• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

got a gremlin

P
Oct 7, 2008
Smithers,BC
this is gonna be a long post so hold on. 09 m8 w bd pump gas turbo randomly dies. after riding for a bit if you let it idle it will drop down to like 1100 rpm and drop a cylinder then if you barely feather it back up the cylinder will come back at 4000 rpm but it usually dies before it gets up there. if it does die it wont start for ever then randomly starts and runs great. the other nite had this happen and it fired back up after 20 miniutes and would idle on both cylinders but at 4000 rpm and over it would drop a cylinder again. rode it out 23 miles on one cylinder. ive bypassed the bd box and still does it. ive bypassed the coolant temp plug and still does it. all electrical conn. have been blown out and di. greased. no codes on dash, no inj. code on bd box. WTF!! thanks in advance

Team Pigeon

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2006
Pass Creek, BC.
On my M1, I kinda had intermittent electrical problems.
Dealers ( thank you various dealers in dealing with me) replaced the following in hopes of eliminating my problems:
3 ecu's
2 ccu's
air temp sensor
pipe temp sensor
main harness
hood harness
1 stator
headlights

They tested everything, tps, throttle micro switch, tether switch, fuel pump, swapped injectors.
Do you know which cylinder dies out?
Start out with the cheap stuff first....
swap injectors from side to side.

swap pipe temp sensor. It can be junk and not throw a code but will mess your sled up real good.

check the grounding
check stator
how's your fuel pressure when it's running like crap?

R
Mar 25, 2009
Palmer,AK.
I'd say coil.

With forced induction on cars the higher cylinder pressure requires higher voltage in the coil to push the spark over the increased resistance. A stock coil will work too hard and die.

Haven't heard of it being an issue with forced induction on sleds, but the same theories would apply anywhere.

Easy to swap a coil and see.

P
Oct 7, 2008
Smithers,BC
dealer recently had whole sled apart coils tested good, good ecu,ccu,stator. no wiring harness shorts. the chassis ground was disconnected and that was why i had no spark before. ground wire fixed and now this!

P
Oct 7, 2008
Smithers,BC
found the problem, two inj. wires on stock inj. plug were rubbed through there casing and shorting out on the fuel rail...sometimes:face-icon-small-dis thanks for info though

Premium Features