• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Engine failures

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
just remember gang, right now this is a 2 year motor package. the aftermarket was "just starting to help us". now most of them will abandon this platform,

please explain the aftermarket fixes needed, I'm a little lost on the bastard motor analogy. you sayin they are unreliable and won't make parts for them anymore?

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
Yeah, I'm a bit confused by this as well. He seems to be saying if the engine hadn't been updated the aftermarket would provide some kind of fix kit aka Polaris Pro fix kits? I have an '18 MC as well. Definitely the most fun engine I've owned. I don't mod much but the ctec mid range is just a lot of fun to ride. The reliability question is definitely a concern given the number of failures that I see on the forum and now the used market has a lot of "rebuilt motor" ads. How many fail due to water? Who knows. The primary reason I didn't buy a 2020 snowcheck is I can't see rewarding a mfg. that refuses to fix design flaws like the intake issue. It's just a crap design and wouldn't be hard for cat to fix. I don't get why they fail to address things like this that cost them money too.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Yeah, I'm a bit confused by this as well. He seems to be saying if the engine hadn't been updated the aftermarket would provide some kind of fix kit aka Polaris Pro fix kits? I have an '18 MC as well. Definitely the most fun engine I've owned. I don't mod much but the ctec mid range is just a lot of fun to ride. The reliability question is definitely a concern given the number of failures that I see on the forum and now the used market has a lot of "rebuilt motor" ads. How many fail due to water? Who knows. The primary reason I didn't buy a 2020 snowcheck is I can't see rewarding a mfg. that refuses to fix design flaws like the intake issue. It's just a crap design and wouldn't be hard for cat to fix. I don't get why they fail to address things like this that cost them money too.

Has the intake not been addressed for the 2020 redesign?

thump426er

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
West Koots
The reliability question is definitely a concern given the number of failures that I see on the forum and now the used market has a lot of "rebuilt motor" ads. How many fail due to water? Who knows.

I feel like there isn’t really that many failures, especially relative to other manufacturers (says the guy who had 2 blow within a week this year lol). My dealer had 8 with water ingestion related bearing failures (2 of them me) out of ~230 ctec sleds sold 18/19 (just over 3%). Only happening to the high mileage sponsored riders, save for a couple. Guy in my tight group has know his dealers service manager for 20 years, they haven’t had a single engine issue for a ctec in 18/19, not sure of how many sleds they sold but they service a population of 2.5 million people in the city. So say they sell the same as my dealer (only services a population of a ~130,000), add the 2 dealers together and now the % is just over 1.5%. And very few other dealers around this province had any issues that I could gather from various people who either know dealer owners or buy elsewhere. Not saying all dealers are open to letting that info out though.

Even the usual after ride discussions between all my sled friends and their friends of sleds blowing etc etc, the topic has generally been poo and doo issues, very few cats. Hell, just between me and one friend and the sledders we know, we knew of 17 850 axys sleds down by Xmas. But, generally there is more doos/poos on the hills than cats. Although this year was a ton of cats out there, I was shocked on one particular ride and in the roughly 16 sleds in the parking lot while I was there, was only one axys, and one doo. Haven’t seen that for a long time.

And using a few forums of threads to gauge failures probably represents such a small percentage of sleds out there it’s pretty insignificant. This thread a good example, how many ctec riders on snowest vs the small amount listed in the thread?

Just my opinion that the percentage of failures really isn’t that large and could be why it’s not enough to make a change. That being said,,,, there is the crank oiling change for 20......

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
I feel like there isn’t really that many failures, especially relative to other manufacturers (says the guy who had 2 blow within a week this year lol). My dealer had 8 with water ingestion related bearing failures (2 of them me) out of ~230 ctec sleds sold 18/19 (just over 3%). Only happening to the high mileage sponsored riders, save for a couple.

I hope you're right. It's really hard to judge without any meaningful data. We have a local dealer that sells all three brands and a friend of my son that is a mechanic there. He says ctec is still showing fewer failures but didn't quote any numbers. Apparently they do quite a few Doo cranks once over 2K miles...and a lot of Polaris 800's as well as the 850 mess. Cat did make some pretty significant design changes. Based on what they did I have to think some of that was to remedy an issue v.s. just getting more hp. Time will tell.

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
please explain the aftermarket fixes needed, I'm a little lost on the bastard motor analogy. you sayin they are unreliable and won't make parts for them anymore?

it is a 2 year only motor, and now they are totally redesigning it. it is not a long term motor, and never will be, due to the new motor. cat will make parts and service us (18-19 owners) for a while but, for how long?

thinking along the lines of the polaris fix, indydan fix, update etc... for maintenance. thinking that the performance updates most of us do, pipes, cans, flash, maps, intake, clutching, advancements, will dry up for us, with the new 2020 platform taking the performance shops time, money and development.

the 2020 motors WILL BE AND ARE DIFFERENT than the 18-19 model year motor. if the new motor is a hit, our 2 year only motor may be a dinosaur (bastard), that we may not get anymore help with, is what i am trying to convey.

if you were speedwerx, black magic, bikeman, SSI etc... would you spend anymore time on this 2 year only, platform than you had to, with a new motor platform and customer database, clamoring for those same performance modifications?

i was really hoping for a stage 2, stage 3 flash and updates from precision. now all we hear about is the cat flash "we must have" for the flame, idle issues. and the new motor package for the new model years. to say i am concerned with my purchase, and investment, is an UNDERSTATEMENT! Ski

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
it is a 2 year only motor, and now they are totally redesigning it. it is not a long term motor, and never will be, due to the new motor. cat will make parts and service us (18-19 owners) for a while but, for how long?

thinking along the lines of the polaris fix, indydan fix, update etc... for maintenance. thinking that the performance updates most of us do, pipes, cans, flash, maps, intake, clutching, advancements, will dry up for us, with the new 2020 platform taking the performance shops time, money and development.

the 2020 motors WILL BE AND ARE DIFFERENT than the 18-19 model year motor. if the new motor is a hit, our 2 year only motor may be a dinosaur (bastard), that we may not get anymore help with, is what i am trying to convey.

if you were speedwerx, black magic, bikeman, SSI etc... would you spend anymore time on this 2 year only, platform than you had to, with a new motor platform and customer database, clamoring for those same performance modifications?

i was really hoping for a stage 2, stage 3 flash and updates from precision. now all we hear about is the cat flash "we must have" for the flame, idle issues. and the new motor package for the new model years. to say i am concerned with my purchase, and investment, is an UNDERSTATEMENT! Ski
2020 still uses the same pipe and can as older 2 yr basturd and even older longtime runner the zuke... JS......

Polaris

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018

Buying a snowmobile is not a good investment.... Ever

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007

it might not even snow next winter. maybe AOC was right!?!
I shouldn't have bought this house! ahhhh!!!

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Looking at a 2019 Hardcore that had snow ingestion causing scuffed piston/cylinders complete topend under warranty, 600 miles since repair no issuess. Would this be a good idea for the snow issue?

How did you get warranty on that? Did it have an engine failure? Or did you look up the intake/exhaust to see the pistons or such then took it in?

Also I'd look at dealing up your intake, mine sucked snow up at the screens even, had to seal it all over, couldn't believe it but I got hail up there driving down the road on the inside of the screens!

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I don't know if the BDX intake is the best if you're trying to avoid snow ingestion issues. When I asked Bikeman about doing pistons in my suzuki big bore the first thing they asked is if I was running one of their intakes. I am and they said look for scoring from snow ingestion. I had hardly any, but I'm also running way more oil at 32:1 premix than the Ctec that is probably helping me out.

Premium Features