• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best lightweight battery for a Nytro?

dexter

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2007
Anyone know how long that ytz7s battery would crank the sled for if you had issues in the mountains. Just bought one, seems quite small, not many cranking amps (about a third of the ytz20s). Nice and light though about a 9 lb savings.

W

woodies

i rode with a guy had a plug to go from his headlight to another sleds in case battery was low this was 3 years ago on apex.anyone here of this before?9 lbs is lot of weight!

dexter

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2007
my friend had one made but I'm not sure if he ever tried it. suppose to work

D

dcturbo

Mar 2, 2008
WYO
If you get the lightweight battery just make sure up pack along the mini jumper cables!!! And dont stop long when its cold and windy!!

T

Tookes

Nov 26, 2007
Anchorage
Welp it's sounding like going to the lighter weight one, is not the ticket. Thanks for the input.

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
Welp it's sounding like going to the lighter weight one, is not the ticket. Thanks for the input.

nah, they are all talking about the YTZ7 (only 130 CCA's), try checking out the YTZ10 with 190 CCA's almost 50% more and only 2lbs difference...

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
couldn't this just be a simple cig lighter jack plug on each end?

granted, it maybe quite a few amps to pull through that wiring... maybe just to let it charge a few minutes?
or for cold morning starts...run from truck lighter to sled. i'm just a bit worried about the amprage draw ...

seems like a good idea.

prob safest to run the 10S (190 CCA) for an extra 2-2.5 lbs...your still saving ~7 lbs over stock.
for 100$ thats a good wt to $ ratio..

when you look at other options:

9lbs = ~800$ (barkbuster front end)
6lbs = ~600$ (fox floats-front)

7lbs = 107$ (battery)

and as easy and quick as it is, its even more worth while! assuming the 10S holds up well on cold mornings, etc..

Last edited:

mtnmodviper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Pocatello, Idaho
I ran the YTZ7S for 1400 miles last season on my nytro and never had a problem. I now have one for my other nytro. These came from Interstate Batteries, but I believe they are built by yuasa.

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
I have one, works slick, all 4 stroke ridders should have one!

mountain performance makes one, anyone else? can you get one from yammie?

as described above...this is a pic of the MPI one...like $50

charging_cable800.jpg

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
That looks simple enough to make. I like the idea, because you could charge the battery off of sled that dosn't have electric start.
I think I would add a low amperage re-setable in line curcuit breaker to it though. To help protect the charging system of the booster sled, from excessive amperage loads.
Wouldn't want to fry a guy's stator!

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
That looks simple enough to make. I like the idea, because you could charge the battery off of sled that dosn't have electric start.
I think I would add a low amperage re-setable in line curcuit breaker to it though. To help protect the charging system of the booster sled, from excessive amperage loads.
Wouldn't want to fry a guy's stator!

here is description from MPI's site...

This custom built cable is designed to jump charge an RX-1 battery from any snowmobile. Most snowmobiles have an AC electrical system, making it impossible to directly connect to the RX-1. Our cable has a built in power converter so it plugs into any sleds head light (AC or DC). Don't be caught without one!

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
here is description from MPI's site...

sounds nice, but i still think just plugging into the cig lighter could work?
should just be simple ground / +12v leads into the cig lighter?

for simple "charging" i don't see why it can't work?

hell, they have those jump start deals for cars that plug in to cig lighter of a vehicle? "no opening the hood (or side panel)!" :eek:

Premium Features