• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2020, decisions decisions

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Im planning on putting in my snowcheck this week, but im having a hard time with picking, 154 mountain cat or hardcore? Has anyone seen the silver on the mountain cat? How does it look in person? I was thinkiing hardcore, but its about a 10 lb weight penalty, is it worth it? Ill be putting running boards and probably a rear bumper on it anyway. So then it comes down to shocks. And i think i like the harcore colors better.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
I like the grey better then the silver. I saw all three models in person. HC if I was checking this year.

Griff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Make the decision based on your riding style and the mechanical features of the sled not the color.

If I wasn't so far behind the 8 ball on this Axys I'd be ordering a Hardcore. I am very impressed with the Alpha.

Last edited:

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Im planning on putting in my snowcheck this week, but im having a hard time with picking, 154 mountain cat or hardcore? Has anyone seen the silver on the mountain cat? How does it look in person? I was thinkiing hardcore, but its about a 10 lb weight penalty, is it worth it? Ill be putting running boards and probably a rear bumper on it anyway. So then it comes down to shocks. And i think i like the harcore colors better.

The biggest thing will be deciding on shocks. Do you want air or coilovers? Hardcore looks better imo but I could ride the other if I wanted floats. I ordered a hardcore. If they are 10 pounds heavier you won't notice it guaranteed. If anything, my bet is the hardcore rides lighter from the factory. Coilovers are more linear. The tail section is also supposed to be a thicker gauge on the hardcore which seems needed.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I'm riding the 19 0ne more yr. The 2021 chassis upgrades are impressive. U guys won't believe the difference.

reduce

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
I feel like the mountaincat is the equivalent of the beefy Polaris model. maybe all that is needed for most?
hardcore if you're hardcore

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Is the rear tunnel section beefed up the HC? Depending on how (if) they did it (possibly irrelevant depending on the rear bumper you go with) that could be worth the upgrade IMO.

Either way if it were me I would probably go with the HC for the coil overs, just never really been impressed with air shocks. Color to me should never be a deciding factor in a sled BUT I see no shame in paying a few hundred bucks extra for the color you want. LOL man did the "I'm not buying an Alpha because of the 250sq inches of purple wahhh, wahh, wahh" guys bug me, and I thought they were ugly BUT GET OVER IT. If you're buying it to look at it I can think of a lot better things to spend your money on :face-icon-small-hap

Glad to see some guys jumping ship. Looking forward to hearing some reviews next season.

Turblue

Lifetime Membership
Jun 11, 2004
Alberta
I’d do hardcore just for the stronger tunnel and boards ...if you don’t liike the coil overs I’m sure a mountain cat guy would trade for the air shocks.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Although I’m disappointed cat is waiting a year for the new sled release, I think it’s a good thing for everyone. Gets more alphas out there and more people on cat and allows dealers to clean out inventory

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Although I’m disappointed cat is waiting a year for the new sled release, I think it’s a good thing for everyone. Gets more alphas out there and more people on cat and allows dealers to clean out inventory
I agree, i look at what the m series forum used to be like back in 2011ish to what the cat forums are now, being removed from them since ive been riding polaris since 13-14 season, is kinda disappointing the lack of activity in this forum. Cat put out what was an inferior product along with terrible advertising and dealer support for so long that so many people jumped ship. Hopefully with the good snowcheck pricing, and that cat seems to be at least on par with the others, some people like myself will come back to cat.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
well if they really did improve an already great motor, thats about all you could ask for for one year, on the average, how sleds go. should have some unmentioned tweaks I bet, like airbox gaps, I would hope. shocks..
how bout that '81 puma taillight tho! Edison would be so proud.

U
Feb 24, 2019
Put money down on the Riot X today. Can’t wait to have a sled with a shorter track for days when the powder isn’t ideal.

Premium Features