAUGE and an AFR GAUGE will be life and death for the longevity of your motor! Pay lots of attention to that AFR Gauge!!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 10-09-2018, 03:02 PM
Currently: Undefeated Mountain Clutching Champ of the World!
kanedog has a reputation beyond reputekanedog has a reputation beyond reputekanedog has a reputation beyond reputekanedog has a reputation beyond reputekanedog has a reputation beyond reputekanedog has a reputation beyond reputekanedog has a reputation beyond reputekanedog has a reputation beyond reputekanedog has a reputation beyond reputekanedog has a reputation beyond reputekanedog has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

When a sledhead owns a turbo, it is a good idea to operate on a two sled system.
The major reason is that some Turbo/engine repair parts are not always in stock so this can cause a no sled sitch for 2-30days depending on what u need.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 10-09-2018, 05:43 PM
Currently: Keyboard highmarking at its best.
jim has a reputation beyond reputejim has a reputation beyond reputejim has a reputation beyond reputejim has a reputation beyond reputejim has a reputation beyond reputejim has a reputation beyond reputejim has a reputation beyond reputejim has a reputation beyond reputejim has a reputation beyond reputejim has a reputation beyond reputejim has a reputation beyond repute

My biggest challenges have been boost sealing and auxiliary/turbo wire-run chaffing. Both are preventable. Check clamps regularly...tighten before each ride...they can loosen up and once you blow the seal, it's tough to get it to hold again day of riding...must be clean. And the wiring thing...I have avoided several ruined days by checking wire runs and making sure nothing is rubbing away to ground out the wire and kill your day. Carefully protect any wire runs with wire covers.

Last little thing...boost signal tubes fail. Have spares on-hand. Have spare clamp(s) on hand.

I have 2009 M8 turbo. One of the more reliable sleds I've had. But I have avoided some lost days by pre-inspection as above.

One last thing...consider a screen on the intake to the turbo...this has saved me from a wrecked turbo...stuff finds its way into that big suction tube.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:05 PM
Basic Member
Mulee has a reputation beyond reputeMulee has a reputation beyond reputeMulee has a reputation beyond reputeMulee has a reputation beyond reputeMulee has a reputation beyond reputeMulee has a reputation beyond reputeMulee has a reputation beyond reputeMulee has a reputation beyond reputeMulee has a reputation beyond reputeMulee has a reputation beyond reputeMulee has a reputation beyond repute

Sled is a 16 summit 800 154”, turbo is a redline HO turbo with the G2 fuel controller. Heard redline has there fuel controller dialed in well, so that should help, what should I be looking at for AFR? 12.5-13ish?

Old 10-09-2018, 06:30 PM
jvb has a reputation beyond reputejvb has a reputation beyond reputejvb has a reputation beyond reputejvb has a reputation beyond reputejvb has a reputation beyond reputejvb has a reputation beyond reputejvb has a reputation beyond reputejvb has a reputation beyond reputejvb has a reputation beyond reputejvb has a reputation beyond reputejvb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadly View Post
Come on now not everyone has the same experience as you! Its probably more like 90% in your case though. Seriously have a back up sled if you can though.

Old 10-09-2018, 11:08 PM
Currently: Preparing to get a education in boost!
Backcountrypro has a reputation beyond reputeBackcountrypro has a reputation beyond reputeBackcountrypro has a reputation beyond reputeBackcountrypro has a reputation beyond reputeBackcountrypro has a reputation beyond reputeBackcountrypro has a reputation beyond reputeBackcountrypro has a reputation beyond reputeBackcountrypro has a reputation beyond reputeBackcountrypro has a reputation beyond reputeBackcountrypro has a reputation beyond reputeBackcountrypro has a reputation beyond repute

Id say do your homework, learn to test and tune and go have fun. Im still riding my 2012 Etec with Turbo Performance kit and it has been a great sled. I am also running the G2 controller. I was thinking of selling the sled this season but I just might ride it one more year......i like it that much.

Old 10-28-2018, 03:20 AM
Basic Member
xpturbo600 has a reputation beyond reputexpturbo600 has a reputation beyond reputexpturbo600 has a reputation beyond reputexpturbo600 has a reputation beyond reputexpturbo600 has a reputation beyond reputexpturbo600 has a reputation beyond reputexpturbo600 has a reputation beyond reputexpturbo600 has a reputation beyond reputexpturbo600 has a reputation beyond reputexpturbo600 has a reputation beyond reputexpturbo600 has a reputation beyond repute

Afr is based on what your sled likes. I would go rich and back off the fuel until it cleans up. Most sleds like 12.0 to 13.0. I know 13.0 at 12 psi seems lean, but that is where my 600T turbo is happiest without painting the snow with unburnt fuel. A 1000 cat turbo I tuned liked 11.8 to 12.0. A little extra fuel is good to reduce piston temps. Just don't run so much you blow unburnt fuel out the exhaust.

Old 10-28-2018, 02:04 PM
Currently: making Summits bettersince 1997
BIG JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeBIG JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeBIG JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeBIG JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeBIG JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeBIG JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeBIG JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeBIG JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeBIG JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeBIG JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeBIG JOHN has a reputation beyond repute
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BIG JOHN For This Useful Post:
PaulAnd (10-29-2018), turbo800 (02-19-2019), zaxxcmx925 (11-09-2018)
Old 02-16-2019, 12:10 PM
idahoskiguy has a reputation beyond reputeidahoskiguy has a reputation beyond reputeidahoskiguy has a reputation beyond reputeidahoskiguy has a reputation beyond reputeidahoskiguy has a reputation beyond reputeidahoskiguy has a reputation beyond reputeidahoskiguy has a reputation beyond reputeidahoskiguy has a reputation beyond reputeidahoskiguy has a reputation beyond reputeidahoskiguy has a reputation beyond reputeidahoskiguy has a reputation beyond repute
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

Old 03-16-2019, 07:35 AM
Basic Member
800turbo ptec is an unknown quantity at this point
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register