• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sled videos need to get to this level....

A

Ak nitro

Dec 1, 2007
Cortez Colorado
Yeah, Mack Dawg has been making snowboard movies for a long time, this year they came out with double decade, 20 years of snowboard movie highlights. They do a lot of creative fliming with different moving shots.

C
Nov 28, 2007
MT/DC
yes skiing/snowmbaording have always been a step above sled videos but give it time, sled producers are comming up with some great things too!

check out this trailer.. a lil better in my eyes
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=_2Y5TzezLz8

that was a good trailer, i just though picture this kinda set the bar considering it came out last year with all those dynamic/HD shots...

im just over the old camera on a hill across from where the guy is sledding....

A
Nov 27, 2007
McCall Idaho
cmantle I tottally agree and this season I hope to bring a new aspect to filming sledding. the catch is it is hard packing in a 50+pound dolly to get the cross motion shots. Also the zip line tree shots reqiure major set up time but usually worth it.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
Not to mention the cost of helicopters and snocat mounted booms..... It helps to have the heli connections...

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
What was that dude thinking at the end? Just sits and stares at the avy like its going to give him a bid cuddly hug! WHAM!

Sweet cam angles though

C
Nov 28, 2007
MT/DC
Agreed guys! ive been involved in skiing since i could walk, and ive seen the videos change into what they are, and i see the same happening in sledding vids, but just want it to kick in sooner than later!

i also think some of the stuff guys are doing would be SO much more impressive to the average joe if they were shown differently....

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
the market for skiing boarding videos is larger so they have they can have a higher production cost. so they tend to be a little nicer in the aspect, but i got to say, the boost 3 teaser has some nice filming in it. honestly i almost like to watch a good home video of a guy slaying pow constantly just having fun, maybe not the best rider, but somebody who is making some cool lines. makes you feel like your there, not just watching a video.

J
Nov 30, 2007
Clovis, California
bigger market...more people buy vids...more exposure for the sponsors equals more money to the video guys to produce films with better production value.

check this teaser out from the single most expensive snow sports video made to date (produced over this past winter).

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=LoF6TS4lSGk

when a good snowboard set up costs under 1K and a season pass at your local hill is about $400 you got a lot of people jumpin' in. average cost of a capable sled to get into the backcountry is well over 10K...its tough to get people to come on over to the sport. :(

jeff

bigger market...more people buy vids...more exposure for the sponsors equals more money to the video guys to produce films with better production value.

check this teaser out from the single most expensive snow sports video made to date (produced over this past winter).

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=LoF6TS4lSGk
jeff

heck, Jeff, give you and I two copters with wescam or spacecam plus our HD cams with about 100 hours of fly time and we can shoot that stuff all day long...now who wants to pony up the $150K? I know lots of riders who would like to be filmed!

V

Veedy

Jan 27, 2004
Revelstoke, BC
www.farwestfilms.com
TO strap me to a bungee under that chopper, because i'm in there with ya. I would love to afford to shoot 35mm at $20 a processed foot, it's a little out of my budget. I have a 16 mm Bolex and working on an Arriflex, but even those are a little 'spensive. I will stick to HD for now. Maybe even shoot with a 5D mk11, who knows ?
Honestly that Redbull footage gives me wood.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Looked preety basic to me. Im Running a T1 and why do ppl like it when they slow down the moves. Kinda chop it. if this was a sled video i wouldent buy it.

o btw. 1:50 was classic.

Last edited:
well... all these teaser is cinematic p*rn but... as stated... the budget on a SB/ski film is huuuge and they have production STUDIOS following the riders... i mean, come on..

aaand, as bottomfeeder said... WHY oh why does everything have to be slo-mo?
SB/skifilms CAN slow things down to show the insane tricks they do but when you slow down a sledfilm you can't use engine noise and that is 30% or whatever of the whole sledexperience... gotta hear engines in a sledfilm...

watch Turnagain 7 if you don't get what im trying to say..
INSANE tricks nice angles/filming and good riders but basically everything is slo-mo to chill music and guess what....it get's boring after a while...
and i hate that cause i actually use my own money to buy DVD's and i don't like wasting money..

oops, i said p * r n... sorri ;)

H

H.I. McDunna

Dec 18, 2007
Board films are for yuppies and patogonia types.

I will take a meathead sled movie a quart of oil and loud mod 2 stroke anyday. The more "clean" and copy-ish it becomes of snowboard movies.....the more it's a snowboard movie.

Not a sled movie. A sled movie is like sledders. A little irreverent. like Slednecks = Rednecks. I wonder why such a great sled movie title stuck so well....hmmmm.

heck. Look at the avatars in this post! look at ridn Ak.....looks like that guy would like a clean techno video with lots of in deepth interviews know "more' about the rider!!! either that or a hot chick on a sled???

Not saying these ski movies suck. I like them. But i am a sledder/sledneck.

We are snowmobilers. And i am proud of it.

Last edited:

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
I've bought the last two years of SandBox Snowboard vids. Love em. Super cool, shows you a different perspective and if you're watching the format and the layout you can learn some things. Can't wait for this years installment.

C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
TO strap me to a bungee under that chopper, because i'm in there with ya.

I know I'm not a videographer... but I'd love to do THAT! ^^^^

I will take a meathead sled movie a quart of oil and loud mod 2 stroke anyday.

We are snowmobilers. And i am proud of it.

HAHAHAA Got your wife beater on this morning? ;)

I think sled videos have come WAY far in the past few years. The talent in these producers and videographers is stellar! And for the small potatoes that they get to work with... they do a fabulous job. :)

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
Even if you dont like what the videos about, this movie is amazing! my buddy got it last night and ive never seen a sports vid like it....

If sled movies were made this way, i would be WAYYYY more inclined to buy them...

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=hZo6CxR6ZhY

have you seen the trailer for Evolution? the new 509 fiolm seems to be taking things in the more artistic videographer direction...several of the scenes while of stationary rider, and showing more artistic flare...(did I really just say that?)

but personally, am excited to have it and looking forward to seeing this whole scene develop more...

Premium Features