• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Wireless

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
Ok I want to go wireless in my house. What do I need and what do I have to do?

I have a d-link wireless router from when I had T-Mobile at home for my cell and I have the router my cable company hooked my computer up to when I got internet.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Surrey, BC
Do you have the software for the D-Link router? You'll need that in order to configure router settings IE SSID, password, encryption type etc. The basic outline is:

1. Install config software for router.
2. Connect PC directly to router and configure your router settings.
3. Connect router to Cable modem
4. Install/configure Wireless adapter on PC to match those on the router configured in step 2.

These are basic steps. All depends on make/model of all equipment, of course. Got any IT buddies, or neighbourhood kids you can ask for help? ;)

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
P.S. D-link is JUNK. You will have nothing but trouble with that brand. If you are going to take time to set up something set up something reliable like linksys or such.
Actually, they're not bad.

Snoman69

Lifetime Membership
Oct 2, 2003
Colorado Springs
I think linksys and belkin are better routers, but that could be a day long debate....

One thing, DON"T install the crap software that comes with any router/modem... All it does is put useless crap on ur PC....

To configure the router all you have to do is plug into it and type the IP address of it...

D-Link is 192.168.0.1
Linksys is 192.168.1.1

This typically brings you to a login screen. Most default to no username and the PW is admin. If yours has been changed, just reset it back to factory default.

Once you are logged in, you cna configure the router as you need... All of this is done with out installing crap software....

B
Nov 26, 2007
Surrey, BC
Once you are logged in, you cna configure the router as you need... All of this is done with out installing crap software....

True, but for those who have never done this before, or have technical background, may take comfort in a few prompts or wizard help along the way. I'm guessing if that's the case, OP may not have posted asking for help in the first place. :rolleyes:

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
Remove old router installed by cable company, connect D-Link router. Upgrade firmware if available.

Then do what Snoman said.

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
True, but for those who have never done this before, or have technical background, may take comfort in a few prompts or wizard help along the way. I'm guessing if that's the case, OP may not have posted asking for help in the first place. :rolleyes:

bingo.

dumb question but will I have plug any wireless router into my cable company modem or can I plug the wireless router right into my wall jack?

As it is I have to plug the D-link into my modem and computer, which defeats the purpose. I want to move my computer to another spot without a wall jack, hence the need for wireless.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Surrey, BC
Yes, you must plug the Cable modem into wall jack to provide internet access and then you connect the wireless router to the cable modem to provide wireless access points for equipment ie PC, laptop, printers etc.

Since you've always had a 'wired' connection between your PC and router, I'm assuming your PC only has an Ethernet adapter (fat looking phone jack on back of PC and no antennae). Most modern laptops have integrated (built-in) WIRELESS adapters on board (antennae may not be visible). Most PCs only have integrated ETHERNET, which does not mean WIRELESS.

If that's true, you are in need of a WIRELESS adapter for your PC.

Think of the Wireless adapter your need to buy, as a direct replacement for just the cable, between the PC and the wireless router.

If you go to your local computer or big box store, you're looking to buy a 'Wireless Adapter' for your PC. This can come in different connection types ie USB or PCI (PCI requires physical insertion into the computers mainboard by opening the chassis). Usually the salekid or person will be able to help with which to buy, if you provide your computers make and model and outline what you're doing.

Telling us your computer make/model and D-Link Model may be helpful too.

Hope this is helping.:face-icon-small-hap
:beer;

Last edited:

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
computer is a Dell Dimension E520, D-Link is TM-G5240.

Let me know if you need more info or even pics of the current setup.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Surrey, BC
That PC has 2 PCI slots, so you are free to purchase either the PCI or USB Wireless adapter as I mentioned in previous post. They run about $60 here in canada. Any big box electronic store will have them. USB might be easier since you don't have to open the PC chassis. Once you buy the wireless adapter, you'll have what you need to convert your PC from wired, to wireless.

Check out the D-Link website or contact them directly to try and find the config software for your router. I'm not familiar with how to instruct the setup through posts, so you're best off asking for some local help if you can.

Good luck with your upgrade! :)

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
I just bought a USB adapter for my 'puter. It works wonderfully. Paid $29 for a belkin one at staples.
You'd be a lot better off with a PCI wireless card or a wireless bridge.

USB is not intended for networking, and the behind-the-scenes drivers to make that work are ugly.

Premium Features