• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

best way to carry a good camera?

K

knee deep in it

Nov 21, 2007
calgary
I just picked up a Canon rebel xti and I am going to be using for some sled pics this winter. What is the safest way to minimize the chance of wrecking it? It is a little heavy for my backpack ( i don't like anything other than essentials in there) so I am thinking of a handlebar bag.

A tunnel bag might be to rough on it.

I just picked up a Canon rebel xti and I am going to be using for some sled pics this winter. What is the safest way to minimize the chance of wrecking it? It is a little heavy for my backpack ( i don't like anything other than essentials in there) so I am thinking of a handlebar bag.

A tunnel bag might be to rough on it.

I carry my xt in a padded handlebar bag, with no problems so far. I also have the Body Armor installed on camera, that seems to help.

M
Dec 15, 2007
Moyie B.C.
I carry a rather expensive camcorder in its regular camera bag tied to my handle bars. Seems to get knocked around a lot less there than anywhere else I tried. I put some extra foam in there just for protection. I didn't like it in my pack, 'cuz sometimes I need to get to it in a hurry before the shot is gone.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Heyburn Idaho
I use to carry mine in the tunnel bag but lost it once and takes a beating back there. I would go for a handlebar bag maybe pick up some extra foam at a fabric store to make it a little more firm. Ive seen several bycycle handlebar bags that would work great and fairly cheap.

D

Dragon Ink

Oct 1, 2008
Oregon
I pack mine in a storm case. I put four 1" rubber grommet under the case to help with vibration. I have the Canon rebel xti camera, been using it for two years with no problem. Just don't charge lens in bad weather.

ThousandSprings0409029.jpg

I pack mine in a storm case. I put four 1" rubber grommet under the case to help with vibration. I have the Canon rebel xti camera, been using it for two years with no problem. Just don't charge lens in bad weather.

ThousandSprings0409029.jpg

That sounds like a lesson learned the hard way. I usually try to just carry 1 lens, a Tamron 28-200mm is one I favor most of the time.

C

ccoleman77

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 27, 2008
Casper WY
Pelican case. Only way to go. Mine is permanently mounted to my tunnel. Its tough and on top of the tunnel keeps it warm.

K

knee deep in it

Nov 21, 2007
calgary
i was out fooling with the sled and discovered something - under the seat??

2006 seat wasn't raw chasis. There is an under seat storage compartment. I am thinking of lining it with the high density foam you would find in a pelican case. This and a camera case should keep the camera pretty safe.

Might even be room for a small camcorder I have.

SAWYER

Lifetime Membership
Jan 12, 2006
Kingston Idaho
I like to carry mine in the crack of my ***. It stays warm, lubricated (so the shutters open quickly) and if it ever falls out, you know it did. I ride standing up most of the time though

K

knee deep in it

Nov 21, 2007
calgary
I cut up the insides of an old pelican case I have and it fits like a glove. Tomorrow, I will glue everything in and then show some pics.

The raw chasis looks great but I am glad I have the 06

Dunatic

MODERATOR: Paid Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Jan 24, 2003
Plain City, Utah
I used a top load lowepro bag strapped to my chest for a couple years, it worked ok, I stepped up my camera equipment last year, and I went with the Lowepro flipside 200 backpack, It fits my D3 and 70-200 2.8 lens in it and I can actually get to my camera quicker, it's a cool backpack that has the zipper on the inside towards your back, you just slip it off your shoulder and swing it around front. I don't want my camera bouncing around on the back of my tunnel in a pelican case, I ride to hard :)

Premium Features