• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

crack in water jacket crank case top

K
Dec 3, 2013
South Lake Tahoe
Last edited:
R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
What made the crack? I would take it apart and see. Possible to weld the case from the crank side, but would be hard to weld as in the pics, never mind the contamination freeze, oil etc.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
I think a good welder could close that up as is with out taking anything apart....if not stuff a small cloth down there...spray with brake clean..v notch as much as possible with a dermal...
then marine tex/marine epoxy or jb weld..

wet vac after for clean up..

K
Dec 3, 2013
South Lake Tahoe
it happened when a piston blew and a piece of it got in there as the rod went around... ****ty, i know but i bought it knowing the top end was shot, i put new cylinder and two new pistons, rings, and gaskets... Put it together and it leaked coolant into the left cylinder... so that's how it happened. I guess i'm gonna pull the crank case and see if i can get someone to weld it..case out?. Any trick to pulling the crank case out? The pull start looks like it could be a pain...:face-icon-small-fro

sledr4life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
assuming the pipe and can are already out, cylinders/carbs/clutch are apparently off? you will need to disconnect the following
pull the starter rope out and tie a slip knot in the rope so it wont retract
remove 4 recoil cover bolts, may be torx or hex head. The cover can just lay in the belly pan
disconnect the wiring
Remove coolant hoses at the motor after placing a large drip pan under the sled to catch coolant. do not reuse.
Scribe around motor mount washers for easier reinstall location. you will need to realign the clutches.
Remove 4- 16mm engine mount bolts and washers
Tip motor forward and hold in tipped position with a small block of wood. remove the oil pump circlip and washer (put in zip lock bag so not to lose it)
Remove main oil line from pump and tie up along resivore so as not to lose additional oil
Remove pulse line for fuel pump.

I think that should get it out.

sledr4life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I forgot to add

if you are going to split the case there are bolts and cap screws on both top/bottom and the recoil flange

You will also need a puller to remove the flywheel prior to splitting the case.

Premium Features